GC: Redskins vs Patriots [Week 8] - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

GC: Redskins vs Patriots [Week 8]

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: GC: Redskins vs Patriots [Week 8]

Postby Guru13 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:05 pm

just to clarify; I don't care that put up a ton of points and it wasn't even close, frankly I don't give a rip about that, what I disagree with is the fashion in which it was done, being up 38-0 in the 4th quarter of a game that is obviously over, run the ball, run out the clock, don't throw a 35 yard bomb to Randy Moss, as mentioned, that's just classless. And also, I never wished injury on anyone, as mentioned, I don't want Brady or anyone else to blow out a knee, or be out for any extended period of time, but I'd love to see Brady get his clock cleaned when he throws one of those 35 yard passes up by 38, just as I wanna see Brian Leonard get his clock cleaned when he does one of his leaps over a defender (has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he's showing someone up, because I don't beleive that's the case, I just wanna see it), it's not like I'm being strictly particular to the Patriots when I get a bit cruel. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GoFaulkYourself » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:07 pm

mcmill3 wrote:They've been running up the score for several weeks now, all for a TD record Brady will get. I would rather see Manning keep the record - as he did it the hard way. brady is no doubt a stud, but to continue throwing for scores when up by 25, 30, 35, 40 is ridiculous.

I might even place a asterisk next to it in the record books.

People like you need to shut the hell up. Quit your crying about the Pats running up the score. This is the NFL, and the Patriots are playing the game amazingly well. If the opposing team can't keep up with or stop the Patriots, too faulkin bad for them. Brady has practically ended the game by halftime. He continues to play well and pass because he is playing the game. He isn't going to take pity on another NFL team just because they can't do as well. The only reason he should sit is because the game is won and we don't want him hurt. No team should sit their starting QB just to show sympathy, grow up, this is pro football, there are no mercy rules.
Boston sports fan
My First Sig XD
GoFaulkYourself
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby DVauthrin » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:31 pm

jcde7ago wrote:
Said this before, but i guess no one wanted to argue with some sort of rebuttal. So here it is again:

Honestly, for a game with such a "tough" attitude/mentality as football...too many people like to whine and cry when a team is blowing out another team.

Teams and players practice hard to do EXACTLY this to opposing teams...to tear them apart and win the football game. I am so sick of seeing the "OMG SO AND SO IS STILL PASSING OH LAWD!!!". Yes, i see the logic now. Brady must be thinking, "hmm well, since you guys can't stop me and that's not my fault, let me just GO SIT DOWN". Honestly if i were Brady, i'd be taking clear advantage of this opportunity and MAKE THE OTHER DEFENSE BEAT ME. If they can't, why is it MY fault if i continue playing, and why should i have to sit? Cause i am too good? Give me a break. Football players are paid MILLIONS to do their jobs, and so is Brady. If the Pats want to continue to play their starters and some injuries should happen, well guess what that's their fault. But its ridiculous to bash a team for "running up the score". You feel sorry for the 'skins now cause they can't muster up anything on either side of the ball...and so in turn, that somehow becomes the fault of the Patriots? Jeeze...where has football gone to?

No, what you're looking for is MERCY. This is football...like was said earlier, you're not trying to make sure you don't hurt the other teams feelings.

Integrity, sure, that has a role. The Pats are the bulls eye of the league, and look at the statement they've been making every week. Let's say last year Washington and NE played. Washington crushed them 49 - 3. And this year, New England was a 1-6 football team, and Washington was a 7-0 team. And NE is beating them just as they are now, 45-0. How much crap would be hearing? I am pretty sure, not so much. Because people would just say "oh it's ok because they're getting revenge" or "it's ok because a sucky team is actually taking it to a much, much better team".

The fact is, people always find excuses. Are they running up the score? Yes, i suppose so. Should we look down on it and then proceed to even wish INJURY to players of the winning team? Absolutely not. Again, Brady and the Pats are doing their job, and Washington isn't doing theirs. Simple as that. To make this blowout somehow more about how class-less of a team the Pats are instead of what a piss-poor job Washington did is ridiculous. New England did what they had to do is a team. Regardless of how you put it, they are completely not at fault here. People need to grow up and stop whining....it's FOOTBALL FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. Go back to little-league if you want the mercy rule.

You seem to have this erroneous idea that because it's FOOTBALL, it makes running up the score acceptable when it wouldn't be in other sports. Get real, it's no more important or different than any other major sport. Football doesn't deserve special treatment in this regard. And yes if it was 1-6 NE, leaving tom brady in to run up the score it would only be acceptable if it was payback for washington doing it in your hypothetical scenario the year before. The biggest reason has to do with unneeded potential injury but it also has to do with respect for your opponent.

Of course washington sucked and deserved this butt whooping via their effort, but no team worth anything keeps their best players in with the game the way it was in the 2nd half nor should they. I'll admit somebody should stop this offense, but at the same time, the patriots know when enough is enough and they cross the line every week it seems. For some odd reason, people defend it. It would be the equivalent of defending someone who stole 2nd base with their team leading 20-0 in the 9th inning. Or someone who goes for a slam dunk with seconds left with their team up by 50. As far as injury stuff goes, all i'd want is something similar to a HBP in retaliation in baseball. I never called for a serious injury to anyone. Wanting freeney to knock the crap out of brady is just saying give him some pain/punishment that others can't seem to dish out in the flow of the game. not to intentionally hurt the guy.

Anyways, back to NE, they could better use mop up time to prepare cassel and the backups to be ready in case of the worst case scenario, but instead they prefer to piss off every team in the league. It will come back to bite them in the butt.
Last edited by DVauthrin on Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VY fan for life
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GoFaulkYourself » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:42 pm

DVauthrin wrote:You seem to have this erroneous idea that because it's FOOTBALL, it makes running up the score acceptable when it wouldn't be in other sports. Get real, it's no more important or different than any other major sport. Football doesn't deserve special treatment in this regard.

Not the fact that it's FOOTBALL, but it's 2 pro football teams going head to head. If other teams want to cry about being beat so much, then they shouldn't be playing pro football.

It feels weird having to somewhat defend a team that is undefeated and arguably the best NFL team in history, btw.
Boston sports fan
My First Sig XD
GoFaulkYourself
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:51 pm

It is what it is, Belichick hasnt been called a jerk, and classless a few times, almost everyone they play admits to it, and its pretty well known...Why do you think Joe Gibbs, a HOF coach and well respected guy walked off the field at the end of the game without shaking hands, the Patiots have no class, they line up 5 wide with Brady in and still throw all over the field up by 50 points in the 4th qt, they do it ever week, and Pats fans shouldnt even argue otherwise about Belichick being anything other then classless
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby jpowers » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:58 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:just to clarify; I don't care that put up a ton of points and it wasn't even close, frankly I don't give a rip about that, what I disagree with is the fashion in which it was done, being up 38-0 in the 4th quarter of a game that is obviously over, run the ball, run out the clock, don't throw a 35 yard bomb to Randy Moss, as mentioned, that's just classless. And also, I never wished injury on anyone, as mentioned, I don't want Brady or anyone else to blow out a knee, or be out for any extended period of time, but I'd love to see Brady get his clock cleaned when he throws one of those 35 yard passes up by 38, just as I wanna see Brian Leonard get his clock cleaned when he does one of his leaps over a defender (has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he's showing someone up, because I don't beleive that's the case, I just wanna see it), it's not like I'm being strictly particular to the Patriots when I get a bit cruel. :-b

I usually don't want to agree with a cheesehead...but I like the way you think.
jpowers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby zevon » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:18 pm

OK , so I'll admit it, I do feel sorry for the teams that the Pat's trash each week.
It's usually on Monday morning when I'm packing a baloney and cheese sandwich for lunch and I'm thinking about the previous day's game. Tomorrow I'll be like "Wow, I sure hope all those guys from Washington who make more in one friggin season playing a game I used to be pretty damn good at than I will in my entire lifetime are OK today."
Darn those mean old Patriots, humiliating that poor other team.
I hope they beat the Colts by 50 next week, not only so I can laugh at the predictable whining but so there can be no doubt whatsoever as to who is the most dominating team most of you have ever seen.
Also, it'd be pretty cool to beat the Colts by 50. :-b

If Brady or another star gets hurt because some classless coach has a lackey take them out because they just can't stand the humilliation, so be it. Hope they can look in the mirror the next day, but I mostly hope it doesn't happen.And anyone who condones this kind of thing and wants to say "well it's because of the classless Belichick and the classless way the Pats play", well, I think it clearly shows who has no "class".
zevon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:13 pm

[rant]

Would all the people defending the Patriots please take a moment to look around and see who else is on your side? I just finished reading this entire thread, and the only people trying to defend the Pats are, coincidentally, Patriots fans.

I understand why the Patriots are running up the score. They're pissed off that everyone jumped on the chance to call them cheaters and call their dynasty into doubt. I understand the urge for the Patriots to destroy every team they play and show how much better they are than everyone else to shut everyone up. I have read the Bill Simmons column about the "Eff you touchdown," and I, along with many other football fans watched as players, coaches, and fans alike called into question everything Belichik had accomplished because of "Cameragate." The Pats have the right, and the motivation, to run up the score on anyone they please. But if they choose to do that, they; and by they, I mean the Patriots' coaches, players, and fans; need to be able to handle the resulting actions.

To be honest, I support the Patriots... to an extent. Going for it on 4th and 1 in the red zone up by 38? Fine, I understand the reasoning behind that. What exactly is kicking a field goal going to do? Put them up by 41 as opposed to 38? Going for it gave them the chance to run some more time off the clock before giving it back to the Skins. However, I don't really understand the need to be throwing deep when already up by 35+ points. What good is that going to do? Okay, so you show how much better than the Skins you are, but what happens if Sean Taylor decks Randy Moss or Wes Welker and gives them a concussion? What if Andre Carter hits Tom Brady's knee the wrong way and Brady goes on teh shelf for the rest of the year? I'm sorry, but running up the score is completely illogical. Sure, all these potential scenarios are unlikely, but why take the chance? Players' careers can be ruined by one hit on one play. Look at Daunte Culpepper.

And if the Pats and their fans want to keep running up the score, they have to be able to deal with the heaping pile of criticism that will be dished out at them. When you're throwing the ball 35 yards down the field up by 35+ points, you're going to get criticized. It isn't like the Patriots have a horrible running back; Maroney is a former first round pick and averaged over 5 yards per carry in that game. How the hell, in a rout, does he only get 14 carries? I don't care how many carries the Patriots had collectively, they were up by 24 points at halftime and by 31 within the first 7 minutes of the 3rd quarter. At that point, Brady's passing should have been limited, both in number and in length, and Maroney should've been given carries. Had that happened, the game would've ended earlier and both teams could've gone home and avoided potential injuries and conflicts. Instead, the Patriots decide, "hey, let's pointlessly throw the ball down the field in hopes of scoring more unnecessary points in order to completely humiliate our opponent and cause the entire league to hate us and bring no good upon ourselves except the mass media declaring us the best team in the NFL by far and inflating our already massive egos to the point where any team that can play with us will most likely beat us."

Patriots fans, let me ask you something: how many times this season has a team scored more than 50 points? Only twice: the Pats today and the Browns in week 2 against Cincinnati. Why do you think it almost never happens? Because teams almost never have to score 50 points to keep pace with their opponent. Cleveland-Cincinnati was a unique case because neither team fields a set of 11 players that could be considered a defense. The Patriots did this to a good defense, and although I give them credit for scoring 52 points on the Redskins because it shows their ability to score at will, they did nothing but cause embarassment to every Redskins coach, player, and fan. And what good will come out of that? Everyone has already lauded the Patriots as the best team in the NFL history, and Tom Brady is going to shatter Peyton Manning's single-season touchdown record. Aren't those the only two things the Patriots can get from running up the score given their complete ignorance of the running game?

If the Patriots want to keep running up the score, and the fans keep supporting running up the score, then don't expect anyone to feel any sympathy if Brady, Moss, Welker, Stallworth, or anyone else gets injured, especially if its in the second half of a rout. And don't be surprised if someone takes a cheap shot at Tom Brady late in a rout if he's still in. It would be a cheap shot, but the Pats will have brought it upon themselves. You have your "Eff you touchdown," and the rest of the league has the "Eff you cheap shot for running up the score."

[/rant]
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby portisfan24 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:17 pm

Wow, there is so much ignorance in this thread that I could make this post 10, 000 words long, but I'll hold back.

1) All this talk about other teams thinking the Pats have no class for running up the score, has anyone actually seen another player say that? I know they have been called classless for the videotaping and thats a whole other story, but when has anyone said "oh look at the Patritos scorin gall those points, how classless?"

2) When was the last time a team pulled their starters before the 4th quarter? I haven't seen a single team pull anyone in the third quarter in recent memory. But of course the big bad Patriots should because they are just big jerks.

3) The "the game was over" argument is also pretty stupid. If that is the case Washington should be pulling their starters as well, if the game is over. They are risking injury as well are they not?

4) The fouth down play. I didn't see the game but I'll assume it was 4th and short. Has anyone thought that maybe its just good to practice that kind of play in a game situation, against the leagues previously 5th ranked defense?

5) Whoever said they were putting an asterisk next to the TD record if Brady gets it is totally clueless. Didn't Brady rush for 2 TD's today? I'm sure if he cared about the record that much he wouldn't be running it into the endzone at all. And if I recall when Manning broke the record there was a lot of griping about how many TD passes he threw from the 1 yard line, so apparently with great success comes a band of morons bashing them.

6) "They should run the ball at the end of the game" Why? You run the ball to eat up clock and close out the game. Isn't scoring a much easier way to win the game? The Pats gameplan is to throw the ball, why change the gameplan? And don't give me the whole have respect for our opponent crap. These are grown men who have all been on both sides of a game like this many times, I am sure they can handle it. If they don't like it there is a pretty easy solution: stop them!

So in conclusion, please stop crying about the Patriots scoring a lot of points. It is getting tiresome and frankly it just makes you look like a total whiner.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mattp987 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:25 pm

From an entertainment stand point, i would rather have Brady throwing long bombs when they are up 35 to 0...it's exciting and isn't that the reason we watch football? I know that is why i watch it, because it's exciting. I enjoy watching big plays. I'll take a big play any day over a series of 3 or 4 yard runs.

I don't think there is anything "classless" about it...a team is dominating, plain and simple. Someone stops them, or they don't.

There are guys that go out every week and play with as much effort as Tom Brady does, the difference is they just aren't as good and they are not on a team that is built like the Patriots. I don't see what the big deal is...in all honesty, i think people are just bickering about the Pats "running up the score" because:

A-They do not have Tom Brady on their fantasy football team
B- They know that it is going to be hard to win in their league if Brady continues to do what he is doing.

Brady is a gamer...the guy has been a beast since he was at Michigan. The Patriots look amazing thus far, we can only wait and see if Indy can stop them or not.
Props to anx2a77 for the sig
mattp987
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting