earth part deux? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

earth part deux?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: earth part deux?

Postby knapplc » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:22 am

jayday wrote:
knapplc wrote:If we took all the stars like our sun in the Universe, and only one percent of those had planets, and of those only one percent had planets like Earth, and only one percent of those had the necessary building blocks for life, and only one percent of those actually HAD life, and only one percent of those had life that was as technologically advanced as us, there would still be something like 100 million civilizations like ours in the Universe.

Wow, I think that is the craziest (mind-blowing crazy, not crackpot crazy) thing I've ever heard. I read that twice and I'm still having trouble wrapping my empty head around that number. Great stuff. ;-D

Yeah. It's a great quote. It basically says that no matter how pessimistically you look at the numbers, mathematically there are LOTS of “others” out there. Lots and lots.

The only problem is that space is so big that we could very possibly never find them, or at least not for a long, long time.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:41 am

knapplc wrote:The only problem is that space is so big that we could very possibly never find them, or at least not for a long, long time.

Maybe they already found us and ran away screaming.

:-b

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:04 am

Madison wrote:
knapplc wrote:The only problem is that space is so big that we could very possibly never find them, or at least not for a long, long time.

well another thing to consider is the timing of the whole situation. it is entirely plausible that none of these civilizations would exist at the same time. the universe being nearly 14 billion years old, and the estimated life cycle of an advanced civilization is several thousand years. there is a high likely hood that advanced civilizations will destroy themselves through civil war even before space travel is reached. but i still hope to meet e.t. someday. but not like in the movie contact. i'd punch that alien in the face.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Tiki » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:50 pm

moonhead wrote:
Madison wrote:

well another thing to consider is the timing of the whole situation. it is entirely plausible that none of these civilizations would exist at the same time. the universe being nearly 14 billion years old, and the estimated life cycle of an advanced civilization is several thousand years. there is a high likely hood that advanced civilizations will destroy themselves through civil war even before space travel is reached. but i still hope to meet e.t. someday. but not like in the movie contact. i'd punch that alien in the face.

You don't mean that.

8-o
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:20 pm

moonhead wrote:
Madison wrote:

Good point Moon. ;-D

Even though I still contend that if an alien species found us already, we either scared them, or we were not evolved enough for them to waste their time with us. :-b :-b

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk