Chargers practice cancelled due to wildfires - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chargers practice cancelled due to wildfires

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chargers practice cancelled due to wildfires

Postby stomperrob » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:03 pm

Possibility it could affect next week's game:

Oct. 22, 2007, 2:37PM
Chargers cancel practice as LT, others flee fires
Status of Texans game Sunday still unknown

Associated Press

SAN DIEGO - Reigning NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson was among several San Diego Chargers players, coaches and staff members who had to evacuate their homes as wildfires burned in San Diego County.

The Chargers, who had just returned from their bye weekend, canceled practice Monday. Players were dismissed so they could take care of their families and because the air quality was poor due to smoke, spokesman Bill Johnston said.

As of late Monday morning, wildfires fanned by fierce desert winds forced the evacuations of nearly 250,000 people in the county.

There was no immediate word if any Chargers employees had lost their homes. Many players live in Poway and other suburbs northeast of downtown San Diego.

Tomlinson couldn't immediately be reached for comment. His mother, Loreane, said from Waco, that he called at 5 a.m. PDT and told her that he and wife were looking for a hotel. "I told him to keep me posted,'' Loreane Tomlinson said.

Center Nick Hardwick said players were asked at a team meeting to raise their hands if they were affected, "and at one point, three-quarters of the room raised their hands. I guess a lot of guys live up there. There were some pretty long faces this morning. A lot of coaches and people upstairs have to deal with this.''

Hardwick lives in Point Loma, near the Pacific Ocean.

"It's pretty humbling, for sure,'' Hardwick said. "You've got guys with families dealing with real situations. You don't normally expect that coming to work. Normally, the worst-case scenario is when you miss a block or something, but if your house is burning down and you have to get your family out of the city, that's a different issue.''

Hardwick said players heard there was a chance the team would practice at an out-of-town site, but nothing had been confirmed.

Johnston said it was too early to know if the fires will affect Sunday's scheduled home game against the Texans at Qualcomm Stadium, where the parking lot was being used as an evacuation center.

Four years ago to the week, the Chargers had to move a home Monday night game to Phoenix on short notice because the Qualcomm parking lot was being used as an evacuation center during deadly wildfires.

Tomlinson's business manager, Lamar Andrews, said he checked on the player at 5 a.m. and he and his wife had already left their home. Andrews said two other players he represents, safety Marlon McCree and linebacker Matt Wilhelm, also evacuated their homes.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Chargers practice cancelled due to wildfires

Postby Howie » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:20 pm

That sucks. I live in LA right now (which is also fire-central at the moment) and i lived in SD during the last batch of so cal fires (in 2003). However, i would say the chances of the game being postponed are slim to none. The fires will be put out or die by friday at the latest, hopefully by wednesday. They never last weeks.
Howie
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eagle0588 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:12 am

THere are just fires all over so. cal right now and they are having a hard time putting it out beccause of the strong winds. I pray that no one gets hurt or dies and that everyone affected will be able to come through this and get back to living their life normally as possible.
eagle0588
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby stomperrob » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:56 pm

Howie wrote:That sucks. I live in LA right now (which is also fire-central at the moment) and i lived in SD during the last batch of so cal fires (in 2003). However, i would say the chances of the game being postponed are slim to none. The fires will be put out or die by friday at the latest, hopefully by wednesday. They never last weeks.

No way it's postponed, but it could be moved to Phoenix or Dallas.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:01 pm

Is there any news on when/where the SD game will be played this week?

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:09 pm

mutantseabass wrote:Is there any news on when/where the SD game will be played this week?

they are still waiting.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Howie » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:10 pm

From Rotoworld.

This weekend's Chargers-Texans game will held held at Qualcomm Stadium on Sunday.
The teams at one point expected the game to be moved to Monday, but it appears the originally scheduled start time (4:05 ET Sunday) will stay the same. Oct. 26 - 2:27 pm et

;-D
Howie
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:37 pm

this time the terrorists don't win.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye