Favorite Cities - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Favorite Cities

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Favorite Cities

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:58 pm

Metroid wrote:
treat24 wrote:
Metroid wrote:There is one good thing in Stockton... O:-)

yeah, when your fiance is there :-D

HEY-O!!!!!!!! :-b

Good one. ;-D

Isn't she out of town? So Stockton still sucks.
Maybe she brightens the dismal little hell-hole when she's around, eh? :-b
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:12 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
Isn't she out of town? So Stockton still sucks.
Maybe she brightens the dismal little hell-hole when she's around, eh? :-b

Thats fo sho!!!
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:05 am

Atog wrote:
mikus wrote:
Atog wrote:-You play ultimate too? I didn't play much in high school but I threw a bunch and I'm starting to get into it in college playing for the club team and I'm loving it.

Yup. I played five years for LSU and club for seven years now. For whom do you play?

Kalamazoo College...Real small school in Western Michigan but we're very competitive for our size...As far as ultimate in Michigan goes we're probably #3 behind MSU and UM.

Regarding La Jolla...
I'm really surprised that there were murders at all there. From what I experienced of it, it seemed like a very safe, upscale city. And I can't think of a PC way to say it, so I'll say it...it seemed like it was full of rich people.

Regarding Anchorage...
I was there a few years ago are loved how it was a pretty big city but at the same time it was pretty isolated. I'm just not sure that I could spend a lot of time there.

cool cool. Ultimate player here too. I've heard of kalamazoo, but I'm not sure if we have played them while I've been playing. I play for tufts, btw. Can't wait to get back to playing since I'm abroad now.

as for the cities...
Boston, nyc, seattle, philly within the US
Buenos Aires was awesome, Santiago, Chile is beautiful for a city with the mountains in view.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Atog » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:10 am

skibrett15 wrote:cool cool. Ultimate player here too. I've heard of kalamazoo, but I'm not sure if we have played them while I've been playing. I play for tufts, btw. Can't wait to get back to playing since I'm abroad now.

as for the cities...
Boston, nyc, seattle, philly within the US
Buenos Aires was awesome, Santiago, Chile is beautiful for a city with the mountains in view.

We played a tournament in Whitewater, Wisc. a few weeks ago and we've played a few Wisc. teams like Marquette, UW-Milwaukee, and UW-Whitewater but I don't think we've played Tufts.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:04 pm

Favorite Cities:

Los Angeles, CA: It's been home to me for 85-90% of my life. For some reason, the thought of a "native Angeleno" is an oxymoron in a lot of people's eyes, but at any rate, it's my hometown. Like most metropolises, it can be a maddening place to live especially with the smog, traffic, and urban sprawl but you can find and do almost anything here.

Long Beach, CA: It's somewhat of an underrated oceanside town when compared to other Southern California beach cities given that Downtown can seem rather drab while inland, it's kind of too gritty. Now that the city has spruced up Rainbow Harbor, Long Beach is beautiful now without losing that nice gritty melting pot feel that inland Long Beach is more or less known for.

San Diego, CA: For the same reasons stated already.

Barcelona, Catalonia (Spain): My ancestral home and the pride of Catalonia (some of us like to think it's not part of Spain). Barcelona just has a unique feel all its own from other big European cities, in that it's bipolar, but in a good, vibrant way. As someone said, there's a good contrast between the modern and classic here, but there's more to it than what can be described that you need to see for yourself. Excellent location, great food (especially the seafood), and of course: FC BARCELONA. More than a club to us Barca fans.

London, England: I've been to London 8 times and it never gets old and each time, it feels different in a good way. It doesn't quite have the grandeur of Paris or the timeless romanticism of well, Rome, but London is really a charming place.

Paris, France: Not my favorite French city, but it's just one of those few cities you need to visit once. It can be overwhelming in some/most respects, but you'll find pockets here and there that are very laidback.

French Riviera: J'adore la Cote d'Azur. I can't single out one city and so, I'll say Nice, Cannes, Montecarlo (Monaco), and Saint-Tropez are all fantastic. On second thought, I love Villefranche-sur-Mer and Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat for the quaint tranquility and sheer beauty.

Marseille, France: My favorite French city. It reminds me of Long Beach in a way in that it has this eclectic feel. Kind of an underrated French Riviera stop in some ways I think, just because I think tourists in general like to hover around the Riviera's trademark towns.

Grenoble, France: I studied abroad here and this is my ex-girlfriend's stomping grounds. It has this college town feel that in some instances feels like Silicon Valley to me but with a beautiful backdrop of the Alps, being smack dab in an Alpine valley. Kind of a big city to think it has an Alpine village feel though. Great skiing here though.

Edinburgh, Scotland: I visited here once and it really surprised me. It's like London in the midst of some beautiful foothills.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada: Stayed a week because of a chess tournament I was in, but it allowed me a day or two of sightseeing. I liked the culture and geography of it all and it seemed like everywhere I had gone, there were smoking hot chicks everywhere. Must be the French blood.

Cities I'd like to revisit:

Amsterdam, Netherlands: I was only here for a day and had passed by a few sights, stopped by a "coffeeshop", and visited the Red Light District. Need to spend more time here.

Boston, MA: I was here for a few days to visit MIT while I was applying for college. Like what I see.

New York, NY: I tend to think people have a love-hate relationship, but I just like it and that's all. Probably need to stay a few weeks to really appreciate NYC, personally, like I have with the other European places I've been to.

Chicago, IL: Same comment for NY.

Washington, DC: Same comments for NY & Chicago.

Dublin, Ireland: Only hung around for a few days, but just like the laidback charm.

Glasgow, Scotland: I visited Celtic Park for a tour, but I absolutely want to see an Old Firm derby: Celtic vs. Rangers.

Cities I want to visit:

Manchester, England: Have to go to Old Trafford to watch Manchester United play.

Buenos Aires, Argentina: I've always heard Buenos Aires, just by walking around, felt like Paris or Prague or some other grand European city, but has the same vibe New York City and Las Vegas have where it's a 25/8 kind of town. As a soccer fan, I have to, just have to see El Superclasico: Boca Juniors vs. River Plate. I know the rivalry is just as tense as Real Madrid vs. Barcelona, but have seen on TV and heard that the atmosphere is nothing you'll ever see in any sporting event. (Also, I met a Racing Club fan who said Racing vs. Independiente is just as heated as El Superclasico, but lesser known. Extra motivation to go to Buenos Aires.)

Istanbul, Turkey: A co-worker had recently gone there and she says she had a blast. Again, as a soccer fan, I want to see Galatasaray play Fenerbahce. From what I see watching The Real Football Factories: International, it's like Manchester United vs. Manchester City on steroids.

Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, Shanghai, Goa: I've never been to Asia, but these 5 cities are at the top of my list.

Vancouver, BC, Canada: I know it has the reputation of being the "L.A. of Canada" and from what my friends say, it's bloody awesome. Need to take the Amtrak up to Vancouver some time.

Split, Croatia: A quiet seaside city that looks like a Riviera town, I like. Hajduk Split vs. Dinamo Zagreb. What a maddening atmosphere that has to be.

Milan, Italy: I think Italy is kind of overrated, but I'd love to go to Milan just to skip it for the Lake Como District. Beautiful. Oh, and to see Milan vs. Inter.

Dubai, UAE: I love how posh and ultramodern things look in Dubai.

If anyone has been to any of the destinations I dream of going to, let me know. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mutantseabass » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:45 pm

Funny thing is all of my favorites cities are all Canadian.

Vancouver- Was one of the most beautiful places I have been to. A ton to do. I would definately recommend.

Toronto- I have had more fun times in Toronto then anywhere else. I used to go there a few times a year. Havent been in a few years but of all the places I have been I would want to live in Toronto and I hate cold weather.

Ann Arbor, Michigan.- Went to college there and now only live 5 minutes from there. Just a town that reminds me of my youth.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pats4four » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:13 pm

Toronto - Laid back people and attitude, not as tense as some US cities

Boston - Like the NE area in general really, charm of the city is what stands out for me.

London - I'm excited everytime I go.

Hong Kong - Modern/old mixed into one. I was born there and it's nice to go back once in a while.

Venice - Beautiful place, great food good weather. Love it.

San Fran - 1st experience io the US. Laid back city as well but different when compared to Boston. Great places to visit and a great little Italian restaurant that only had an oven and sat 20 people but the pizzas were great!
Pats4four
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Atog » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:21 pm

This thread makes me want to start a general Ultimate thread but I'm not sure that I could make an adequately-awesome thread for it.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Metroid » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:24 pm

Atog wrote:This thread makes me want to start a general Ultimate thread but I'm not sure that I could make an adequately-awesome thread for it.

What is this 'Ultimate' you people keep babbling about? :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Atog » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:07 pm

Metroid wrote:
Atog wrote:This thread makes me want to start a general Ultimate thread but I'm not sure that I could make an adequately-awesome thread for it.

What is this 'Ultimate' you people keep babbling about? :-?

Ultimate (sometimes called ultimate Frisbee in reference to the trademarked brand name) is a non-contact competitive team game played with a 175 gram flying disc. The object of the game is to score points by passing the disc to a player in the opposing end-zone, similar to an end-zone in American football or Rugby. Players may not run while holding the disc. Ultimate is distinguished by its Spirit of the Game—the principles of fair play, sportsmanship, and the joy of play.

While originally called "Ultimate Frisbee", "Frisbee" is the trademark for the line of discs made by the Wham-O toy company. In fact, discs made by Wham-O competitor Discraft are now the most commonly used in the game. Today, the game is simply known as "ultimate".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_%28sport%29
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk