Ted Ginn Jr.'s Value with Chambers out? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ted Ginn Jr.'s Value with Chambers out?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ted Ginn Jr.'s Value with Chambers out?

Postby jcde7ago » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:18 pm

Like the title asks...

What's Ginn's value now that Chambers is out of Miami? I took Ginn as a last-round pick in a few leagues because of his huge potential to be a receiving threat with his tremendous speed...and i guess Miami didn't want to over-use him outside of kick-returning duties because he was, after all, the #9 overall pick in last year's draft (which outraged many Miami fans).

Now that Chambers is gone..can we see Miami utilizing Ginn more in the receiver role? Or will they continue to limit his playing time to kick-returning duties? (a la Devin Hester). I know that Miami doesn't have a legit QB threat to begin with, but they could do a lot worse than get their superstar pick into a role where he can do some more damage, especially with Miami's pretty much non-existent receiving core.
Last edited by jcde7ago on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10-Team Yahoo! Keeper League: TheYayArea (in 3rd Year now) 11-0!

Starters:

QB: Tom Brady
WR: Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison
RB: LaDainian Tomlinson, Marshawn Lynch
W/R: Marion Barber III
TE: Chris Cooley
K: Shayne Graham
D: Pittsburgh
jcde7ago
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ted Ginn Jr.'s Value with Chambers out?

Postby Sgt. Apone » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:25 pm

ginn would become a WR3 in 12 team PPR leagues I assume, he will not start putting up stud WR numbers in Miami's system, he is a very nice option in return yard leagues however
sig. by Deluxe
Sgt. Apone
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SniperShot » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:29 pm

I want to say yes, I really do, but Cleo Lemon does not impress me. If your QB is shaky your numbers will be shaky. At best a WR3 right now.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby cooleyhigh » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:04 pm

I was not impressed with him as an NFL prospect in any system (Maybe slot guy in INDY or NE would work). Perhaps he will prove me wrong but I wont be making any claims on him.

Cam Cameron thought he was drafting the next Devin Hester without realizing there is no next Devin Hester.
Last edited by cooleyhigh on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stepsinsc » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:09 pm

He's raw, needs polish. Won't do much this year IMO. Future years? Who knows.
stepsinsc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby RazzLeDazzLe » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:19 pm

From Rotoworld:

Ted Ginn and Derek Hagan will get more consistent playing time following the trade of Chris Chambers.
Ginn would seem to benefit the most, but it's possible that Hagan and he will split starting duties opposite Marty Booker. Until we see consistent production, we wouldn't invest in either young Dolphin in fantasy leagues. They are both raw. If we had to take a Miami wideout, it would still be Marty Booker.

FoxSports.com reports Chris Chambers has been traded to the Chargers for a 2008 second-round pick.
Miami did well to get a high pick considering Chambers' 2008 salary. Chambers is a decent fantasy threat, but his hands and effort have never matched his reputation. We see his fantasy value going down slightly to a fantasy WR3 in San Diego. He knows the system (through Cam Cameron), but he's basically now a co-number two receiver with Vincent Jackson behind Antonio Gates. He'll see fewer targets. Ted Ginn figures to benefit the most in Miami.

So, I ask, what about Booker? Wouldnt he be the one to pick up here?
QB: Freeman
RB: Rashad Jennings, Ray Rice, Knowshon Moreno
WR: Calvin Johnson, Jeremy Maclin
TE: Vernon Davis
D: SD
Bench: Hillis, Knox, Tebow, Woodhead, Ball
RazzLeDazzLe Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby jcde7ago » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:42 pm

RazzLeDazzLe wrote:From Rotoworld:

Ted Ginn and Derek Hagan will get more consistent playing time following the trade of Chris Chambers.
Ginn would seem to benefit the most, but it's possible that Hagan and he will split starting duties opposite Marty Booker. Until we see consistent production, we wouldn't invest in either young Dolphin in fantasy leagues. They are both raw. If we had to take a Miami wideout, it would still be Marty Booker.

FoxSports.com reports Chris Chambers has been traded to the Chargers for a 2008 second-round pick.
Miami did well to get a high pick considering Chambers' 2008 salary. Chambers is a decent fantasy threat, but his hands and effort have never matched his reputation. We see his fantasy value going down slightly to a fantasy WR3 in San Diego. He knows the system (through Cam Cameron), but he's basically now a co-number two receiver with Vincent Jackson behind Antonio Gates. He'll see fewer targets. Ted Ginn figures to benefit the most in Miami.

So, I ask, what about Booker? Wouldnt he be the one to pick up here?

Yes, from a fantasy perspective Booker would absolutely be the one to pick there...he had decent number last season, and would probably have produced more if he wasn't in Chamber's shadow.

But the reason there is talk of Ginn is because, with some polish Ginn could end up to be a much better receiver than Booker. Booker doesn't have much speed and explosiveness, but he has decent hands and runs routes pretty decently. The thing is, Booker is not a #1 WR because he just doesn't have that kind of talent...and people would probably agree that at some point, Ginn is going to take over that lead receiving role...perhaps not this year, maybe not even next year, but eventually he will...he was way too much talent not to. If you need any more convincing, i implore you to look up "Ted Ginn highlight video" on youtube and watch the potential Ginn has to tear up opposing defenses. He ran over everyone in college that it was a joke, and his absence in Ohio state's championship game was pretty much single-handedly what led to that team's demise.

Starters:

jcde7ago
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby pasterofmuppets » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:15 pm

Would you say that Ginn is definitely worth a flier now in leagues that count return yards? I held off on picking up Hester because he wasn't really featured as a WR. But with Chambers leaving, he could possibly be a more viable target. Like you guys said, borderline WR3, but counting his return numbers, maybe high WR3 or low WR2 (despite the horrible QB situation in Miami). I've noticed he's had okay numbers despite only having one catch in my PPR, return league.
pasterofmuppets
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby jcde7ago » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:18 pm

pasterofmuppets wrote:Would you say that Ginn is definitely worth a flier now in leagues that count return yards? I held off on picking up Hester because he wasn't really featured as a WR. But with Chambers leaving, he could possibly be a more viable target. Like you guys said, borderline WR3, but counting his return numbers, maybe high WR3 or low WR2 (despite the horrible QB situation in Miami). I've noticed he's had okay numbers despite only having one catch in my PPR, return league.

Yes, i would definitely grab Ginn in return-yardage leagues. He gets a pretty decent return yard average...and with his speed, it's only a matter of time before he breaks through for a score this year...

Starters:

jcde7ago
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Sgt. Apone » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:27 pm

pasterofmuppets wrote:Would you say that Ginn is definitely worth a flier now in leagues that count return yards? I held off on picking up Hester because he wasn't really featured as a WR. But with Chambers leaving, he could possibly be a more viable target. Like you guys said, borderline WR3, but counting his return numbers, maybe high WR3 or low WR2 (despite the horrible QB situation in Miami). I've noticed he's had okay numbers despite only having one catch in my PPR, return league.

he's inside the top 25 scoring receivers in my return yard league, so yes
sig. by Deluxe
Sgt. Apone
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk