US Colleges - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

US Colleges

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: US Colleges

Postby treat24 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:18 am

pvt1863 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:4.0 is the best GPA attainable, but because we have Advanced Placement (AP) courses in high schools here in the States, it's possible to have a higher GPA than that. So, in regular courses an A would translate into a 4.0, but in AP courses, they would be a 5 and the scale goes down accordingly.

A lot of colleges recalculate your gpa without the AP/honors bonuses. The problem is that there is too much variation from high school to high school about what bonus you get. For example, at your school it looks like an A in an AP class is a 5, at mine an A in an AP class was a 4.8 and an A in an honors course was a 4.4.

In my school's case, this created an interesting and unfortunate drawback in that the kids competing for class ranking would only take AP electives and fill the rest of their schedule with study halls. They refused to take non-AP and non-honors electives because an A in one of those actually brought their GPA down. Luckily for me, my parents cared too much about my education and would not allow me to ever take a study hall just so I could have a shot at the top ranking.

my school had 17 valedictorians... annoying systems...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:46 am

treat24 wrote:my school had 17 valedictorians... annoying systems...

LOL. My graduating class had 22 valedictorians and 14 saluditorians. Every single one of them spoke at the graduation too, 5 minutes for the valedictorians and one minute for the saluditorians. It was agonizing.

Anyways, my high school had a nice system where they gave two GPAs. One weighted with honors/AP courses and one unweighted. Basically let the colleges sort out which one they wanted, lol.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Popcynical » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:46 pm

beanoX3 wrote:
treat24 wrote:my school had 17 valedictorians... annoying systems...

LOL. My graduating class had 22 valedictorians and 14 saluditorians. Every single one of them spoke at the graduation too, 5 minutes for the valedictorians and one minute for the saluditorians. It was agonizing.

Anyways, my high school had a nice system where they gave two GPAs. One weighted with honors/AP courses and one unweighted. Basically let the colleges sort out which one they wanted, lol.

Man I thought my service was bad, that had to have sucked!
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby suppasonic » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:44 pm

I go to Northwestern, so I can vouch for its awesomeness (and this is the first year they are giving financial aid to internationals).

However, there are plenty of good pre-med programs not in the top 25 or 50 of the US News rankings. Be warned: The rankings are very arbitrary, so they are good place to give you an idea where to start, but not make decisions.

You'll have to take the SAT most likely, and once you take that, you'll have a pretty good idea of where you stand. As long as you've done very well in all your classes you'll have a good shot.

You might have to think about cost, as private US colleges cost about $40,000 a year and some do not give aid to internationals. Look up some lesser ranked colleges that have good pre-med programs. An dont go anywhere in the midwest.
suppasonic
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:08 pm

Beware of schools' claims of being ranked in the US News issue. Some schools will make that a key selling point to prospective students, but they conveniently forget to mention that they're ranked 215th or something. :-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:16 am

As a current college student, I can tell you that being an international student will definitely lessen the competition a little. Schools are interested in all kinds of diversity, and you won't need quite the superb grades that some schools require coming from abroad. Some people who apply say that you should maybe not apply as a pre-med but rather as a different major like chemistry or something assuming that the pre-med program isn't a separate application or anything. Most schools don't require you to pick a major until 2nd year, so you can always just declare as premed. Pick a school in a location that interests you and a size you think fits you. You can get a great education at almost any college nowadays, it's all about how motivated you are once you get there. Pick a school that fits you instead of going for the absolute highest ranked schools or best pre-med programs. Chances are that you might change your major anyways, so going to a school with mediocre education but a good pre-med program isn't always your best bet. Look up some conversions for standardized tests, or shoot an e-mail to an admissions office asking how they view your standardized test. Usually they have a conversion chart.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Tiki » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:53 am

skibrett15 wrote:As a current college student, I can tell you that being an international student will definitely lessen the competition a little. Schools are interested in all kinds of diversity, and you won't need quite the superb grades that some schools require coming from abroad. Some people who apply say that you should maybe not apply as a pre-med but rather as a different major like chemistry or something assuming that the pre-med program isn't a separate application or anything. Most schools don't require you to pick a major until 2nd year, so you can always just declare as premed. Pick a school in a location that interests you and a size you think fits you. You can get a great education at almost any college nowadays, it's all about how motivated you are once you get there. Pick a school that fits you instead of going for the absolute highest ranked schools or best pre-med programs. Chances are that you might change your major anyways, so going to a school with mediocre education but a good pre-med program isn't always your best bet. Look up some conversions for standardized tests, or shoot an e-mail to an admissions office asking how they view your standardized test. Usually they have a conversion chart.

That's some solid advice! ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:55 pm

pvt1863 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:4.0 is the best GPA attainable, but because we have Advanced Placement (AP) courses in high schools here in the States, it's possible to have a higher GPA than that. So, in regular courses an A would translate into a 4.0, but in AP courses, they would be a 5 and the scale goes down accordingly.

A lot of colleges recalculate your gpa without the AP/honors bonuses. The problem is that there is too much variation from high school to high school about what bonus you get. For example, at your school it looks like an A in an AP class is a 5, at mine an A in an AP class was a 4.8 and an A in an honors course was a 4.4.

In my school's case, this created an interesting and unfortunate drawback in that the kids competing for class ranking would only take AP electives and fill the rest of their schedule with study halls. They refused to take non-AP and non-honors electives because an A in one of those actually brought their GPA down. Luckily for me, my parents cared too much about my education and would not allow me to ever take a study hall just so I could have a shot at the top ranking.

True, especially when the AP offerings differ from school to school. Not sure if colleges recalculated GPA back in my day (99-00), but I suppose these days that's the practice to level out the field a bit.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk