earth part deux? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

earth part deux?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: earth part deux?

Postby treat24 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:22 am

josebach wrote:
treat24 wrote:
josebach wrote:The only way to ensure the survival of the human race is by leaving Earth. The question is will we live long enough to develop the technology required to accomplish such a feat?

Or will we develop a technology that allows us to survive longer on Earth?

Earth won't be here forever. It also won't remain inhabitable forever.

hence the word "longer" and not the word "infinitely" in my post ;-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Metroid » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:21 am

My bags are packed I'm ready to go...I'm standing here outside your door...
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby moonhead » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:46 pm

Madison wrote:
a find they believe dramatically boosts the prospects that we are not alone.

:-?

There are people out there that believe we may be the only living beings in the entire universe? 8-o :-o 8-o :-o

With as vast and complex as the universe is, I'd have to think there's some intelligent life out there somewhere... :-?

well, it's certainly not here! :-B
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby josebach » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:08 pm

treat24 wrote:
josebach wrote:
treat24 wrote:Or will we develop a technology that allows us to survive longer on Earth?

Earth won't be here forever. It also won't remain inhabitable forever.

hence the word "longer" and not the word "infinitely" in my post ;-D

:-? ???

So you're asking if we would develop the technology that allows us to survive longer on Earth so that we can develop the technology to leave Earth?
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby treat24 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:42 pm

josebach wrote::-? ???

So you're asking if we would develop the technology that allows us to survive longer on Earth so that we can develop the technology to leave Earth?

I guess I'm just saying nobody, including little old me or you, knows the future. Maybe something will take us out that has nothing to do with how habitable the Earth is, or maybe we will develop a technology that will keep the Earth going forever and we'll figure out a way to propel it around through space without needing the Sun anymore, wouldn't that be crazy. There is no way of knowing. I just don't like infinites (never, forever, always ... etc)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby josebach » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:02 pm

treat24 wrote:

I guess I'm just saying nobody, including little old me or you, knows the future. Maybe something will take us out that has nothing to do with how habitable the Earth is, or maybe we will develop a technology that will keep the Earth going forever and we'll figure out a way to propel it around through space without needing the Sun anymore, wouldn't that be crazy. There is no way of knowing. I just don't like infinites (never, forever, always ... etc)

That's interesting. I never thought about the Earth being a spaceship. I guess my main point was that we're going to have to split up and colonize other planets because right now all of our eggs are in the Earth basket and if that basket breaks we're done, cooked, dead, destroyed, done for, finished, floored, sunk, totaled, washed up, wiped out, kaput, toast, fried, baked, cashed, wasted, doomed, extinct, rubbed out, spent, obsolete and least of all f%*#ed. :-°
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:36 pm

josebach wrote:
treat24 wrote:

That's interesting. I never thought about the Earth being a spaceship. I guess my main point was that we're going to have to split up and colonize other planets because right now all of our eggs are in the Earth basket and if that basket breaks we're done, cooked, dead, destroyed, done for, finished, floored, sunk, totaled, washed up, wiped out, kaput, toast, fried, baked, cashed, wasted, doomed, extinct, rubbed out, spent, obsolete and least of all f%*#ed. :-°

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that in a few billion years the sun will blow up and engulf the entire solar system, so our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great (x10,000,000) grandkids will be responsible for getting us off of Earth.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Patchell » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:46 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that in a few billion years the sun will blow up and engulf the entire solar system, so our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great (x10,000,000) grandkids will be responsible for getting us off of Earth.

Technically that's not correct. The sun will swell up to be a red giant and swallow everything halfway to Mars, not the entire solar system. Plus the sun isn't large enough to explode or go supernova... it will then merely shrink to a white dwarf. (Although recently there have been some new studies that suggest a possibility that the sun's expansion won't include earth... however we'll still get baked by the gigantic red sun.

What worries me, is not that we can't get off this planet, but rather us somehow finding a way to destroy ourselves... most likely some psychopathic or fundamentalist with a full nuclear armament. I am reminded of the Cosmos episode entitled Who Speaks For Earth, where Carl Sagan outlines the probability of earths survival etc.
Patchell
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eastcoaster » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:44 pm

Madison wrote:With as vast and complex as the universe is, I'd have to think there's some intelligent life out there somewhere... :-?

Absolutely. No way we're the only ones.

Hopefully if they find us first, they'll think we're intelligent. Sometimes I'm not so sure :-?
eastcoaster
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SJNez46 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:42 pm

Patchell wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that in a few billion years the sun will blow up and engulf the entire solar system, so our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great (x10,000,000) grandkids will be responsible for getting us off of Earth.

Technically that's not correct. The sun will swell up to be a red giant and swallow everything halfway to Mars, not the entire solar system. Plus the sun isn't large enough to explode or go supernova... it will then merely shrink to a white dwarf. (Although recently there have been some new studies that suggest a possibility that the sun's expansion won't include earth... however we'll still get baked by the gigantic red sun.

What worries me, is not that we can't get off this planet, but rather us somehow finding a way to destroy ourselves... most likely some psychopathic or fundamentalist with a full nuclear armament. I am reminded of the Cosmos episode entitled Who Speaks For Earth, where Carl Sagan outlines the probability of earths survival etc.

either way we are dead if we dont do something.
^soty
SJNez46
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk