Why Not Roto Football? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why Not Roto Football?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why Not Roto Football?

Postby abrunn11 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:04 am

I play Roto baseball, roto basketball and roto hockey; why do people not play roto football? You could have catagories consisting of passing TD's, passing YD's, INT's, rushing YDS, rushing TDs, etc. I have yet to see a sight offer roto football. I think it would be awesome.
abrunn11
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why Not Roto Football?

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:35 am

Roto sucks for every fantaysport IMO. H2H all the way baby!!!!!!!!!!!!
J.C.Fighter
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:44 am

J.C.Fighter wrote:Roto sucks for every fantaysport IMO. H2H all the way baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well not really, baseball is better served with roto, as its a marathon and I don't think there is much statistical deviation.

I think football would suck because you would have to find a way to make TDs like two categories, otherwise, the cats would be weird. How could field goals be the same as TDs, but in roto, that would happen.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:18 pm

There are only 2 stats that matter in FF - TDs and yards earned. 2 x 2 roto is not fun. Making up other stats is artificial.

Once you accept that fantasy football is a random luckfest it's easy to go whole hog and make it H2H. To go halfway and play roto fantasy football would only be fooling yourself. :-]

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:12 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:There are only 2 stats that matter in FF - TDs and yards earned. 2 x 2 roto is not fun. Making up other stats is artificial.

Once you accept that fantasy football is a random luckfest it's easy to go whole hog and make it H2H. To go halfway and play roto fantasy football would only be fooling yourself. :-]

Your lies are not welcome here sith lord. Get back to the dark side.

Yes, roto fantasy football would suck. Just play a total points league. Takes some of the luck out of it.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby matmat » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:32 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:Roto sucks for every fantaysport IMO. H2H all the way baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

uh...
you know, one could have Roto H2H, right?

there are plenty of possible categories one could use, but there's this "total score" obsession... maybe football fans can't really grasp more than one category or something...
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:40 pm

One game a week per team = one game per week for fantasy teams. It just makes more sense in football than in other sports.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:19 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:One game a week per team = one game per week for fantasy teams. It just makes more sense in football than in other sports.

once again, roto is just a different type of scoring, not necesserily a different form of league...

you could have one opponent per week and be compared based on some set of categories

rush td, pass td, rec td, fumbles, ints, sacks allowed, sacks for, etc. etc... whoever wins the most categories wins the week...
How is my typing? Call 1-555-382-5968
Many posters could benefit from this.
matmat
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby AllDay » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:11 am

For me the question is more 'Why not H2H baseball (or basketball)?' rather than 'Why not roto football?'

H2H matchups in baseball and basketball usually have a system that can be abused by 'roster churning', etc. This is the reason I don't like H2H in baseball (basketball I'm not so fussy about the format - but roster churning occurs there as well). In roto everyone plays by the same rules and it is difficult to abuse them.

In football that is not the case in H2H matchups. You cannot 'QB churn' or start 5 RB's to win the yardage and TD categories. Everyone starts 1 player per position and you really can't 'defeat' the system in place except for building a strong team, hoping for good health and production.

Really I think the answer lies there, and in the thrill of facing an actual opponent every week. In baseball and basketball that weekly H2H matchup just doesn't present the same anticipation or reward for the weekly 'W' as football for me.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Pete123444 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:41 pm

I'm in a great roto fantasy football league. It's H2H and based on certain criteria. Average scores are like 35-25. Basically it's position against position. In other words, my 2 RB's go against his 2 RB's. Some of the stats used are: Yards,Yards per carry, Carries, among a few others. Any TD's are counted as bonus points. So if my 2 RB's get more yards than his 2, I get 1 point. With TD's scored as bonuses, any TD will get you a point. This league has IDP's too. There is no points for any receiving yards for RB's or rushing yards for WR's or QB's. Unless you play someone like a Westbrook at receiver. I really like it (the way this one is set up) and would be in more of em if it were more popular.

Thanks GP!!
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk