Playoff Magic Number - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Playoff Magic Number

Moderator: Football Moderators

Playoff Magic Number

Postby beavis69 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:18 pm

I want to know if there is a way I can figure out at what point a team could be mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs. I want to lock those teams prior to the playoffs to maintain the league integrity.
Is there a "known" formula on how to figure out at what point a team has no chance in making it to the playoffs? It's a 12 team league with top 8 going into playoffs and 4 are eliminated.
beavis69
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 102)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Playoff Magic Number

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:18 pm

What do you mean you want to lock those teams? Do you mean at the point they are mathematically eliminated?

I think I understand where you are going, but be careful toying with "league integrity." You may ruin it in an attempt to protect it.

If you tell a team they are eliminated, you might tell them something they were not aware of and therefore it might not have been a problem.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby beavis69 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:52 pm

What I want to do is not allowing them from adding or dropping players if they are eliminated. They will still be allowed to play until the end of the season.
beavis69
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dgan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:18 pm

beavis69 wrote:What I want to do is not allowing them from adding or dropping players if they are eliminated. They will still be allowed to play until the end of the season.

Bad idea. I assume this a heads-up league. If that is the case, then playoff teams are going to be playing these non-playoff teams. So perhaps a team that was scoring big at the beginning of the season and handed out some losses now suffers injuries to Bulger and others...are you going to restrict him from making moves that would make his team competitive? That is hardly fair. You are making a team weaker than it otherwise would be.

Example: You are going to the playoffs but you can get a first round bye IF you win this week and IF Team X also loses. You're playing another playoff bound team who has been playing strong. You had lost in Week 1 to Team Y.

Team Y has since suffered some injuries and doesn't even have a 2nd RB to start. He is playing Team X (who you need to lose). Unfortunately, even though they were really tough when you played them, Team Y can't even field an entire team now because they've been locked from making any moves.

As you can see, league integrity means that all teams (including those mathematically eliminated) play their best, including making moves to make their team better. What if Favre goes out and Rodgers came in and threw for 300+ yards and looked phenomenal? Teams 1-8 on the waiver wire can't even acquire him, making him available to a playoff team who otherwise wouldn't have had the opportunity.

If you're afraid of roster dumping, which it sounds like you are, just notify the league that it will not be tolerated. At your sole discretion, if roster dumping or collusion is suspected, you will reverse those moves and THEN lock the team. Most people are as interested in league integrity as you are, especially if they know that any funny business will not work anyway.

Good luck! ;-D
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby beavis69 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:36 pm

Very well thought response! What you say makes a lot of sense!
Thanks a lot!
beavis69
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Commissioner's Corner