Return to Football Talk

The Super Bowl in London???

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Super Bowl in London???

Postby stomperrob » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:01 pm

Oct. 15, 2007, 8:15PM
Super Bowl may someday be held in London

Associated Press

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — A future Super Bowl champion may someday be crowned overseas in a game witnessed predominantly by a foreign audience, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said.

"There's a great deal of interest in holding a Super Bowl in London," Goodell told reporters Monday. "So we'll be looking at that."

The commissioner said London's new Wembley Stadium would make a great candidate for pro football's biggest matchup, given the enthusiasm overseas for the game.

The NFL has been expanding its overseas presence for years by televising games around the world. It's held preseason games in numerous countries in Europe, Asia, Mexico and Canada, and in 2005, the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers played the first regular-season match outside the United States.

The game at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City drew the league's largest crowd to date, 103,467.

On Oct. 28, Wembley will host the first regular-season NFL game outside North America. It took just 90 minutes to sell the first 40,000 tickets for the game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants. Goodell said event organizers have sold 95,000 tickets in all.

Goodell spoke about the possibility of a British Super Bowl after a luncheon Monday in Scottsdale sponsored by the host committee for the 2008 Super Bowl in Arizona.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: The Super Bowl in London???

Postby Atog » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:47 pm

I don't think it'll happen for a long time. That would be like having the MLB all-star game in Germany :-S
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jayday » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:18 pm

No way that will happen...

The SuperBowl will always be broadcast live in primetime here in the states. Here's why: When it's 8 p.m. here, it's 1 a.m. in London...Doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the conflict unless Goodell thinks having the SuperBowl ending around dawn is a good thing.

jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:57 pm

Other than the issue of the starting time, I don't really see any difference where the SB is held. It's not like the average fan can afford to go to a SB nowadays anyways. :-[
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Atog » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:06 pm

beanoX3 wrote:Other than the issue of the starting time, I don't really see any difference where the SB is held. It's not like the average fan can afford to go to a SB nowadays anyways. :-[

Unfortunately true, but I don't think much can be done to solve that.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mr Irrelevant » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:09 pm

Agreed, wouldnt make much difference to 99.9% of fans where the game will be played; we re just going to watch it on television anyways. The fans that do make it to the game are all corporate sponsors and celebs. As for the time conflict, the game can be played at a 8PM kickoff London time, for a 3PM kickoff time in NY.
Mr Irrelevant
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby macdona1 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:40 pm

As cool as it sounds, I think that would be the worst move ever. You can play any game over in Europe that you want, but the Super Bowl is an American event/holiday, to hold it in London would be blasphemy. I think that people forget that 75% of the Super Bowl goes on before the game is even played, do you really think a bunch of Brits are just going to out of nowhere get "Super Bowl" fever?
macdona1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby biju » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:09 am

This pisses me off. The Superbowl audience is predominantly made up of corporate sponsorships that could really care less about the game itself. If you're going to make a move to get "foreigners" involved in the Superbowl, why not start with the folks that really want to go to the game: American fans. Right now 25% of the tickets to the game are held exclusively for NFL affiliates, the broadcasting network, corporate sponsors, etc. This doesn't include the number of corporate accounts that get tickets to the game through the "normal" means of applying for Superbowl tickets. Furthermore, the two teams in the Superbowl only get 35% of the tickets to split. The rest of the teams get 1% and the hosting city gets 9%. So the maximum allowed by one team is 17.5% + 9% (if they happen to be hosting the game that year) to come to 26.5%, or just one quarter of the tickets sold.

That does not cater to the fans at all.

But what happens if the Superbowl is in London? Where do the seats come from, the season ticket holders side, or the NFL's 25% stake? Well, I can guarantee that the NFL isn't going to pass up the chance to grease the hands of some corporate sponsors with a free trip to London to see the Superbowl.

Maybe the NFL should spend a little more time trying to keep the fans they have instead of getting greedy and accumulating fans worldwide. This is exactly the kind of thing that can disenfranchise even loyal fans.

:-t
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby biju » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:14 am

biju wrote:This pisses me off. The Superbowl audience is predominantly made up of corporate sponsorships that could really care less about the game itself. If you're going to make a move to get "foreigners" involved in the Superbowl, why not start with the folks that really want to go to the game: American fans. Right now 25% of the tickets to the game are held exclusively for NFL affiliates, the broadcasting network, corporate sponsors, etc. This doesn't include the number of corporate accounts that get tickets to the game through the "normal" means of applying for Superbowl tickets. Furthermore, the two teams in the Superbowl only get 35% of the tickets to split. The rest of the teams get 1% and the hosting city gets 9%. So the maximum allowed by one team is 17.5% + 9% (if they happen to be hosting the game that year) to come to 26.5%, or just one quarter of the tickets sold.

That does not cater to the fans at all.

But what happens if the Superbowl is in London? Where do the seats come from, the season ticket holders side, or the NFL's 25% stake? Well, I can guarantee that the NFL isn't going to pass up the chance to grease the hands of some corporate sponsors with a free trip to London to see the Superbowl.

Maybe the NFL should spend a little more time trying to keep the fans they have instead of getting greedy and accumulating fans worldwide. This is exactly the kind of thing that can disenfranchise even loyal fans.

:-t

You know, I was just thinking about this: when the hell is the NFL going to schedule a game in Seattle? Oh, that's right. Never. It's too far north for them to schedule it up here since we don't have a dome. That means we never get a 9% stake in the tickets.

I think if the NFL is going to host games in Arizona or Florida every friggin' year they had at least better rotate who the "hosting team" is to make it fair. Is anyone a class action lawyer that wants to take on my case?
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby eagle0588 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:44 am

it would be ludicrous to have it outside of the US being that it is the biggest sports event and its America's most popular sport. Plus American cities would have a fit since the Superbowl means booming economy for that city.
eagle0588
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Football Talk