Seems teams that utilize TE's are winners! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Seems teams that utilize TE's are winners!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Seems teams that utilize TE's are winners!

Postby EWSPECIALTY » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:54 pm

I was just thinking about all the top teams in the NFL and one common thread among many is that they have Tight Ends that they actually utilize in the passing game on a semi consistent basis. They aren't the number one recievers or anything like that (except Gates), but it just seems with these teams the TE's are considered threats. I look at teams that are down in the dumps and the one common thread of many is the exact opposite. Maybe it just stands out more on good teams, but it does seem to be a factor.

Just a dumb observation really, but it gives me something to think about when choosing a tight end.
Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Doing Right!
EWSPECIALTY
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Seems teams that utilize TE's are winners!

Postby Atog » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:16 pm

I'm not so sure...
I don't really think of Ben Watson as a big part of the Patriots offense,
Whatshisname who plays for the Steelers produces but he's not really a big part of their offense,
Dallas Clark gets the ball plenty,
The Jaguars, Packers, Panthers, Bucs, and Seahawks, I can't even name their starting TEs.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:21 pm

Patriots - Watson isnt a featured guy but when they need a 3rd down conversion and some tough yards, he is their guy.

Indy - Clark is the third weapon for that team. Great talent.

SD - Gates.

Packers - Donald Lee has been a surprise this season as he seems to have surpassed Franks.

Balt- Heap is a nice red-zone target. I dont think he is instrumental in their offense though.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bowie » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:25 pm

The tight end, the secret to NFL success
By Gregg Easterbrook
Special to Page 2
October 12, 2007, 6:55 PM ET
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ook/071009
Attention, NFL coaches: There are a couple of guys on your roster who can both block and catch. They're open a lot. So why don't you throw to them? The guys I am talking about are tight ends.

Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Indianapolis, Jersey/A, Kansas City, New England, Pittsburgh, San Diego and Washington are running offenses that feature the tight end. Who's on that list? The NFL's three undefeated clubs, plus a team that put up 41 points at 5,280 feet in Denver on Sunday, plus a couple of other winning teams. Monday night, Terrell Owens was shut down cold and tight end Jason Witten was the Cowboys' receiving star, with nine catches for 103 yards and a touchdown. True, it might be so that the Colts, Cowboys and Patriots are getting good tight end production because they have the league's best offenses right now and every aspect of their play is superior. But Tuesday Morning Quarterback suspects one reason these teams are winning is because they are featuring the tight end...
I am so smart. S-M-R-T
Bowie Beginner
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Where's Ryan Leaf? » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:34 am

Atog wrote:I'm not so sure...
I don't really think of Ben Watson as a big part of the Patriots offense,
Whatshisname who plays for the Steelers produces but he's not really a big part of their offense,
Dallas Clark gets the ball plenty,
The Jaguars, Packers, Panthers, Bucs, and Seahawks, I can't even name their starting TEs.

That "Whatshisname" is Heath Miller and he leads the team in catches and is tied for first on the team in touchdown passes -- I'd say he is a pretty big part of their offense.
"I love me some me"
Where's Ryan Leaf?
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby AllDay » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:01 am

I don't have any stats to prove it, but it seems like the last couple of years the TE has been being used more by several teams. The depth this year at the position seems to back that up - you didn't have to grab one of 3 or 4 TE's to have an impact player at that position.

Heap has been out quite a bit, but Gonzo and Gates haven't been too much more valuable than guys like Winslow, Clark, Watson or H Miller - and Witten looks like he could be the #1 TE by years end. Shockey, Cooley, and Dallas Clark have also contributed more than just a couple points per game.

I thought Chicago's TE production was based more on Grossman's inability to hit his WR's on a regular basis, but Griese seems to be getting them just as involved. It's a bit of a TEBC there, which hurts any single guys total output - but Desmond Clark has managed to eek out solid value since the QB switch.
What Would Purple Jesus Do?
AllDay
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby eagle0588 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:07 pm

its definitely helping my team win my games.
eagle0588
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby FatFoot » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:43 am

I'd agree that the TE has been a huge factor in TDs and to a lesser extent, yardage this year across the league... when compared with the last 2 years. I think things like this are pretty cyclical, though. One team finds success, so 5 others copy it, etc. See also: West Coast Offense, Cover/Tampa 2, etc.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Return to Football Talk