Need A Morale Boost at Work? Hire Someone with Tourettes - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Need A Morale Boost at Work? Hire Someone with Tourettes

Moderator: Football Moderators

Need A Morale Boost at Work? Hire Someone with Tourettes

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:18 am

LONDON (AFP) - Regular swearing at work can help boost team spirit among staff, allowing them to express better their feelings as well as develop social relationships, according to a study by researchers.

Yehuda Baruch, a professor of management at the University of East Anglia, and graduate Stuart Jenkins studied the use of profanity in the workplace and assessed its implications for managers.

They assessed that swearing would become more common as traditional taboos are broken down, but the key appeared to be knowing when such language was appropriate and when to turn to blind eye.

The pair said swearing in front of senior staff or customers should be seriously discouraged or banned, but in other circumstances it helped foster solidarity among employees and express frustration, stress or other feelings.

"Employees use swearing on a continuous basis, but not necessarily in a negative, abusive manner," said Baruch, who works in the university's business school in Norwich.

Banning swear words and reprimanding staff might represent strong leadership, but could remove key links between staff and impact on morale and motivation, he said.

"We hope that this study will serve not only to acknowledge the part that swearing plays in our work and our lives, but also to indicate that leaders sometimes need to 'think differently' and be open to intriguing ideas.

"Managers need to understand how their staff feel about swearing. The challenge is to master the 'art' of knowing when to turn a blind eye to communication that does not meet their own standards."

The study, "Swearing at work and permissive leadership culture: when anti-social becomes social and incivility is acceptable", is published in the latest issue of the Leadership and Organisational Development Journal.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Need A Morale Boost at Work? Hire Someone with Tourettes

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:42 am

Regular swearing at work can help boost team spirit among staff, allowing them to express better their feelings

How sad. I wouldn't want to work for the companies they studied if the employees have to cuss in order to "express better their feelings". That's just sad if someone's vocabulary lacks so severely that they have to cuss to make their point.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby treat24 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:27 am

Madison wrote:
Regular swearing at work can help boost team spirit among staff, allowing them to express better their feelings

How sad. I wouldn't want to work for the companies they studied if the employees have to cuss in order to "express better their feelings". That's just sad if someone's vocabulary lacks so severely that they have to cuss to make their point.

I think what they are say is that for many people swearing is cathartic. Most people can express themselves without cussing. It just doesn't give the same release.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby josebach » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:49 am

treat24 wrote:
Madison wrote:

I think what they are say is that for many people swearing is cathartic. Most people can express themselves without cussing. It just doesn't give the same release.

True. Saying "darn it" or "shoot" just doesn't have the same effect as dropping an F-Bomb. On the other hand, using profanity is extremely unprofessional and has no business in the work place. (Assuming it's a white collar job which is what was described in the article)
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:23 am

Madison wrote:

What the #%*@ are you talking about? :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:31 am

josebach wrote:
treat24 wrote:I think what they are say is that for many people swearing is cathartic. Most people can express themselves without cussing. It just doesn't give the same release.

True. Saying "darn it" or "shoot" just doesn't have the same effect as dropping an F-Bomb. On the other hand, using profanity is extremely unprofessional and has no business in the work place. (Assuming it's a white collar job which is what was described in the article)

Cussing is no different than physical violence. Ever want to punch someone in the face for being stupid? Who hasn't, right? Just how therapeutic would it be to punch your boss? Well we don't go around punching people no matter how much they might deserve it, we find other outlets. No difference here. "Having" to cuss is just dumb.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:31 am

Metroid wrote:
Madison wrote:

What the #%*@ are you talking about? :-b

I was wondering who it was going to be. :-b ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

Postby Metroid » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:37 am

Madison wrote:I was wondering who it was going to be. :-b ;-D

Well #*@% I just couldn't help myself. :-b ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Tiki » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:09 pm

Interesting....But, I think it makes sense! I work with a guy who curses like a sailor, but not at people and I think he is hilarious! Good stuff! ;-D
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 5 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:18 pm

some people are very uptight about cursing. sometimes it just fits better.

btw, anyone see the recent South Park episode about Tourettes?
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to General Talk