Dallas RB situation - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dallas RB situation

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Dallas RB situation

Postby alchemy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:48 am

In a keeper league, I just took a gamble on Jones as a throw-in on a deal. The guy is not performing well this year but he did get banged up considerably in the first couple games (I think two or three mild concussions).

My rationale on getting him is that it is a worthwhile risk / reward flier to take considering he's low price in my league and there are a few teams next year that could have questions marks at RB.

As much as Jones is not popular these days, the guy has managed some astonishingly good games in his short career (two games of 190+ yards and many games at 100 yards last year despite splitting carries).
alchemy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby boobsgalore » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:19 am

Another week of Barber looking like a top 5 back! His time is coming very soon.
boobsgalore
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:57 pm

We'll being a huge JJ guy coming into the season, I was really trying to sell him hard to people. But jees, Marion The Barbarion, what more is there to say? if JJ is gone next year and Tyson or someone of lesser stature is the back-up I'd take him top 8 in a dynasty.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby eagle0588 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:37 pm

aaawall91 wrote:We'll being a huge JJ guy coming into the season, I was really trying to sell him hard to people. But jees, Marion The Barbarion, what more is there to say? if JJ is gone next year and Tyson or someone of lesser stature is the back-up I'd take him top 8 in a dynasty.

why on earth would you be a huge JJ supporter? He isn't worth a whole lot and somebody's gotta really not watch football to know that or they are just desperate for a RB.
eagle0588
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby AcronymsFTW » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:49 pm

I don't know how much bearing this will have on the subject, but Marion Barber III was in a RBBC in college at Minnesota. That said, it seems more of a comfort zone for him to continue in that type of system. I'm probably in the minority - well I have yet to talk to anyone that agreed with me - but I think Julius Jones and Marion Barber III are in the perfect situation. Most NFL running backs have six years in their career in which they shine. After those six years are gone, they begin to dim at an alarming rate. I'm not going to bother with naming all the great backs that fall into this pattern.

My point is that NFL teams have been attempting for years to extend the playing careers of their star runners and I think that Dallas has found the recipe with Jones (4th year) and Barber (3rd year). I wouldn't say that MBIII and JJ are exceptional players, but I would say that one is above average (JJ) with the other being good (MBIII). With that said, I believe that Dallas can roll with both backs for the next ten years and still have a good rushing game.

That's not to say it'll fall out that way. Like many folks have already pointed out, Jones is in a contract year. Even though he hasn't been all that vocal about being the focal point, he'd probably leave Dallas if offered more money (that's simply the way the NFL is these days) and garunteed the oppurtunity to prove himself a star. I happen to think that Julius Jones is going to have a good career when all is said and done. He did after all almost rush for 3,000 yards behind less then steller offensive lines the past three seasons.
AcronymsFTW
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby TheDiplomats » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:56 pm

AcronymsFTW wrote:I don't know how much bearing this will have on the subject, but Marion Barber III was in a RBBC in college at Minnesota. That said, it seems more of a comfort zone for him to continue in that type of system. I'm probably in the minority - well I have yet to talk to anyone that agreed with me - but I think Julius Jones and Marion Barber III are in the perfect situation. Most NFL running backs have six years in their career in which they shine. After those six years are gone, they begin to dim at an alarming rate. I'm not going to bother with naming all the great backs that fall into this pattern.

My point is that NFL teams have been attempting for years to extend the playing careers of their star runners and I think that Dallas has found the recipe with Jones (4th year) and Barber (3rd year). I wouldn't say that MBIII and JJ are exceptional players, but I would say that one is above average (JJ) with the other being good (MBIII). With that said, I believe that Dallas can roll with both backs for the next ten years and still have a good rushing game.

That's not to say it'll fall out that way. Like many folks have already pointed out, Jones is in a contract year. Even though he hasn't been all that vocal about being the focal point, he'd probably leave Dallas if offered more money (that's simply the way the NFL is these days) and garunteed the oppurtunity to prove himself a star. I happen to think that Julius Jones is going to have a good career when all is said and done. He did after all almost rush for 3,000 yards behind less then steller offensive lines the past three seasons.

I'm sure Dallas would love to keep JJ, but he's going to garner quite a bit of interest around the NFL. Dallas will not resign him because they need help elsewhere both defensively and offensively. I actually feel that if Barber was the main guy in Dallas, he could put up a monster season. He has never been the main RB on a team before, but that doesn't mean he couldn't shoulder a full load. He just happened to be playing with talented RBs all throughout his career; Maroney in college and JJ in the NFL.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby squeentz » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:20 pm

TheDiplomats wrote:
AcronymsFTW wrote:I don't know how much bearing this will have on the subject, but Marion Barber III was in a RBBC in college at Minnesota. That said, it seems more of a comfort zone for him to continue in that type of system. I'm probably in the minority - well I have yet to talk to anyone that agreed with me - but I think Julius Jones and Marion Barber III are in the perfect situation. Most NFL running backs have six years in their career in which they shine. After those six years are gone, they begin to dim at an alarming rate. I'm not going to bother with naming all the great backs that fall into this pattern.

I'm sure Dallas would love to keep JJ, but he's going to garner quite a bit of interest around the NFL. Dallas will not resign him because they need help elsewhere both defensively and offensively. I actually feel that if Barber was the main guy in Dallas, he could put up a monster season. He has never been the main RB on a team before, but that doesn't mean he couldn't shoulder a full load. He just happened to be playing with talented RBs all throughout his career; Maroney in college and JJ in the NFL.

Agreed. I think if Barber was the feature back he'd be a top 3 back for sure. He's already on pace to put up over a 1000 yds and 10+ TDs while sharing the carries. It really is a double edged sword though. Would he be able to run with reckless abandon and have all that energy if it weren't for JJ taking some of the load? Who knows... definitely a good debate.
squeentz
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:28 pm

First off, I just love how Mathew Berry told everyone to sit Marion the Barbarian vs the Vikings, I didnt ;-D Figured he should have learned by now, Barber doesnt care who or waht defense he goes against, he runs so angry and with a vengeance...

Secondly about him being in a RBBC, I like that role but i think he garners more carries...Id be happy with him getting about 20, some games he leaves with 8 and thats just ridiculous, the RBBC situation does help him, he closes games, JJ starts them out...by the 4th qt the defense is tired, and he's out there running with reckless abandon, he hates going out of bounds, he tries to take your head off with his stiff arm(see Rodney Harrison), and he's so hard to bring down especially at that point in the game...now do I think he would run the same way in the 4th qt if he had played all game?? I dont think anyone knows, but he deserves his shot at an increased role, thing is, he is so good at everything, he deserves to be on the field at all times, goal line, 3rd downs, 1st down, early or late...I think Dallas should just bring in another speed back(Slaton?) and give him 10 carries a game to Barbers 20, let Slaton get a few series, and get more work in the 1st half...There isnt one thing Barber isnt good at, his versatility is why he is so special, just listen to what Bill Parcells says about him, he called him the closer, and raved about him the entire time he was there, type of guy Bill loves

Bill Parcells suggested Barber be known as "The Closer" because of his ability to end drives with touchdown runs.

Now teammate Terrell Owens has bestowed Barber with perhaps the most-fitting nickname: "Marion the Barbarian."

Anyone who has seen him run, and certainly anyone who has tried tackling him, understands the reference.

The 6-foot, 221-pound Barber is what coaches call a downhill runner, someone who picks up steam as he chugs along. He lowers his shoulders and runs over defenders instead of going around them -- unless he first shoves them out of the way with a stiff arm.

But Barber is at his best in tight spaces, when he needs to bash open his own holes. Like near the goal line.

Barber led the NFC with 14 rushing touchdowns last season. Nine came from 3 yards or less. Only one covered more than nine yards.

"He kind of challenges people and dares not to be stopped," Owens said. "It's sort of barbaric. That's how I came up with the nickname."

Barber is tied for the NFL lead with three TDs this season, and each has been memorable.

In the opener, Dallas was trailing 6-3 and facing fourth-and-1 from the New York Giants 18 when new coach Wade Phillips opted to go for it. The ball went to Barber and all he did was shake a defender at the line, bounce outside, shove away a second defender, then dive headfirst toward the end zone from around the 5. A third defender hit Barber, flipping him over the goal line for the go-ahead score.

This past Sunday against Miami, Barber added two more: a typical 1-yarder burrowing through the line -- another go-ahead TD, by the way -- then a 40-yarder that was a career best by 12 yards.

Yet the play that sums up Barber's style was his very first carry against the Dolphins. It was only a five-yard gain around the right end, but it ended with his helmet being ripped off by trash-talking linebacker Joey Porter, drawing a personal foul.

Earlier in the week, Porter had said, "Barber thinks he's a tough guy sometimes. ... That's my type of fight, so I'm going to be looking for him." If this opening salvo was meant as further intimidation, it didn't work. Barber finished with 89 yards, his most in 26 games and the third-best of his career.

Asked this week if his opinion of Barber had changed, Porter said: "It doesn't matter."

Barber is no trash-talker. In fact, he's not much of a talker at all, at least not to reporters.

He's also not much of a complainer about splitting time with Julius Jones. Jones is the starter and Barber is, well, the closer.

Their combination is a classic blend of speed (Jones) and power (Barber). Jones gets more carries but Barber gets more out of his, averaging more yards per carry and, of course, piling up more TDs.

"It's a team," Jones said. "He's doing a good job. He breaks tackles well and he's productive. It's a good combination. If I'm having a tough day, where defenses are sticking me like they were (in Miami) that's when he breaks loose. I'm sure the same will go the other way. That's the way it is."

Fans have been wanting Barber to get the ball more since he was a rookie in 2005. Alas, this may be the one area where Phillips and Parcells agree the most: Why mess with a good thing? It's also worth noting that Barber was at his best in college when he shared the load at Minnesota with Laurence Maroney, now the starter in New England.

"I see everybody's point that Marion's doing some great things for us and that's what we hoped he'll do but the other guy is doing some good things for us too," Phillips said. "I think it's working the way we're doing it."

Even with Jones off to a slow start, the Cowboys have scored 82 points, most in the NFL. Their 47 points from inside the opponents' 20-yard line is more than 21 teams have scored overall.

That trend is likely to slow when Dallas goes to Chicago on Sunday night.

The Bears' ferocious defense is based on stopping the run. They've already slowed LaDainian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson and now will be ready for Barber and Jones.

"I think the main thing is they've got fresh legs in there all the time," Chicago linebacker Brian Urlacher said. "Jones is the straight-ahead speed guy. Barber is more of the cutback, patient guy."

Urlacher made no bring-it-on challenge, a la Porter.

He even seemed to take offense at the idea a Barbarian was headed his way.

"Is that what he is?" Urlacher said in a testy voice. "A smashmouth guy?"

He'll find out soon enough.

In terms of RBBC next year, Wade will probably want to still do that to an extent, but if JJ goes down it would really give Barber a chance to show what he can do

Another thing definately worth mentioning, is Barber carried the ball 19 times last week, JJ had 9...no back this year had topped 69 yds against the Vikings, and this is the first rushing td they gave up...thats what a big, strong, physical patient runner can give you
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Flyn high again » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:09 pm

Even if Jones was injured or left the team, someone else would be getting carries. Granted, they might not get the 10 carries Jones does but MB3 isn't going to run for 30 carries per game regardless of who the back up/starter is.

With that said, Jones has already had two concussions this year so he is possibly one more concussion away from some time off. That would escalate MB3's value tremendously. Instead of 15 points, he'd probably get 20+ most weeks.

I just offered JJ for the Tampa DEF [Baltimore bye week] so I'm hoping MB3 continues to be the workhorse for the rest of the year.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Flyn high again » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:56 pm

Here's an update although it doesn't really say anything new except that Phillips still won't give Barber the credit he deserves:

Cowboys To Continue With Dual Running Back System
Clarence E. Hill, Star-Telegram - [Full Article]

Dallas Cowboys HC Wade Phillips won't admit to RB Marion Barber's emergence as the team's primary runner. He tactfully says Barber and Julius Jones are both important keys to the team's success. However, that Barber, with his hard-running style, is the workhorse back in the fourth quarter is no coincidence, Phillips says. Barber rushed 11 times for 67 yards in the fourth against Minnesota on Sunday, giving him 32 carries for 232 yards in fourth quarters this season. "Barber is a powerful inside runner, and you want to hammer it inside as much as you can late in the game," Phillips said. "He's the type of guy, if the team is worn down a little bit, he can punish them."
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk