OFFICIAL CAFE Top 25 Week 2 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

OFFICIAL CAFE Top 25 Week 2

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: OFFICIAL CAFE Top 25 Week 2

Postby statsman88 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:12 pm

CC wrote:
statsman88 wrote:
Daddymike59 wrote:I would like to see some of the formulas that some peop;le (MIKUS) came up with (Statsman)

I'm way too homified, I guess.

My formula was this:
weight of team X height of team / number of games played^3 x # of letters in coach's name = your ranking

anyway to answer your question seriously, I rate teams based on who I believe are the bests teams, not the best records. I do "if team A plays team B on a neutral site who would win" for some of the rankings. Thats why I have 10 teams in front of Ohio St. I think 10 teams are better than them, thats why Florida is #2

Yet Auburn beat Florida in the Swamp, doesn't this defeat your whole ranking system since you have them behind Florida in your rankings.

I dont' really see how your point is relevant to my ranking system. I believe that Florida is the 2nd best team in the nation. I believe that they did not play as well as they could have that game and they were looking ahead to LSU a bit. Still, Auburn is a good team and should be given alot of credit for winning that game, I just think Florida is better

Its the same thing with your Michigan team. Would you rank Michigan behind Appalachian St. because Appalachian St. beat Michigan at The Big House? No, because you think Michigan is a better team overall than Appalachian St.
statsman88
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby CC » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:11 am

statsman88 wrote:
CC wrote:
Yet Auburn beat Florida in the Swamp, doesn't this defeat your whole ranking system since you have them behind Florida in your rankings.

I dont' really see how your point is relevant to my ranking system. I believe that Florida is the 2nd best team in the nation. I believe that they did not play as well as they could have that game and they were looking ahead to LSU a bit. Still, Auburn is a good team and should be given alot of credit for winning that game, I just think Florida is better

Its the same thing with your Michigan team. Would you rank Michigan behind Appalachian St. because Appalachian St. beat Michigan at The Big House? No, because you think Michigan is a better team overall than Appalachian St.

In your system, yes Michigan would be ranked behind App St.
However, I do not employ the neutral field theory of ranking teams because I take a teams entire body of work into my rankings as opposed to just the way that they are playing now.

I was merely pointing out that "on a neutral field" empirical evidence would dictate that Auburn would beat Florida being as they already defeated them in the Swamp. Basically my entire point was to point of the fallacy of ranking a team specifically based on your subjective opinion of who would win in some sort of hypothetical vacuum where neither team was afforded an advantage based on where they played.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby statsman88 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:21 am

CC wrote:
statsman88 wrote:
CC wrote:

In your system, yes Michigan would be ranked behind App St.
However, I do not employ the neutral field theory of ranking teams because I take a teams entire body of work into my rankings as opposed to just the way that they are playing now.

I was merely pointing out that "on a neutral field" empirical evidence would dictate that Auburn would beat Florida being as they already defeated them in the Swamp. Basically my entire point was to point of the fallacy of ranking a team specifically based on your subjective opinion of who would win in some sort of hypothetical vacuum where neither team was afforded an advantage based on where they played.

I get what your saying, but I would argue that I'm not taking just one or two games into account, I'm looking at a bigger sample size than that for each team. I'm basically just saying who I think is a better team to come up with my rankings. I've watched Auburn alot, and I've also watched Florida quite a bit as well. I believe that if they played each other today on a neutral site that Florida would win. Yes Auburn beat Florida, but I think there were different variables in that game that favored Auburn. All in all, I believe that Florida is a bit better team. And thats what I rank on, who I think are the best teams. Is it opinionated? Very.

Playoffs would solve alot. Anyone wanna get rid of Jim Delaney yet?
statsman88
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:13 am

Just wanted to ask if everyone can get me their rankins as soon as they can after all the games are over. I have more time in the begining of the week and want to try and get it out early. Thanks guys
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mikus » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:14 am

I cannot get it to you until Sunday night/Monday morning every week b/c I go out of town on the weekends.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:19 am

mikus wrote:I cannot get it to you until Sunday night/Monday morning every week b/c I go out of town on the weekends.

yea I would expect it any sooner than that :-b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:16 pm

ll be in Tahoe this weekend and won't be at a computer till Sunday night late cali time. I probably won't have time till Monday night.

I might do it Sunday if I get a chance.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:19 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:ll be in Tahoe this weekend and won't be at a computer till Sunday night late cali time. I probably won't have time till Monday night.

I might do it Sunday if I get a chance.

monday night is great ;-D

i was talking more about not getting them on thurs :-b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to College Football