UCONN/LOU Game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

UCONN/LOU Game

Moderator: Football Moderators

UCONN/LOU Game

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:09 am

Did anyone watch this or the highlights? How was that not a fair catch? You know had that guy leveled the PR he would have gotten a penalty.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: UCONN/LOU Game

Postby moonhead » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:31 am

yeah that was bogus. how is that not reviewable? why are there things that cannot be reviewed? stupid.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:45 am

deerayfan072 wrote:Did anyone watch this or the highlights? How was that not a fair catch? You know had that guy leveled the PR he would have gotten a penalty.

I was watching the game live. The first thing that came to mind was why is that not reviewable but the illegal forward pass in the USF/Rutgers game is? The announcers mentioned that that rule would probably be amended in the offseason, and I agree.

The thing that really annoyed me about it was that one of the announcers (a guy who said so many stupid things all night long I have no idea how he got the job) kept saying stuff like "that's why you have to keep playing and tackle the guy". He must've said it 50 times before the other announcer finally got fed up and said what I'm sure everyone was thinking, that if he had hit him and it had been called a fair catch like it should have (and like it is 99.99999 percent of the time) it would've been a 15 yard flag and that same bonehead would be ranting about how stupid the guy is for hitting the guy after the play.

This is why I hate penalties against guys who make it look like they're still playing. If you call for a fair catch and then run and someone lays you out, it shouldn't be a flag even if the whistle has blown. If someone scoops up an incomplete forward pass and starts running with it in case it's called a lateral, you shouldn't be penalized for tackling him. I remember a similar thing happening in the Florida/Auburn game in 2006. Cox handed the ball off and booted out pretending he had the ball like it was a bootleg. Jarvis Moss fell for it and thought he was running the bootleg and tackled him and got a 15 yard penalty. If you don't want to get hit, don't pretend you have the ball.

Same thing with guys barely going out of bounds. You can't touch them because it's a penalty, but then that day comes where the guy pretends to be slowing up towards the sidelines and cuts it back in while the defender stands helplessly.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Metroid » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:53 am

Yeah that was one of the worst calls I've seen this year, how an official did not see him wave his arm is beyond me. I gotta think the rule on not being able to review that will be changed next year, that was just crap.

Yeah I agree bagel, seems to me they're taking defense out of football more and more, or at least catering more to the offensive side. Protecting the QB, protecting the WR, protecting the return man...etc. You have to be so careful on defense anymore.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Gunslinger » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:15 am

I definitely agree about the guys that barely go out of bounds. You can often see them trying to draw the penalty. I think they should allow for hitting (assuming the whistle hasn't blown) within a certain proximity to the playing field. Give a 1 or 2 foot buffer on the sidelines where the defense is still allowed to hit an offensive player. You could mark the no-hit line and then it's up to the offensive player to get across that line if they don't want contact. That way if some WR/QB/RB wants to skate down the sideline and step out right before he gets hit, he at least needs to make it obvious what he's trying to do. Just a thought, but it really does bug me when someone gets a penalty for hitting a guy that is an inch out of bounds.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to College Football