Return Yards - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Return Yards

Moderator: Football Moderators

Return Yards

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:15 am

Ok, I am in a league where I just beat the world's biggest complainer by three points. I'm not a fan of this guy, but he always organizes the fantasy leagues at my former work. Bear in mind that it was a publication based on wine tasting, and he was a senior editor, so is a bit of a snob.

Anyway, this is the 6th year I have played, and noticed in this year (the commish role rotates, the winner has to commish the next year) and this year, return yards were valued at 25 yards per point, plus 2 for over 100. so I adjusted accordingly and devalued wrs, because for some reason receiving yards were valued at the same rate. Thus, I figured people would not notice, and I counted on one decent WR, and then snagging hester.

Anyway, Cleveland's trends became obvious, so I picked up Cribbs, and beat him narrowly. (50 yards passing, one point'' 20 yards rushing, 25 return, catching). Then he started complaining. Screw that, read the rules.

His complaint is Defense counts retrun yards (which is a mistake), but at the same time, none of the guys one would want: hester, cribbs, ginn jr., hall, play for teams where one would want the defenses anyway. Second of all, is it that out of hand to include returning at this point? It's a major part of real games, and personally, I feel it should be reflected.

Granted, I'd rather a kick returner position be accounted for in the lineups, much like kicker and defense. That being said, I adjusted my whole draft strategy, figuring I could get guys who will score 5-7 points, and went for qb, rb and defense. I knew my returner guys wouldn't absoloutely explode, but provide me with a decent base. Complainer guy says that its lame, as I play Cribbs at WR, and he only has one catch.

Thoughts?
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Return Yards

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:21 am

Hey, if its in the rules, then it stands. Bottom line is that if he isn't fast enough to take advantage of what's in the rules then he has no room to complain.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:23 am

yea, more of a rant by me because I think it's ridiculous. And I don't buy his premise that counting return yards is lame.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby daullaz » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:06 pm

I don't like counting return yards, but one of my main league's has done it the last two years and I take full advantage of it. If you're set on counting them, it makes absolutely no sense to me to have them equal to rushing or receiving yards (as mine and yours does). Even the worst kick returners can bring a kickoff out to the 20 three or four times a game. The worst receiver can't rack up 60-80 yards a game.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:09 pm

eaglesrule wrote:yea, more of a rant by me because I think it's ridiculous. And I don't buy his premise that counting return yards is lame.

Well personally I don't like counting return yards either, but if I was in a league that did it I sure wouldn't whine about it when I lost.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re:

Postby skibrett15 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:47 pm

daullaz wrote:I don't like counting return yards, but one of my main league's has done it the last two years and I take full advantage of it. If you're set on counting them, it makes absolutely no sense to me to have them equal to rushing or receiving yards (as mine and yours does). Even the worst kick returners can bring a kickoff out to the 20 three or four times a game. The worst receiver can't rack up 60-80 yards a game.

Yeah, the way to go with return yards is how we run it in the Wide Right Keeper League (and other leagues I'm sure) 1pt per 10 yards rush/rec and 1 point per 30 (might be 25) yards return. Plus .5 per reception. It makes guys like Joshua Cribbs truly borderline guys since they will definitely get you like 4 points with a outside chance at a TD, but makes someone like Wes Welker just a little bit better. Anywho, that is not a legitimate gripe.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:52 pm

honestly, I wish there would just be a KR position that became standard. I don't like not having ST accoutned for, it is a big part of the real game. And I don' think it makes sense being tethered to the defense either.

That said, i only picked up cribbs because I wanted a guaranteed amount of points, rather than a bagel. Oh well.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Football Talk