PBC Week 7: Indy @ Jax - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

PBC Week 7: Indy @ Jax

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: PBC Week 7: Indy @ Jax

Postby Jack » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:34 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Not only is he a great QB but a great humanitarian and philanthropist. Note the Peyback Foundation. And I believe the local children's hospital was just renamed in his honor for donations. And his wife Ashley also is active in community and women's health advocacy activities.

Frankly, I could give less than a crap. Jim Harbaugh could have done all that stuff--he might not have gotten as much recognition for it, but he could've done it--and he wouldn't be as big of a figure in Indianapolis (or any other city) because he was missing the first trait you listed...i.e., the only one that matters: being a great quarterback. As much as my skin would crawl if the Jaguars signed him, I'm not prepared to deny that Peyton Manning understands and executes the quarterback's job in historically-great fashion. He'd be the unquestioned man of this era if Tom Brady wasn't playing historically-excellent football as well.

Here's an inversion of the typical bull-crap gushing for you: long after the women Mrs. Manning has been charitable to are dead, long after the local children's hospital has spent all the money Manning has given them, he'll be remembered for how he played the game.
Thanks to madaslives911 for this graphic from his site...
MOVE THOSE CHAINS, MOVE THOSE CHAINS, MOVE!
Jack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:46 pm

Jack wrote:I still characterize them as pass-first, meaning they pass (or are threats to pass) to set up the run. Again, probably more of a "traits I couldn't appreciate even if my own favorite team had them" thing.

Yes, God forbid your favorite team realize that something called the 'forward pass' was invented.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:54 pm

Jack wrote:1. They have small-ish defensive players. Uninspiring.
HATE.

So, size matters to you. I hardly think that's appropriate for a football forum.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:59 pm

Jack wrote:Here's an inversion of the typical bull-crap gushing for you: long after the women Mrs. Manning has been charitable to are dead, long after the local children's hospital has spent all the money Manning has given them, he'll be remembered for how he played the game.

*edited to hopefully not get myself kicked from the forums.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby America'sGame » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:00 am

Jack wrote:
PMoneyTKE wrote:What's there to hate about the Colts? Besides winning with class?

1. They have small-ish defensive players. Uninspiring.

2. The way they play football. It's for the "passing-game sissies"--a term coined by Jaguars.com's Vic Ketchman. It's not ineffective, but (a) I didn't much like it when the Jaguars came close to it back at the turn of the century, and (b) it doesn't fly come playoff-time unless it's bailed-out by an effective defense. Which leads me to...

3. The popular renown ("vindication", even...bah!) their offense gets--when their defense was the unit that stepped up to prevent another one-and-done postseason. Maybe I shouldn't be so tough on Manning, Harrison, and the offense...I mean, it's hard to pass, catch, and run with both hands around your own neck like that. But every time I hear Manning referred to as a "Super Bowl-winning" quarterback in any sense other than a technical one, I shake my head.

That, and you guys play in our division. HATE.

that's funny. All I see there is jealousy.
America'sGame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Jack » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:48 am

I'm not from Jacksonville. I don't have much reason to be jealous of another team; if I liked another team more than the Jaguars, I'd pull for that team instead. I like how the Jaguars have transitioned to a run-first approach in this century. I like that their defensive players are and have been physically-intimidating, from Tony Brackens and Bryce Paup to Donovin Darius and John Henderson. The question was, "What is there to hate about the Colts?" I answered at an angle, talking about the reasons I couldn't support them. All things considered, I probably don't hate them, but PBC threads are about gamesmanship and I figured I'd make some conversation. I didn't count on getting ad-hominem insults in return. Why are you guys (scottaa1 and America'sGame) steering this toward a crap-throwing fight?
Jack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:58 am

Jack wrote: Why are you guys (scottaa1 and America'sGame) steering this toward a crap-throwing fight?

Oh no... this was a simple PBC thread until you came in and started mouthing off... don't go trying to act like you're the victim here when you instigated.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby GoFaulkYourself » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:30 am

This should be a fun game to watch. Especially being right in the middle of my long weekend :D

Cut that meat! cut that meat!
Boston sports fan
My First Sig XD
GoFaulkYourself
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Jack » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:23 am

scottaa1 wrote:Oh no... this was a simple PBC thread until you came in and started mouthing off... don't go trying to act like you're the victim here when you instigated.

True. "Frankly, I could give less than a crap" wasn't a polite way to address you. I meant it to run parallel to the sentence you started with "Frankly," but mine was just rude--and the conclusion, referring to "typical bull-crap gushing", a term which I had meant to be a description of the media's emphasis (not a description of your post), was definitely too-abrasive. I'm sorry.
Jack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:22 pm

^^ Thanks, and I'm sorry for getting p1$$ed at you and making comments I shouldn't have.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting