Building Next Year's League... question for the veterans - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Building Next Year's League... question for the veterans

Moderator: Football Moderators

Building Next Year's League... question for the veterans

Postby FatFoot » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:59 pm

Anyone play in a contract league, as opposed to a dynasty/keeper?

Some buddies who work on sports stats for a living have been developing a system for a contract league. There are already several contract leagues out there, but these guys want to have a modular league that can sort of more closely mimic the NFL. So as a group, we've decided that we're going to give it a whirl, and play a partial season this year as a dry run, and then adopt the final system over our main redraft, from then on.

We abandoned the keeper/dynasty idea because we don't want the trouble of owners who decide to quit because they're locked into a dynasty of BADNESS, and then the problem of having to sell someone on that trash team, etc. It's also not that much more like the real game than a redraft is. Contract leagues with a salary cap draft and a rookie snake draft seems to be the most intriguing idea.

Do any of you guys play anything like that, and can you give me a heads up on any road bumps you've faced as a league, or as a team, that I should be alerting these guys about? Anything you dislike about the system?
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Building Next Year's League... question for the veterans

Postby dream_017 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:12 pm

FatFoot wrote:Anyone play in a contract league, as opposed to a dynasty/keeper?

Some buddies who work on sports stats for a living have been developing a system for a contract league. There are already several contract leagues out there, but these guys want to have a modular league that can sort of more closely mimic the NFL. So as a group, we've decided that we're going to give it a whirl, and play a partial season this year as a dry run, and then adopt the final system over our main redraft, from then on.

We abandoned the keeper/dynasty idea because we don't want the trouble of owners who decide to quit because they're locked into a dynasty of BADNESS, and then the problem of having to sell someone on that trash team, etc. It's also not that much more like the real game than a redraft is. Contract leagues with a salary cap draft and a rookie snake draft seems to be the most intriguing idea.

Do any of you guys play anything like that, and can you give me a heads up on any road bumps you've faced as a league, or as a team, that I should be alerting these guys about? Anything you dislike about the system?

Isn't a contract league, just a more advanced dynasty league? You can still have the same problems of people leaving teams in horrible cap trouble. For a couple of Cafe dynasty cap leagues, take a look at the VGML or the Defunct Dynasty league in the draft forums.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby grover99 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:16 pm

I've played in a salary cap dynasty league for the last three years, and the only problem is figuring out fair contracts for rookies. We have changed our rookie every year so far, and we still don't have it perfect. All in all salary leagues are alot more fun IMO.
12 Team 1/2 PPR Dynasty Auction League.
QB: Cutler, Hill
RB: Turner,Slaton,Benson,Mendenhall,Harrison,Robinson, Greene
WR: CJ2, Fitz, Smith(NYG), Brunce, Morgan,Bryant
TE: Carlson
grover99
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterTrivia Time Trial ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby FatFoot » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:18 pm

Yeah, but when you have the contract thing happening, first off, it's usually only X number of contracts per team, and when they run out, there's franchise tags and free agency, etc. So it's different than just having a draft on the first year, and then "My team now has LT, forever" kind of thing. And contracts would range between current season + 3, 2, or 1 year. So there's no keeper, but you can develop a team, and you can lock a player in for a long term, but like a salary cap league, you pay for that (in whatever monetary unit the league devises.)

I know it's not a unique idea, though the scoring should be pretty unique to this league.

I will definitely check out those suggestions though. Thanks.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby FatFoot » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:21 pm

grover99 wrote:I've played in a salary cap dynasty league for the last three years, and the only problem is figuring out fair contracts for rookies. We have changed our rookie every year so far, and we still don't have it perfect. All in all salary leagues are alot more fun IMO.

Right. And this is one of the biggest things that standard redrafts miss entirely, the whole premise of developing a rookie talent. We're weighing that against the big negative on a keeper, where a bad team can be legitimately bad for 5 years + even if the owner is trying.

Basically, we're trying to mirror NFL values as much as possible, while making the league as competitive as possible. We'd like owners to have to work, but not to have to devote their lives to their teams... which I know... sounds weird to anyone that reads this site. "Who doesn't devote his life to his team? Burn the heretic!"
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby grover99 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:17 pm

If you want me to, I can PM or email you a copy of our rules.
12 Team 1/2 PPR Dynasty Auction League.
QB: Cutler, Hill
RB: Turner,Slaton,Benson,Mendenhall,Harrison,Robinson, Greene
WR: CJ2, Fitz, Smith(NYG), Brunce, Morgan,Bryant
TE: Carlson
grover99
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterTrivia Time Trial ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby FatFoot » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:28 pm

That'd be great, if it's convenient. PM would be just fine.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Return to Football Talk