This is so dumb, I feel I am missing something - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

This is so dumb, I feel I am missing something

Moderator: Football Moderators

This is so dumb, I feel I am missing something

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:55 pm

10 team league, start 1QB, 3Wr, 2RB, WR/RB, TE, WR/TE, Kicker, Defense

I have Kitna and my opponent this week is starting three Detroit WRs (this guy does this every now and again if he feels one team is gonna blow up, he will take his lumps one week). anyway, I know people say "play the guy who will score the most points" but in this case, I don't see how I could NOT play Kitna, as he essentially wipes those three off the board--good or bad. I realize fumbles etc. factor in, but I just don't see how he can roll with three guys like that, with me having the actual person passing them the ball. Even if Detroit stinks, that gives me a 10-8 slot advantage after that game.

I don't really need advice on start/sit per se, becase kitna was drafted as my starter. Just wondering if overall I am missing something, or basically if I am correct in thinking this is really handcuffing him this week.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: This is so dumb, I feel I am missing something

Postby Sgt. Apone » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:20 pm

yes, starting 3 WRS on the same team is dumb, even if it is the Lions, and if it's a PPR league, he will outscore you if those guys go off - Kitna only gets yardage and TD's not the PPR
sig. by Deluxe
Sgt. Apone
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby VikesFan2823 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:23 pm

I wouldn't treat it any differently then a normal week. Just because he has three WR's on the same team doesn't mean you HAVE to try and cancel them out.

Look at your QB matchup. If Kitna has the better matchup, play him. If your other QB has a better matchup, play him. Field the best team you can, regardless of what he is doing.
VikesFan2823
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:30 pm

Not PPR. I know I don't have to cancel them out, but it seems weird to not play the percentages in an instance like this. I almost never base it on the opposition anymore, since you can't tell who will get the TD anyway. But strategically, this seems like something I should do. And as a matter of fact, there is half a point per completion.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby skibrett15 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:25 pm

If you think your 10 players will beat his 8 straight up then play kitna. All you're doing is saying you can't predict everything, which is smart. If you could predict everything then maybe kitna is not your best choice, maybe he is. But take the risk with kitna even if you think your other qb might score more. But if he changes his lineup... you might be screwed. This will only work if he doesn't change his lineup.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bdrotoronto » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:15 pm

I'd start Kitna if I were you. Your reasoning is valid. As long as he doesn't change his lineup at the last minute, and as long as your 10 remaining players are better than his other 8 players, then you should be in good shape. Basically it could turn the game from an 11-vs.-11 into a 10-vs.-8.

But who is your other quarterback?
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby codered7 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:34 am

canceln wides is a very good strat. When i was vs stevie, and he blew up, I was usn Delhommey...no harm done to me :D
thnx madaslives911 fo the sig! you da man!

Ochenta y Cinco! Who?
Ochenta y Cinco! Who?
Ocho Cinco Biatch! O ok.
codered7
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:14 am

this is kind of a weird league. i wouldn't call it "deep" per se, but with three wides, two different flexes, it makes the wire a tad thin... So, he is kind of screwed with his receiver situation, because in terms of what he could switch out on the wire, the detroit guys are in fact the "better" start in terms of points for him. Between that, injuries and byes, he almost HAS to start those guys. His bench is Derek Anderson, a spare TE which he needs this week and Braylon Edwards (Bye), Brian Leonard, and an Extra defense. So, he can't really drop out either, because you can't drop Anderson or Edwards.

This guy did a similar strategy (which almost worked) in 2004 with Eagles players. He took his one lump (or so he thought) then smoked almost everyone for a while-...Although I think this is just a tad silly.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:47 am

I think you start Kitna. Reasons being is either:

A) If he does well with 3 WRs, or even 2 of them, You'll get that same love back in one position. Granted it's not as much but it's still better than having them blow up and you sitting Kitna and your backup QB doesn't fair as well or
B) You both don't prosper, except that he'll have 3 duds to your 1.

Either way you still get 2 extra guys that could possibly make up any difference that you need ;D Now if I was on the other end of this, I may be worried about using his strategy.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby quitesanemax » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:26 am

I don't see that it matters in determining who you would play. You play the best QB you have. Heres a scenario where he'd be doing good, and you'd do bad to play Kitna. If each of his WRs gets 100 yards, but scores no TDs, in most leagues thats 30 pts for him, and 10 pts (1 pt/30 yds) for you. Likely for every TD you get, he gets one too. And you get penalized for Kitna's interceptions. Yeah its dumb that he is playing 3 WRs from the same team (assuming he has other reasonable choices), but I don't see how that has anything to do with your decision of who to play at QB.
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk