OFFICIAL CAFE Top 25 Week 2 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

OFFICIAL CAFE Top 25 Week 2

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: OFFICIAL CAFE Top 25 Week 2

Postby CC » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:00 pm

statsman88 wrote:I have 4 SEC teams in the top 5 and OSU at #11. Oh, and I'm a "Big Ten" Voter :-D

Ohio St. behind a 2 loss SC team that lost to Vanderbilt this week? You most definitely are not a Big 10 voter.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:16 pm

methinks knapps been free basing with the USF Kool-aid. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:12 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:OK. Lets try this again:

So why is Kanas so "low"? I had these 3 undefeateds ranked as 3. BC, 4. KU, 5. ASU. The more I think about it, I actually like KU a bit more than BC. Why so "low" on KU, and by comparison, so "high" on BC and ASU? It cant be sched. I know things will shake out as the season goes on, but I'm thinking if all things remain equal, those that ranked Kansas so low, will continue to do so.

I made it a point to watch Kansas play this weekend since I hadn't seen them yet. I came away very unimpressed. It could have just been a bad game that left them eeking out a win against a bad Colorado team, but I didn't see many of the symptoms you generally see in games where a top team just has an off day. No muffed punts, no tipped interceptions, etc. It looked like they played their game exactly as they wanted to, and it didn't look good. Again, it could've just been a "this week" kind of thing or maybe their defense is just great and that's going to make their games look bad, but unfortunately at this point that one game is all I have to go on :\

The second point is of course, schedule. While it's true that ASU and BC's schedules have been fairly laughable at this point, that makes it even worse that Kansas' schedule has been so bad that it makes those two's look like they're playing top 10 teams every week. Colorado, who has gotten slaughtered in several out of conference games, was probably the marquee game on Kansas' schedule up to this point. Does anyone even realize that ASU played Colorado too? Probably not, because on their schedule Colorado is a complete afterthought, and because ASU cakewalked past them with such ease that Colorado shouldn't have even bothered showing up. By the end of the year, it'll probably end up their 8th or 9th toughest game. Kansas doesn't play a ranked team until the last game of the season.

If Kansas had played the schedules of some of those teams you put them ahead of, and had already played teams like LSU, Auburn, Kentucky, etc do you really think they'd even be sniffing an undefeated record right now? We can't say for sure, but if they played anything like they did this weekend against Colorado they would have lost every game on Florida's schedule at this point except for Western Kentucky, and that includes Troy and Ole Miss.

It probably doesn't help that they're Kansas either. While that shouldn't matter, I'm sure that unfortunately it probably effects us unconsciously.

For me, I'll continue to make sure I see as many Kansas games as I can. Perhaps they'll impress me more in those games. The crappy thing is that we don't really get to see what they can do until the last week of the year and with no Oklahoma, Texas, or even Texas Tech on their schedule they really only have to win ONE semi-difficult game all year long. I mean really, if you look down the list of their opponents, almost every one of their even barely competitive opponents have just gotten stomped in out of conference games against other BCS conferences. Not just losses, shalackings. They're making a season out of playing their toughest games against teams that are shrugged off warm-up games for the other teams ranked around them.

The first 4 games were:
Central Mich
SE Louisiana
Toledo
Florida International

I won't even go into those, they don't matter, they're basically 0-0 at that point.

Then they've got:
Kansas State (23-13 loss to Auburn)
Baylor (no OOC BCS games, but got stomped by TCU 27-0)
Colorado (33-14 loss to ASU, 16-6 loss to FSU)
Texas A&M (34-17 loss to Miami)
Nebraska (49-31 loss to USC)
Oklahoma State (35-14 loss to Georgia, oh and 41-23 loss to Troy just for kicks)
Iowa State (not even worth going through all of them, losses to DII schools)

And then finally, Missouri...a real game. Up until that game, they play a bunch of teams that total one OOC BCS victory which came against an awful Iowa team, and find themselves as some of the easiest games on even middle of the road teams from other conferences schedules. It's going to be tough to convince anyone with that schedule.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby statsman88 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:27 pm

CC wrote:
statsman88 wrote:I have 4 SEC teams in the top 5 and OSU at #11. Oh, and I'm a "Big Ten" Voter :-D

Ohio St. behind a 2 loss SC team that lost to Vanderbilt this week? You most definitely are not a Big 10 voter.

Your right, I'm just from the big ten country of indiana. But I guess that just automatically makes me a "Big ten voter". Really I'm more of "If team a plays team b on a neutral site, who would win" voter :-)
statsman88
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:41 pm

Free Bagel wrote:

So why is Kanas so "low"? I had these 3 undefeateds ranked as 3. BC, 4. KU, 5. ASU. The more I think about it, I actually like KU a bit more than BC. Why so "low" on KU, and by comparison, so "high" on BC and ASU? It cant be sched. I know things will shake out as the season goes on, but I'm thinking if all things remain equal, those that ranked Kansas so low, will continue to do so.

I made it a point to watch Kansas play this weekend since I hadn't seen them yet. I came away very unimpressed. It could have just been a bad game that left them eeking out a win against a bad Colorado team, but I didn't see many of the symptoms you generally see in games where a top team just has an off day. No muffed punts, no tipped interceptions, etc. It looked like they played their game exactly as they wanted to, and it didn't look good. Again, it could've just been a "this week" kind of thing or maybe their defense is just great and that's going to make their games look bad, but unfortunately at this point that one game is all I have to go on :\

The second point is of course, schedule. While it's true that ASU and BC's schedules have been fairly laughable at this point, that makes it even worse that Kansas' schedule has been so bad that it makes those two's look like they're playing top 10 teams every week. Colorado, who has gotten slaughtered in several out of conference games, was probably the marquee game on Kansas' schedule up to this point. Does anyone even realize that ASU played Colorado too? Probably not, because on their schedule Colorado is a complete afterthought, and because ASU cakewalked past them with such ease that Colorado shouldn't have even bothered showing up. By the end of the year, it'll probably end up their 8th or 9th toughest game. Kansas doesn't play a ranked team until the last game of the season.

If Kansas had played the schedules of some of those teams you put them ahead of, and had already played teams like LSU, Auburn, Kentucky, etc do you really think they'd even be sniffing an undefeated record right now? We can't say for sure, but if they played anything like they did this weekend against Colorado they would have lost every game on Florida's schedule at this point except for Western Kentucky, and that includes Troy and Ole Miss.

It probably doesn't help that they're Kansas either. While that shouldn't matter, I'm sure that unfortunately it probably effects us unconsciously.

For me, I'll continue to make sure I see as many Kansas games as I can. Perhaps they'll impress me more in those games. The crappy thing is that we don't really get to see what they can do until the last week of the year and with no Oklahoma, Texas, or even Texas Tech on their schedule they really only have to win ONE semi-difficult game all year long. I mean really, if you look down the list of their opponents, almost every one of their even barely competitive opponents have just gotten stomped in out of conference games against other BCS conferences. Not just losses, shalackings. They're making a season out of playing their toughest games against teams that are shrugged off warm-up games for the other teams ranked around them.

The first 4 games were:
Central Mich
SE Louisiana
Toledo
Florida International

I won't even go into those, they don't matter, they're basically 0-0 at that point.

Then they've got:
Oklahoma State (35-14 loss to Georgia, oh and 41-23 loss to Troy just for kicks)

And then finally, Missouri...a real game. Up until that game, they play a bunch of teams that total one OOC BCS victory which came against an awful Iowa team, and find themselves as some of the easiest games on even middle of the road teams from other conferences schedules. It's going to be tough to convince anyone with that schedule.

I appreciate your response also, deeray. I guess I give more credence to KSU and CU road victories than the rest. ASU beast CU at home. Big difference in my book. Plus CU has played better at home than on the road this year. ASU has played nothing but cupcakes up to this point. BC has a nice win against GT, but then some unimpressive wins against the likes of Navy and UMASS(?). I cant give them credit for the WF win considering NU beat them a week later. I guess even if one is more impressed with BC, then fine, but BC in the top5 and KU clinging to a top15 spot doesnt make sense to me.
I guess that as far as whether I think KU could beat some of the other teams with more losses, no, I dont think they could. But thats just my opinion. I try to leave the subjectivity out as much as possible using only the facts.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sandrock » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:25 am

Free Bagel wrote:

The first 4 games were:
Central Mich
SE Louisiana
Toledo
Florida International

Then they've got:

I find it interesting that you put Kansas so low, yet you put Oklahoma at #3. Both went into Colorado to play, and if I remember correctly Kansas came away with a win and Oklahoma didn't. If Kansas' schedule is so weak, what does that say about Oklahoma?
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:34 am

Sandrock wrote:If Kansas' schedule is so weak, what does that say about Oklahoma?

That Oklahoma has played Miami, Texas, and Missouri while Kansas has played Kansas State, SE Louisiana, and Florida International?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby knapplc » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:21 am

Metroid wrote:knapp....USF at #3? Really? :-?

I figured I'd catch somebody's attention with that. :-b

Do they really deserve to be #3? Probably not. They're a good team and they've got some great kids, but they're playing way over their heads.

The reason I ranked them so high is that USF is one of the most motivated teams I've watched all year. These guys really want to play well and win. They have less talent than a lot of teams, but I doubt there's a team in the nation with more heart. Combine their heart, their drive and their talent, and you've got a team that deserves to be #3 more than most, and certainly more than Boston College, Oklahoma or anyone else up in that vicinity.

And yes, I watched their loss. I cried, too. :,-(
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Daddymike59 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:43 am

I would like to see some of the formulas that some peop;le (MIKUS) came up with (Statsman)

I'm way too homified, I guess.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mikus » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:48 am

Daddymike59 wrote:I would like to see some of the formulas that some peop;le (MIKUS) came up with (Statsman)

I'm way too homified, I guess.

Strength of schedule played a part in Ohio State's ranking. I am not convinced yet with the Buckeyes, but if they keep winning I will have no choice but to move them up near the top of the rankings.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

PreviousNext

Return to College Football