Are You Short? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Are You Short?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Are You Short?

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:34 am

Those not blessed with height are often accused of having a chip on their shoulder.

Now a study has found that they might, in fact, have an unhealthy attitude to life.

Short men and women apparently complain of poorer mental and physical health than those of an average height.

Researchers examined more than 14,000 responses to the 2003 Health Survey for England.

The subjects had given details of their height, weight, age, gender, long-standing illness and social class.

They were then asked to rate their health on a range of indicators such as mobility, pain and depression.

Those in the shortest height category - men shorter than 5ft 4in and women shorter than 5ft - reported much poorer health, according to the report in the journal Clinical Endocrinology.

The survey did not ascertain how healthy they actually were, just how well they thought they were.

Lead researcher Dr Torsten Christensen said: "Using this large and nationally representative sample of the UK population, we found shorter people report that they experience lower physical and mental well-being than taller people do.

"Our results also indicate that the shorter someone is, the stronger this relationship becomes."

She added that an increase in height of one inch would have a positive impact on the healthrelated quality of life of a short person, whereas the effect of an extra inch would be negligible for a person of normal height.

Dr Christensen found that short people would have a 6 per cent higher health rating if they were around three inches taller.

This is the equivalent to the health benefit experienced by an obese person losing two and a half stones.

Dr Christensen, of Danish healthcare company Novo Nordisk, added: "We know that people who are short experience more difficulties in areas of their life such as education, employment and relationships than people of a normal height.

"Although our study does not show that short height directly causes a reduction in physical and mental health, it does indicate that short people are more likely to feel that they experience a lower healthrelated quality of life."

She added: "Further research is now needed to clarify the precise relationship between changes in height and health-related quality of life."

Short height in adult life can either be due to normal development or can be caused by a number of diseases such as growth hormone deficiency and Turner syndrome.

Treatment with growth hormone for children with these conditions can increase their final height by as much as four inches.

The study shows that these height increases could have a huge positive effect on a person's mental wellbeing once they grow up.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Are You Short?

Postby moonhead » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:07 am

i'm not short, but i sure am pissed off!
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby josebach » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:20 am

moonhead wrote:i'm not short, but i sure am pissed off!

That's better than being pissed on.

I'm 6'2'', so I'm short... for a Giraffe.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:57 am

This is the equivalent to the health benefit experienced by an obese person losing two and a half stones.

That would be 35 pounds.

Glad I'm not under 5 foot 4. :-b My mother is under 5 foot though, and has (and had) all kinds of health issues. :-P

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:21 am

Madison wrote:

That would be 35 pounds.

Glad I'm not under 5 foot 4. :-b My mother is under 5 foot though, and has (and had) all kinds of health issues. :-P

I am 5 foot 7 my dad is 5 foot 5 and my mom is 5 foot 5. intersting thing is my brother is 6 foot 2 and no one in our family is tall 8-o :-?
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:57 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
Madison wrote:

That would be 35 pounds.

I am 5 foot 7 my dad is 5 foot 5 and my mom is 5 foot 5. intersting thing is my brother is 6 foot 2 and no one in our family is tall 8-o :-?

The milkman isn't tall, is he? :-? :-b
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:14 am

I'm 6'2" also and I like it, it helps with getting the ladies...kinda make up for having a small penis. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:25 am

Metroid wrote:I'm 6'2" also and I like it, it helps with getting the ladies...kinda make up for having a small penis. :-b

And then you are thrown to the curb before the night is over. :-b

Nah, you could hold her down. :-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:33 am

Makes some sense I suppose, though it's pretty vague. I think it would have to do more with if you were smaller growing up as a kid.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby 1crzydmnd » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:05 pm

I'm not short....but my wife is. She is always saying....I'm 4 foot 11 AND A HALF! Like that half inch makes a difference. It's gonna be funny when my son is taller than her by the time he is 7 or 8 years old.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Confucius' redneck brother
1crzydmnd
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 19)

Next

Return to General Talk