earth part deux? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

earth part deux?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: earth part deux?

Postby moonhead » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:45 pm

SJNez46 wrote:
Patchell wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that in a few billion years the sun will blow up and engulf the entire solar system, so our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great (x10,000,000) grandkids will be responsible for getting us off of Earth.

Technically that's not correct. The sun will swell up to be a red giant and swallow everything halfway to Mars, not the entire solar system. Plus the sun isn't large enough to explode or go supernova... it will then merely shrink to a white dwarf. (Although recently there have been some new studies that suggest a possibility that the sun's expansion won't include earth... however we'll still get baked by the gigantic red sun.

What worries me, is not that we can't get off this planet, but rather us somehow finding a way to destroy ourselves... most likely some psychopathic or fundamentalist with a full nuclear armament. I am reminded of the Cosmos episode entitled Who Speaks For Earth, where Carl Sagan outlines the probability of earths survival etc.

either way we are dead if we dont do something.

in a few billion years our galaxy will collide with our neighbor. so, anywhere we go won't be real stable.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Guru13 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:23 pm

and the chances that this happens to in our lifetime are a wee bit stacked against us (and I'm fine with that, I don't wanna experience the end of the earth frankly), so I try not to worry about it. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Tiki » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:52 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:and the chances that this happens to in our lifetime are a wee bit stacked against us (and I'm fine with that, I don't wanna experience the end of the earth frankly), so I try not to worry about it. :-b
BUT GLOBAL WARMING IS HAPPENING NOW!!!

;-7
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wake » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:18 pm

I remember watching a special on either the History or Discovery Channel awhile back on the seven most likely ways mankind will end. I'm not sure on the order of their probabilites but it went something like-

6) Robots take over
5) A black hole
4) Disease(natural or man-made)
3) Asteroid
2) Nuclear War
1) Climate change (not necessarily caused by man, could just be another Ice Age)

I forget what the 7th one was but it was an interesting special.
wake
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:51 pm

wake wrote:I remember watching a special on either the History or Discovery Channel awhile back on the seven most likely ways mankind will end. I'm not sure on the order of their probabilites but it went something like-

6) Robots take over
5) A black hole
3) Asteroid
2) Nuclear War
1) Climate change (not necessarily caused by man, could just be another Ice Age)

I bet 7 was zombies...zombies are bad ass. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:28 am

Metroid wrote:
wake wrote:I remember watching a special on either the History or Discovery Channel awhile back on the seven most likely ways mankind will end. I'm not sure on the order of their probabilites but it went something like-

6) Robots take over
5) A black hole
3) Asteroid
2) Nuclear War

No, that was 9. 8 was chuck norris getting angry, and 7 was communism.

To the original post... humanity will probably never reach this earthlike planet. Even if we somehow achieve 1/100th of light speed, which is orders of magnitude faster than the fastest thing made by humanity, it would still take a long long time to get there. And the chances of any person getting there are null since they would be dead. I suppose we would need a ship that could support itself completely including population wise for hundreds of years. Who would sign themselves and all their descendants up for that?

And no way humanity sees the end of the earth. We'll have been killed by something by then. Probably ourselves.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby josebach » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:17 am

Metroid wrote:

6) Robots take over
5) A black hole
3) Asteroid
2) Nuclear War

Running zombies or slow walking zombies? I personally don't think the slow walking zombies are that bad ass.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:28 am

Madison wrote:
a find they believe dramatically boosts the prospects that we are not alone.

:-?

There are people out there that believe we may be the only living beings in the entire universe? 8-o :-o 8-o :-o

With as vast and complex as the universe is, I'd have to think there's some intelligent life out there somewhere... :-?

Indeed. And apparently the star that this earth-like planet orbits around is one of the closest to our sun.

So there are billions of stars per galaxy, and billions of galaxies in the universe, which means the number of stars out there is some number beyond what we can comprehend, each supporting multiple planets, and one of the closest few out of that billion to the billionth power number has an earth-like planet rotating around it.

I would imagine that not only is there life somewhere out there, but in many, many places out there (perhaps millions).
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby eastcoaster » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:49 am

Free Bagel wrote:Indeed. And apparently the star that this earth-like planet orbits around is one of the closest to our sun.

So there are billions of stars per galaxy, and billions of galaxies in the universe, which means the number of stars out there is some number beyond what we can comprehend, each supporting multiple planets, and one of the closest few out of that billion to the billionth power number has an earth-like planet rotating around it.

I would imagine that not only is there life somewhere out there, but in many, many places out there (perhaps millions).

Very interesting perspective :-?

I'll be thinking about that all day ;-D
eastcoaster
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:18 am

josebach wrote:
Metroid wrote:

6) Robots take over
5) A black hole
3) Asteroid
2) Nuclear War

Running zombies or slow walking zombies? I personally don't think the slow walking zombies are that bad ass.

Oh running zombies for sure like 28 days. But I think the slow ones would take down mankind as well, it would just take a lot longer. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk