examining a trade - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

examining a trade

Moderator: Football Moderators

examining a trade

Postby prayn4food » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:20 am

I am a commissioner in a league with friends and family. It is a Yahoo! league with 16 teams and two starting quarterbacks per team, so even Quinn Gray has value in our league. I am leading the league in points and tied for the best record.

Having Tom Brady, and extreme depth at all other positions, I sought to strengthen my QB position by letting my brother know I was interested in Peyton Manning. He offered me Manning (147 points) for Devin Hester (75 points - d and return yards count) and Joey Harrington (72 points). Hester is my favorite player, so I counter-offered Edge (89 points) and Harrington (72). He accepted. Other owners are furious. After owners were vetoing clearly even trades last season, I let everyone know this season the commish would make the decisions. I even think it is a reasonably fair trade, since he lacks the depth I do (I am filling Edge's spot with either Laurence Maroney or Chris Brown - again, a 16 team league in which owners have Chris Henry (Bengals) and Koren Robinson). Some owners have even begun proposing and accepting obviously collusive trades - Tony Romo/Donovan McNabb/Brian Westbrook for Ladell Betts/Maurice Morris/Patrick Cobbs. Do I tell them all to grow up, or do I roll over and bark?
prayn4food
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: examining a trade

Postby RCR » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:07 pm

Not sure that Trade is fair (depends on scoring and if your League is a Keeper) but someone at the beginning of the year should have been appointed to oversee any trades you as the Commish are involved in. If you were only starting 1 QB, most wouldn't have a problem I assume. But you should be wary of damaging the integrity of the league if you come off as heavy-handed (you obviously would never veto your own trades or else you'd have never proposed or accepted it in the first place!).
RCR
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby suhgamer » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:26 pm

the trade is a tad suspicious, yours that is. that kind of deal, with your brother, will turn some heads and cause some problems. not sure that would fly in many leagues, but tread lightly.

peyton almost outscores them combined and harrington blows. i'd consider vetoing your own trade (claim there was enough outrage) and working on a deal that doesn't raise as many eye brows. but also veto any collusive trades that have followed.
suhgamer
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby prayn4food » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:35 pm

personally, i am a firm believer in the Andy Behrens philosophy of trading: Andy Behrens wrote:Don't talk to me about competitive balance, either. None of us are trying to achieve that. In fact, the purpose of everything you do as a manager is to achieve competitive imbalance. You're trying to win. Everyone should be trying to win. As long as all parties in a trade believe they've improved their chances, there's not much left to consider. (http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/nfl/news?slug=ab-rotoarcade_092207)

For me, it's not a question of whether or not the trade was fair, but whether or not it was collusion. Of course I am not going to be proposing trades based on fairness; I am going to be trading to get more value than I am giving. The problem I have with the outrage is, no one complained when Ladell Betts (15 points) was traded for Chris Chambers (49 points) last week. I figure, I didn't threaten him and I didn't offer him money, and he is FAR from out of the playoff race (plus, despite how you may feel about him, Edge is the seventh best back points-wise in our league and the best on my roster), so how is that cheating in any way if he is willing to deal Peyton lower than some would value him?

That said, I'm probably just trying to justify myself, of course. One owner did just laugh and say, "Good, that means that you will have TWO quarterbacks who won't be playing during our playoffs!" Any more thoughts on owner-management would be appreciated though.
prayn4food

Postby suhgamer » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:14 pm

whoa, whoa. calm down. some deep breathes can help to. you post here looking for opinion, thats what people will give ya. there is no written consitution that governs all fantasy football leagues or its players. its a matter of taste (people in your league) and personal experience.

as being a commish a few times, i've always believed that commish should have the final say. as said previously, there should be a advisor or someone overseeing the commish just for aspects like this. someone with objective reasoning. on top of that, i also avoid ruling with an ironfist. take the word or the people within the league, heck go with some outside sources (the cafe), your thoughts and put it all together.

just remember that its hard to make objective, unbiased decisions when the trade involves you, the commish.
suhgamer
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby prayn4food » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:34 pm

thanks again, and sorry, yeah, i probably am over-defensive at this point, since i have not yet responded to the questions of the league, hoping to avoid a similarly emotional response.

;-D
prayn4food

Postby suhgamer » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:17 pm

all good bud. just think of whats best for the league when getting into murky waters. best of luck to ya.
suhgamer
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby converge241 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:00 am

trade looks fine to me harrington has a ton more value in a 2 qb
Black and Gold through and through
The Six Time Super Bowl CHAMPIONS
converge241
Offensive Coordinator