Are one week trades cheating? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Are one week trades cheating?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Are one week trades cheating?

Postby jdogg_ffc » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:36 pm

I think this ques. gets asked every yr and yes I do think it is a form of cheating.

The next ques is roster churning and yes that is cheating also.
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Felix the Cat » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:18 pm

Flyn high again wrote:Until Yahoo and the other FF leagues come up with a specific rule, this will be a matter of contention. Here's a sample rule if any of them want to use it:

"One week trades where Player A is traded for Player B and then Player B is traded back for Player A after the week's games are not allowed."

You could also add a time clause to prevent Player A being traded for player B and then traded back for player C.

"One week trades between owners are not allowed. If you trade a player to an owner, that player is not allowed to be traded back to your team for 4 weeks [or whatever time period is desired by the league]."

This simple rule addition would solve the problem.

Except that there might actually be legit reasons to reverse a trade, where there was no intent or agreement to reverse it the next week.

i.e. It's week 3. You're hurting for WR, I'm hurting for RB. I trade you Andre Johnson for Larry Johnson or whatever. The game for the week rolls around, AJ is injured and out for a long time, and you don't have the bench space for an indefinitely out WR and need someone startable for next week. I am willing to hold on to AJ in hopes that he comes back soon. That week I trade you, say, Patrick Crayton for Andre Johnson and Eric Johnson or something like that.

I hope nobody would say THAT's collusion or undermining the rules, and there's no reason it should be illegal.

When making a rule, you always have to weigh the harm done via not having the rule versus the harm done by having the rule. Assuming for the moment that we all agree that planned one-week trades are illegal, how often do we see them? How about once in a blue moon? Is making a questionable practice that has nearly negligible effects on fair play worth making what is ordinary trading by trade-happy owners illegal? I don't think so.

It's like driving during the day with one of your side turn lights burned out. Is it illegal? Yes. Does it cause potential road hazards? Yes. Does the harm done by having one of the least-looked-at lights on a car justify the cost of enforcement and and inconvenience caused to innocent, almost-law-abiding drivers who were driving to work and didn't know their light was out? Not really, no.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby FatFoot » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:08 pm

Trading for someone, and then trading that person away a week later is not what this thread is about. It's about trading a player, and then trading back the next week. Loaning players to other teams. What you're describing is just a trade. What we're describing is collusion.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Karoz » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:41 pm

Some people have no problem with it, others do. You'll just have to make a judgement call. It's not unfair to the rest of the league, since everyone has the opportunity to do the same thing. Hence, it's not an unfair advantage.

However, in my opinion, while it might implement a higher degree of strategy during the season, it takes away the fun of building up a strong team that can withstand BYE weeks without having to participate in such trades.

Personally, I like to implement a rule where once a player is involved in a transaction, he can't be traded/dropped for a period of three weeks. This takes away the option of "swapping" players for a week.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Felix the Cat » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:18 pm

FatFoot wrote:Trading for someone, and then trading that person away a week later is not what this thread is about. It's about trading a player, and then trading back the next week. Loaning players to other teams. What you're describing is just a trade. What we're describing is collusion.

So does it only count if it's EXACTLY the same trade each time? So if team A trades Jeff Garcia, Brandon Jacobs, and John Carney to team B, and then receives back the next week Jeff Garcia, Brandon Jacobs, and Morten Andersen by prior arrangement, that would be legal?

What if it's a 3-way arrangement?

What if the trade I described in my last post was by prior arrangement?

That's the thing. There's all of these possibilities. It would be virtually impossible to write a rule to prevent it without also preventing legitimate transactions. Since one-week trades are very rare, it's not worth it.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby latraffic » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:05 pm

FF Newbie wrote:Maybe the Giants could loan the Patriots Plaxico Burress in week 9 since they are on bye that week and won't need him. The Patriots could return the favor in week 10 by loaning the Giants Randy Moss. They could include a backup kicker or something in the trade to make it look legit, then just trade back a week later. I'm sure the league office wouldn't have a problem with that. After all, both teams are just trying to improve their chances of winning! :-D

Players belong to ONE TEAM in the NFL and in fantasy football. You can't loan/borrow players and just call it "trading and trading back." Each team must maximize its own starting lineup each week. You can't pool players and fluidly move them around between two teams to maximize both lineups each week. That is absolutely collusion and is absolutely cheating, no matter how much anyone disagrees or argues about it.

Lots of good answers here but I liked this one the best.

It is cheating because, even though it doesn't appear to benefit 1 team over another, it does benefit 2 teams over 10 others. Shouldn't be allowed.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Flyn high again » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:47 pm

Felix the Cat wrote:So does it only count if it's EXACTLY the same trade each time? So if team A trades Jeff Garcia, Brandon Jacobs, and John Carney to team B, and then receives back the next week Jeff Garcia, Brandon Jacobs, and Morten Andersen by prior arrangement, that would be legal?

What if it's a 3-way arrangement?

What if the trade I described in my last post was by prior arrangement?

That's the thing. There's all of these possibilities. It would be virtually impossible to write a rule to prevent it without also preventing legitimate transactions. Since one-week trades are very rare, it's not worth it.

I doubt if you would ever see a trade such as you mention. Who in their right mind would trade 5 or 6 players back and forth in a one week trade?

My point was that adding a rule would end the controversy over the cheating/not cheating aspect of such trades. The rule can be as simple or as complex as a league/FF website wants to make it.

It's not "virtually impossible" to write a rule to cover one week trades. It's actually rather simple. You don't have to cover every remote trade possibility. You only have to address the one week trades that are usually made. Player A for Player B and then Player B for Player A or Player A for Player B and then Player C for Player A or B. These two cases would cover 99% of all one week trades.

Keep it simple:

One week trades where Player A is traded for Player B and then Player B is traded back for Player A are not allowed. One week trades where Player A is traded for Player B and then Player A or B is traded back to the same owner for Player C are not allowed.

Simple and everyone could live with it. There'd be a lot less controversy on this subject if a rule such as this was added. So what if a team has an injury and wants their old player back. The rule would be right there in black and white so too bad for them. They can find another alternative.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk