Homerism at its finest - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Homerism at its finest

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Homerism at its finest

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:15 am

believable. one guy in one of my leagues occasionally tries this, and he had mcnabb, westbrook, TO in 2004. He crushed until the big sit. But you gotta be in it to win it too...

That said, I don't think the Pats are going to have much of an option, with how good the Colts are. They lose that game, they have to win an entire extra game for home field. The win, and there is the chance for the 16-0 season. Given how they are sticking it to people, I don't see the same scenario playing out.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jmog » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 am

eaglesrule wrote:believable. one guy in one of my leagues occasionally tries this, and he had mcnabb, westbrook, TO in 2004. He crushed until the big sit. But you gotta be in it to win it too...

That said, I don't think the Pats are going to have much of an option, with how good the Colts are. They lose that game, they have to win an entire extra game for home field. The win, and there is the chance for the 16-0 season. Given how they are sticking it to people, I don't see the same scenario playing out.

We have an Eagles homer in our league too. We have a Browns homer, a Steelers homer, and a Dolphins homer as well...guess which team is in last?

I'm a huge Browns fan, but almost never draft a Browns player, because with 2 or 3 other Browns fans in my league they always get drafted sooner than I'd be willing to go get them.
jmog
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 25)

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:10 am

agreed. But in the case of the Pats homer, was it stupid? I wouldn't draft too many Browns or anyone for that matter unless I really felt they were worth it. But when you get a bunch of guys from a team that's crushing, its kind of hard to criticize.

I think the Pats do have a chance to keep playing till 15-16, so it might not be such a bad thing, even if I would never do this myself.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby treat24 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:24 am

I'm a Vikings homer, but you have to put that aside sometimes. I got AD in almost every league because I drafted him in the 2nd or 3rd in ever draft. the ONE league I didn't get him he went 2.01... i was 2.05 and I was gonna take him. Picking Pats IMO is a decent fantasy move before the season. You knew they would have a good offense, that way whenever they have the ball you are racking up some points.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Danger » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:50 am

I was always told to stay away from Pats receivers early since Brady spreads the ball around so well, hence I passed on Moss for the likes of Deion Branch :-t
Danger
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:48 am

Danger wrote:I was always told to stay away from Pats receivers early since Brady spreads the ball around so well, hence I passed on Moss for the likes of Deion Branch :-t

That's why "stay away" is kind of misleading. I got him in the 4th/5th in a few leagues, and honestly, the reward there is too great. You can always see what's what. Yea, he spreads the ball around, but so did Donovan--until the weapon comes to town.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ivesaidway2much » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:41 am

What is he going to do in Week 10?
ivesaidway2much
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:49 am

ivesaidway2much wrote:What is he going to do in Week 10?

Lose that week. :-b
The Loveable Losers Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatFoot » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:00 am

Moss wasn't going until the late 3rd, early 4th in most leagues, because of how poor his performance had been of late. Of COURSE now he's a 1st or 2nd round pick, if you could do it all over. But it would have been possible in most leagues, to draft LT, Edge, Brady, and Moss in that order, if you had a time machine.

Wouldn't that be special?

It's good to play against homer teams when you live in Chicago or Miami, or St. Louis, etc this year. I have no problem playing against a team that reaches for Cedric Benson.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:12 pm

Being a Dallas fan id welcome more cowboys on my team, because they score points, I watch every game beginning to end, but I still know when to draw the line...I noticed I have lots of NFC east players, only Cowboy I have is Barber, but looking back if I had Witten instead of Gates, TO & Crayton starting, and Romo, I wouldnt be doing that bad either, I just prefer to not go overboard due to whenever the cowboys get shut down I lose, id rather take my chances spreading the wealth out...and I also dont want to chalk up a free loss due to all those byes, thats just too many bye weeks to cover, I like to spread my team out...so i might try to trade TO for CJ etc
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer