Matt Forte - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Matt Forte

Moderator: Football Moderators

Matt Forte

Postby mikus » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:53 am

Anybody else noticed what Forte has been doing at Tulane:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/pr ... rId=161747

I know he had some not-so-great games against superior opponents (Mississippi State, LSU), but some of his numbers are staggering. They suggested on the radio this morning that if Tulane was winning these games, he probably would be mentioned in the Heisman race.

Is he first-day NFL draft material?
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Re: Matt Forte

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:35 am

mikus wrote:Anybody else noticed what Forte has been doing at Tulane:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/pr ... rId=161747

I know he had some not-so-great games against superior opponents (Mississippi State, LSU), but some of his numbers are staggering. They suggested on the radio this morning that if Tulane was winning these games, he probably would be mentioned in the Heisman race.

Is he first-day NFL draft material?

Mediocre high school players often put up absurd stats playing against awful high school defenses. That is all that is happening here. When a guy is putting up 300yds and 4 TDs against Souther Methodist and Southeastern Louisiana but is held under 100 yards and out of the endzone against every top 75 team he's faced it's a pretty easy read to me.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:44 pm

While I err on the side of Bagel, you have to give him some credit when he averages 4.6 yrds/carry against LSU with the Tulane offensive line going up against what many consider to be the best front seven in college football.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mikus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:41 am

Movin' on up:

RotoWorld wrote:The Browns "kept a watchful eye" on Tulane RB Matt Forte during Senior Bowl week, according to the Dayton Daily News.

Forte, who took Senior Bowl MVP honors, would be a good fit for the power running scheme OC Rob Chudzinski uses. Team officials reportedly met with Forte twice in Mobile. He'd be an interesting second-round pick for the Browns to develop behind Jamal Lewis, who will likely get a short-term deal.
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:57 pm

The main problem with him is exactly what you said, which is that he hasn't done very well against the good opponents he's played against. If he can't run on Mississippi St., how do you figure he can run on NFL defenses?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:50 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:The main problem with him is exactly what you said, which is that he hasn't done very well against the good opponents he's played against. If he can't run on Mississippi St., how do you figure he can run on NFL defenses?

The same could have been said about Larry Johnson and a host of other guys, the man was running behind a Tulane offensive line and put up decent numbers.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:59 pm

CC wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:The main problem with him is exactly what you said, which is that he hasn't done very well against the good opponents he's played against. If he can't run on Mississippi St., how do you figure he can run on NFL defenses?

The same could have been said about Larry Johnson and a host of other guys, the man was running behind a Tulane offensive line and put up decent numbers.

again with the Larry Johnson argument ;-) :-b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mikus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:15 pm

In one game that really mattered for his draft status against some of the nation's best seniors, he ran, caught and blocked pretty well.
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CC » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:17 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
CC wrote:

again with the Larry Johnson argument ;-) :-b

Haha, I feel it is somewhat pertinent. I am not a huge Forte fan, I just learned my lesson after I waxed repeatedly about how massive a bust Larry Johnson was going to be after watching him shred crappy defenses and get shut down by the good Big 10 teams and looking quite foolish.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:31 pm

CC wrote:Haha, I feel it is somewhat pertinent. I am not a huge Forte fan, I just learned my lesson after I waxed repeatedly about how massive a bust Larry Johnson was going to be after watching him shred crappy defenses and get shut down by the good Big 10 teams and looking quite foolish.

I just thought it was funny because you and I had this discussion a couple months ago :-b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to College Football