OFFICIAL CAFE Top 25 Week 3 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

OFFICIAL CAFE Top 25 Week 3

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: OFFICIAL CAFE Top 25 Week 3

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:47 pm

CC wrote:Statsman, I am still blown away by 3 loss Auburn and 3 loss Florida above undefeated OSU and BC.
I know that you are just going to say "I think they will win on a neutral field" but this is starting to get a bit ridiculous. Do the actual games mean nothing to you?

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner!! I'm the one supposedly on crack yet 3-loss teams barely clearing a .600 winning percentage should be top10 teams. Ya, that makes sense. ;-7

I'll be glad to endorse any changes to may rankings when someone can point out where my logic is flawed. I guarantee I can either back up my rankings with a schedule comparison or logic comparison (win/loss v. opponents win/loss, opponents rankings, etc.).
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:09 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:I'll be glad to endorse any changes to may rankings when someone can point out where my logic is flawed. I guarantee I can either back up my rankings with a schedule comparison or logic comparison (win/loss v. opponents win/loss, opponents rankings, etc.).

Your top 4 teams have played 1 ranked team combined between the four of them, so that bolded part above should be interesting. A handful of the teams around them played more ranked teams, by themselves, in a 1-week span than those 4 teams have played all season combined. You read that right, more ranked teams in your pick of several 2-game spans than those 4 have played in their 28-game span.

Do you not find it the least bit odd that the 5 undefeated teams in the top 25 have far and away the 5 easiest schedules thusfar of the top 25 teams? If that's just coincidence then with those odds, it's time to hit the lotto.

And please don't tell me you said you wanted to bring opponent's win/loss into this. This isn't the NFL, and Western Kentucky is not a tougher game than Auburn.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:22 pm

I definetly think UF and Auburn are too high in Stats list. I mean he has UF over Georgia who just beat UF on a neutral field.

I also think that BC, ASU, and Kansas are too high on Huskers list. BC has played no one but VT and should have lost that game and VT's offense is terrible. Kansas hasn't played anyone IMO that is any good. ASU is a good team, but I think until they beat Oregon I could not put them that high.

I think South Florida is too high on Knapps list. I watch all their games and they just are not that good. They matched up well against WVU and caught Auburn in a bad game and thats it. I think they lose this week to cincy and next week to lou.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby statsman88 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:08 pm

For the record, Last week Florida was #2 and Georgia was #18 on my list, this week Florida is #6 and Georgia is #11 (and actually come to think of it, I probably shoulda put them at 10). I did watch alot of the game last week (admittedly I didn't watch all of it), but I do know that Tebow was not at full stregnth, but after some consideration after submitting my rankings, I might have overrated Florida a bit, but I still don't see OSU being able to beat Florida. And Auburn has really played well this season minus the first couple weeks, I won't apologize for that ranking at #5. Really the only undefeated team that has impressed me so far is AZ St and I'm excited to see what happens when they play Oregon this weekend.
statsman88
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby statsman88 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:16 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
CC wrote:Statsman, I am still blown away by 3 loss Auburn and 3 loss Florida above undefeated OSU and BC.
I know that you are just going to say "I think they will win on a neutral field" but this is starting to get a bit ridiculous. Do the actual games mean nothing to you?

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner!! I'm the one supposedly on crack yet 3-loss teams barely clearing a .600 winning percentage should be top10 teams. Ya, that makes sense. ;-7

I'll be glad to endorse any changes to may rankings when someone can point out where my logic is flawed. I guarantee I can either back up my rankings with a schedule comparison or logic comparison (win/loss v. opponents win/loss, opponents rankings, etc.).

Yep, I take crack religiously.

Husker, you are obviously one that relies a ton on records instead of play. There is no way in my right mind (which since I guess since I take crack I don't have a right mind) that Boston College could ever be #1. I've seen them a couple times this year (including VT last week which was terribly unimpressive) and they haven't played like a team that is a top 10 team, let alone the top team. And Purdue at 22 makes me a bit uneasy, they would get smoked by any of the teams ranked in your 23-25 I guarantee it.

And I love how Michigan is a top 15 team now for pretty much everyone when they can't beat a div AA school, then they get to play absolutely NO ONE in the big 10, yet they are a top team again
statsman88
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby CC » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:08 pm

statsman88 wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:

Husker, you are obviously one that relies a ton on records instead of play. There is no way in my right mind (which since I guess since I take crack I don't have a right mind) that Boston College could ever be #1. I've seen them a couple times this year (including VT last week which was terribly unimpressive) and they haven't played like a team that is a top 10 team, let alone the top team. And Purdue at 22 makes me a bit uneasy, they would get smoked by any of the teams ranked in your 23-25 I guarantee it.

And I love how Michigan is a top 15 team now for pretty much everyone when they can't beat a div AA school, then they get to play absolutely NO ONE in the big 10, yet they are a top team again

Honestly, what would have to happen to Florida for you to drop them from your top 10? 50 point loss to Vanderbilt?
Michigan has won 7 games in a row, beating some decent teams like PSU and Illinois, this apparently is less of an accomplishment than losing 3 games.
Do wins and losses even factor into your rankings?
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby statsman88 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:15 pm

I admittedly overrated them a bit, but there is no way at this point in the season I'd rank them below Michigan. Wins against Kentucky, Tennessee and even Troy is more impressive to me than Illinois or Penn State
statsman88
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby ShoelessJoe » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:26 pm

Husker, why do you rank the major conference undefeated teams so high yet Hawaii so low?
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:28 pm

statsman88 wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:

Astute point statsman. Its not so much that I rely on records so much as I rely on FACT more than opinion. Anyone whas has seen how well I've done in our Yahoo Cafe pick-em contest can see that my opinion is rarely correct. I could say the same for many of the other players. The FACTs are indisputable though.
A couple of examples of how my FACT thinking has affected my rankings:

I'm reading from some how they were unimpressed by the VT win by BC. Yet those same people have VT ranked top15. So a win over a top15 team is not impressive. Just because they didnt win it til the end doesnt mean it counts as less of a win.

I do look at strenght of sched. I also beleive that the SEC is the toughest conference. However, I dont believe theres this wildly wide chasm between the SEC and every other conference. Cripes I swear theres people here who think Vanderbilt could waltz into any other major conference and win it just because they're an SEC team. No, 3 losses in the SEC doesnt impress me more than a team that is undefeated in other major conferences. 1 loss, I can buy into that argument/opinion a little better because I can understand the whole "didnt show up one game" type of excuse. 2-losses, and to me, that team is not necessarily the elite, but just one great team among other great teams deserving of a high ranking, but not deserving of a shot over a major conference team that has handled everything in its path. A few years ago I wouldve said the Big East is not deserving of major conference status. In those cases, like a Hawaii, I will not reward them like I would another team with identical proofs.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby statsman88 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:52 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
statsman88 wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:I'll be glad to endorse any changes to may rankings when someone can point out where my logic is flawed. I guarantee I can either back up my rankings with a schedule comparison or logic comparison (win/loss v. opponents win/loss, opponents rankings, etc.).

Astute point statsman. Its not so much that I rely on records so much as I rely on FACT more than opinion. Anyone whas has seen how well I've done in our Yahoo Cafe pick-em contest can see that my opinion is rarely correct. I could say the same for many of the other players. The FACTs are indisputable though.
A couple of examples of how my FACT thinking has affected my rankings:

I'm reading from some how they were unimpressed by the VT win by BC. Yet those same people have VT ranked top15. So a win over a top15 team is not impressive. Just because they didnt win it til the end doesnt mean it counts as less of a win.

I do look at strenght of sched. I also beleive that the SEC is the toughest conference. However, I dont believe theres this wildly wide chasm between the SEC and every other conference. Cripes I swear theres people here who think Vanderbilt could waltz into any other major conference and win it just because they're an SEC team. No, 3 losses in the SEC doesnt impress me more than a team that is undefeated in other major conferences. 1 loss, I can buy into that argument/opinion a little better because I can understand the whole "didnt show up one game" type of excuse. 2-losses, and to me, that team is not necessarily the elite, but just one great team among other great teams deserving of a high ranking, but not deserving of a shot over a major conference team that has handled everything in its path. A few years ago I wouldve said the Big East is not deserving of major conference status. In those cases, like a Hawaii, I will not reward them like I would another team with identical proofs.

I definetly don't think VT is that good, and I was surprised when some have them ranked in the top 10, so I agree with you that, I have VT @19

Were never gonna see eye-to-eye if you go by records and I go by who IMO are the best teams, but I will say that Purdue @ 22 with Auburn,Florida, South Carolina and Tennessee under them I cannot see. Purdue's best wins are against Iowa and Northwestern and they have 2 losses. Those 4 teams underneath Purdue are in the best conference and they all have at least 2 good wins.
statsman88
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to College Football