Dallas RB situation - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dallas RB situation

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dallas RB situation

Postby boobsgalore » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:50 pm

This is my first post, and I was just wondering why Dallas continues to split carries between Barber and J. Jones? Barber seems to be the far better back. The man runs like he's trying to kill someone. He stiff armed his way out of the back of the endzone yesterday to save a saftey. It was sick!! Anyway, sorry about the rant, but watching Barber sitting on the sidelines while J.J. is in the game has kind of started to tick me off...

Anyone know why Marion is not the feature back?
boobsgalore
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dallas RB situation

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:01 pm

julius jones gets a lot of money. they are also doing good with their current set up, jj and marion keep each other fresh.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby woodson_28 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:31 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:julius jones gets a lot of money.

don't think that's true. USA Today has J.Jones cap value at $756,396 for 2006 and $636,505 in 2005*. This is a contract year, but he's probably still under $1,000,000 and that's pretty inexpensive for a starting RB. MBIII is projected around $427,840 in 2006. J.Jones was a 2nd rd pick after all.

*http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=jones&player=3401&loc=interstitialskip
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:20 pm

I was thinking about this the last week. It makes sense to keep Julius Jones out there and running for a couple of reasons:

1. The Cowboys are winning. Why rock the boat when things are going good?

2. Julius Jones is in a contract year. Are the Cowboys going to keep him? Hell no. So why not take advantage of the fact that they can run him into the ground this year AND he's motivated to run well. They keep Marion Barber fresh the entire year and take some carries of this year to extend his "career lifespan" by taking less physical punishment.

Besides, while it would be great to have Marion Barber running every play, what would the Cowboys do if he went down in injury? I guess you can't really predict something like that, but still it helps to limit the amount of risk they expose themselves to by giving him plenty of rest. I think it's smart football to keep Julius Jones out on the field. It sucks for fantasy, but otherwise I get it.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby flexnsa » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:10 pm

biju wrote:I was thinking about this the last week. It makes sense to keep Julius Jones out there and running for a couple of reasons:

2. Julius Jones is in a contract year. Are the Cowboys going to keep him? Hell no. So why not take advantage of the fact that they can run him into the ground this year AND he's motivated to run well. They keep Marion Barber fresh the entire year and take some carries of this year to extend his "career lifespan" by taking less physical punishment.

Besides, while it would be great to have Marion Barber running every play, what would the Cowboys do if he went down in injury? I guess you can't really predict something like that, but still it helps to limit the amount of risk they expose themselves to by giving him plenty of rest. I think it's smart football to keep Julius Jones out on the field. It sucks for fantasy, but otherwise I get it.

That was a wise post I must say. My thoughts exactly!

To piggy back on that.... You should ask yourself one question, "Which RB is more expendable?" It does suck for fantasy, your right which is the reason I shyed away from either RB this year during the draft. Unfortunatley though I ended up with JJ, but only as a bye week starter, or if one of my other guys goes down.

On another note, if you've been watching the Cowboys games you would know that JJ has had several long runs ( I want to say 3 or 4) that have been called back on penatlies this year. Take that for what it's worth. The only thing you can hope for (as a Fantasy player) is that one of these guys get's injured and you have the healthy one on your team.
flexnsa
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby cooleyhigh » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:30 pm

I could see JJ coming back next year unless someone wants to pay him franchise RB money (yeah right). Cleveland needs to stop freaking winning games so we can get some McFadden :-B
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby boobsgalore » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:32 pm

biju wrote:I was thinking about this the last week. It makes sense to keep Julius Jones out there and running for a couple of reasons:

So going by what you said in #2 above, Barber will be keeper worthy since Jones won't be back next year?
Last edited by boobsgalore on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boobsgalore
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:04 am

Trust me guys, we are going to let someone go in the offseason, and it wont be Barber...JJ is a nice role player, but its alot easier to find a guy to replace him then it would be Barber...there are alot of needs to fill, and everyone cant stay, JJ doesnt really fit this offense that well anyway, he would be a better player with a fullback in front of him...As far as this year goes, both guys will split so expect to see what youve seen thus far unless JJ gets another concussion
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby TheDiplomats » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:15 am

Two great points. With that said, while Barbers value will continue to be limited this year..he has some very serious keeper/dynasty value. Julius Jones will NOT be back in Dallas after this year and I'm pretty sure they'll turn to MBIII as the main guy. If he is the main man in Dallas, he's easily a top 10 pick going into next year.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby eagle0588 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:26 am

JJ is definitely not worth it for Dallas to give a bunch of money to an underperfoming back like Jones. The guy just isn't that good, everytime i see him play he never finds the hole and he's always getting stuffed for like 2,3 yards. Barber is clearly the better back. Their RBBC however is working out pretty well with each back getting a breather and taking less of a beating. By next year, Barber should have experienced enough, not that he hasn't already, and learned enough to be a very dominant RB. Dallas should just ride JJ and get as much production from him since he's gonna want that big money after his contract ends, they won't sign him to a new contract and barber will be the main guy on that team.

On another note, I just want to make a prediction. I do see Tampa Bay taking interest in the off season of acquiring jones. First it was Tampa getting as many QBs, now it will be with RBs considering Cadillac's career is more than likely over, pittman is hurt and getting old. Bennett is not going to be the long term solution. Julius will get signed and those two will probably end up splitting carries.
eagle0588
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk