Dave Richards Top Ten for 2008 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dave Richards Top Ten for 2008

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Dave Richards Top Ten for 2008

Postby PMoneyTKE » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:42 pm

knapplc wrote:
The Lung wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:yea, the brady owners in two of my leagues are sub .500.

that said IF Brady keeps this up AND he could repeat, then he has to go first round. If you play 6 points per passing TD, and he gets 10 more than everyone else, that is basically making up for the RB Tds you would miss out on.

Like I said, if you've got proper league settings that don't ridiculously favor QBs, then QBs still shouldn't go first round. If you only award 4 points per passing and 1 point per 25 or 30 yards passing, and give running backs 1 point per 10 yards rushing and 6 points per TD, then it's balanced. With balanced settings, even if Brady throws 50+ TDs this year, he still shouldn't go first round next year.

The scoring system you show there ridiculously overvalues running backs, though.

You and I have had this conversation before, so I'll keep it brief, but I personally feel that the most important position in the game of football is the quarterback. By artificially devaluing a quarterback in fantasy (4 points per TD, for example), you're skewing your league away from what the "real" game is all about.

If you and your league think that's cool, that's cool with me too. But my league doesn't do that to QBs. We give 6 points per TD no matter who scores it, end of story. A TD is a TD is a TD.

I'm not quite sure where I stand on this yet...but at the moment it seems that to me, when you have QBs who throw routinely for 3-6 TDs a game, how is that overvaluing QBs when you make TDs 4 points? RBS NEVER score 4-6 TDs...so wouldn't it equal it out to make RB TDs worth a little more?
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Lung » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:44 pm

knapplc wrote:You and I have had this conversation before, so I'll keep it brief, but I personally feel that the most important position in the game of football is the quarterback. By artificially devaluing a quarterback in fantasy (4 points per TD, for example), you're skewing your league away from what the "real" game is all about.

If you and your league think that's cool, that's cool with me too. But my league doesn't do that to QBs. We give 6 points per TD no matter who scores it, end of story. A TD is a TD is a TD.

Without revisiting the entire conversation again, I still maintain that fantasy football should be about the equal contribution of each individual position for your entire team score. There should never be skewed league settings which allow a "hammer" (basically one extraordinarily strong player or defensive unit) which will win a matchup, or the entire league, for a manager despite next to zero contributions from the rest of his lineup. I've played in leagues with ridiculous D/ST league settings where the bozo who drafted the elite defense in the 5th round scored 40+ points each week just from his D/ST, and killed everyone despite knowing virtually nothing about fantasy football and having basically garbage on the rest of his roster. I played in a league in 2004 with ridiculous QB settings where the guy with Peyton Manning scored 40+ points each week just from his QB, and killed everyone despite it being his first year EVER in fantasy football and having basically garbage on the rest of his roster.

The guys who drafted Shaun Alexander in 2005, and LaDainain Tomlinson last year, and Tom Brady this year should not be essentially waltzing to league titles. League settings should be regulated so that the contribution to your total team score from the QB, RBs, & WRs are all roughly equal, with TEs, D/ST, and Kicker a smaller total contribution but roughly equal amongst themselves.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:03 pm

I agree with The Lung on this matter....last year in one of my leagues was a team that had LT and Chicago D/ST, followed by a garbage team. He easily made the playoffs and almost won the whole thing thanks to those two.

This might be the one thing i like about fantasy basketball....even with the top players, it is rare for them to singe handedly destroy your opponents....even if kobe scores 60 and marcus camby gets 15 rebounds and 8 blocks, it is much easier for the other team to make up those stats with their other players than it is to get raw points like in football imo.

but watching football >>>>>>>> basketball

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk