defensive stats... effectiveness? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

defensive stats... effectiveness?

Moderator: Football Moderators

defensive stats... effectiveness?

Postby matmat » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:24 pm

i came close to screaming at my television last monday night. i had the giants D, figured they'd be a good play -- and indeed, they were decent, scored OK, but kept forcing 3 and out after 3 and out... in reality, that's a very good defensive performance -- fantasy wise it gives nothing! (well, almost nothing, i guess the other team doesn't score to knock down the FP for the defence).

anyhow... anyone play in a league that counts 3 and outs (equivalently punts+turn-overs on downs)? or any other "different" defensive effectiveness stat?
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: defensive stats... effectiveness?

Postby dream_017 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:46 pm

matmat wrote:i came close to screaming at my television last monday night. i had the giants D, figured they'd be a good play -- and indeed, they were decent, scored OK, but kept forcing 3 and out after 3 and out... in reality, that's a very good defensive performance -- fantasy wise it gives nothing! (well, almost nothing, i guess the other team doesn't score to knock down the FP for the defence).

anyhow... anyone play in a league that counts 3 and outs (equivalently punts+turn-overs on downs)? or any other "different" defensive effectiveness stat?

Not that I have seen, but you are right a 3 and out isn't that effective in fantasy scoring...thats why you go to IDP ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thriftyrocker » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:37 pm

Total yards would be a similar idea, and easier to track.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:48 pm

Defenses are hard in general. I don't like total yards, for the same reason I don't like the NFL rankings based on that, as teams are content to let up yards if need be when ahead, just not points.

3 and outs would be cool, like .5 points for each three and out forced. Although, the other problem with that is, did you really do that well if you let two first downs, then a three and out?
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby matmat » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:01 pm

eaglesrule wrote:Defenses are hard in general. I don't like total yards, for the same reason I don't like the NFL rankings based on that, as teams are content to let up yards if need be when ahead, just not points.

3 and outs would be cool, like .5 points for each three and out forced. Although, the other problem with that is, did you really do that well if you let two first downs, then a three and out?

that's why maybe punts forced + 4th down stops would be good
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk