Is Martz a goner? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Is Martz a goner?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Martz a goner?

Postby moochman » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:51 pm

Have we seen a changing in the philosophy offensively? We are making an effort to run and are winning ugly as a result. Is this a result of Martz just seeing what KJ has and Kitna being off his game, or is this a new directive from the former D-line coach who might try his hand at coaching both sides of the ball? If Marinelli is telling Martz he needs to run more is he paving the way for Martz to exit at the end of the season?
I think so, but don't even know how I feel about it. Martz is a goofy sumbirch fer sure, but his Os can score. I shudder to think of what relative Marinelli has that he can hire as the next OC. Heck maybe have Joe Cullen do it. It would certainly put a different twist on the naked bootleg O:-)

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Is Martz a goner?

Postby LT Blue Colt » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:05 pm

I think, and hope, Marinelli and Martz have sat down and talked that if they are going to keep passing, teams need to know they can run too. And get Kitna sacked a lot less too. And I know if they want to beat Denver next week they are going to need to get a decent run going. I have to admit, I really enjoyed seeing a 100+ yard rush against Chicago. Especially with Chicago's D line in good shape, and Urlacher and Briggs in there too. I think if the Lions can get a few of those under their belt, then we can see some 300+ passing yards come out of Martz system. At least one playoff win, here we come!!!!!!!
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:40 pm

My guess is that for what Martz wants to do with his passing game, they need to have a threat of a run. By running often the past 2 games...and probably this week as well (DEN is very bad), they are showing team that they need to be ready for the run...as soon as teams start bringing in that extra defender you will see the fireworks again.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:11 am

Looking back on things Mooch you were calling it early. If i was to put money on it now i would lay down my house he wont be here next year... Not sure how i feel about it cause Im not sure how much is really his fault. I mean passing 90% of the time is his fault but who knows.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby moochman » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:29 am

It's Martz fault for one reason only: He isn't producing. In this league when you produce you can be as big a jerk as you want (unless the GM is an idiot and wants his friend to have your job-see Marty Schottenheimer[sp]). But when you are the genious who created the greatest show on turf and the bulk of your offence is between the 20s you are done. The mandates to run KJ more and use CJ on Turdsgiving (Lions + Thanksgiving) are at least partially meant to create the environment whereby Martz wants to leave. This is done so we can lose a top OC without looking as being the ones who wanted him to leave.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:46 pm

Yeah i agree with that Mooch. But what happens if he doesnt go anywhere. I mean im not saying that none of it is Martz fault but Kitna is a bigger problem than Martz i think. Put Brett Favre on our team and we would be better than the Packers id bet. Well maybe not but you get the point. If Martz leaves then do we abandon the west coast O?? Or what? Does everyone need to learn a whole new playbook?? God this sucks. EVERYTHING comes down to crap drafting. ALL of it.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:34 am

latsprewell20002000 wrote:Yeah i agree with that Mooch. But what happens if he doesnt go anywhere. I mean im not saying that none of it is Martz fault but Kitna is a bigger problem than Martz i think. Put Brett Favre on our team and we would be better than the Packers id bet. Well maybe not but you get the point. If Martz leaves then do we abandon the west coast O?? Or what? Does everyone need to learn a whole new playbook?? God this sucks. EVERYTHING comes down to crap drafting. ALL of it.

First let's understand one thing: the Packers have a lot more solid a team than we do. Pure and simple. In fact, a case can be made the the Packers are better at every position grouping than the Lions are.
QBs? Next question.
RB. I like the way Grant is running better than what I see from KJ, and I think the Pack has more depth in Morency and Jackson. But I will concede a push if anyone wants to say that KJ, Duckett and Cason are better.
TE-Packers have 2 good ones we have none.
WR-Sorry, but I'll take the production of Driver, Jennings, and Jones over the potential of Roy, Cal, and McFurrey. Again would agree to concede to a push here.
OL-Packers OL much better than Lions and improving.
DL-Packers way better than Lions. They play every week and produce.
LB-Packers LBs are really good. Sims is the only one that might earn a spot in GB.
CB/S-Packers have talent there as well, we don't need talent. (according to Rod)
K-Hanson is better than Crosby, but in two years Hanson will be a ghost.
Coaching-Packers coached by no-nonsense smash mouth guy who has his O humming. Lions coached by a no-nonsense, smash mouth guy with a high priced guru who cannot score TDs.

Wow, that didn't help my perspective on my Leos one bit. But I think I sucessfully refuted your claim, Spree.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:21 pm

wow i cant believe i was the one that said that. I come to this thread to see that i wrote something like that??? Damn, i was maybe drinking or something im not sure. But i know that i know the Pack ARE better at every position. :-t
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Detroit Lions