Let the smack talk begin! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Let the smack talk begin!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Let the smack talk begin!

Postby scrumtalecent » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:40 am

After years of horrible teams and my resulting apathy for the Lions, they have finally put a decent team together and I'm back on the bandwagon. The Packer fans aren't exactly lighting up their forum over there, and until this week, there hadn't been a post since the middle of September. I just let them know I'm looking forward to the game against the Pack and predicted a win on Thanksgiving. I can't be sure yet the Lions are the contenders the Pack possibly are, but at least Detroit didn't let the vaunted (for packer fans...vaunted=boasted about or praised in an ostentatious way) Brian Griese march down the field on them and take away a win. It'll be a hell of a game and the Lions are coming away with the victory.

Go Lions!
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Let the smack talk begin!

Postby moochman » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:43 am

You're getting way ahead of yourself dude. You have to remember at times like this to think of "What would Rod do?" Using a WWRD mentality clearly shows that you need look only at today's game, one snap at a time! Pound the rock, get good pad level, one play at a time. Throw in any other Rodism as needed. Plenty of time for turkey when turkey time gets here. First we need to kick a$$, er make that Bronco.

On the other hand, it's just a bunch of cheeseheads. So rip away! Favre will be back to his INT throwing ways by the time Thanksgiving rolls around.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:48 pm

See. Way ahead of yourself. We go to Arizona in what i think was a must win. Run the ball 8 times for negative 500 yards. Everyone gets injured, and nobody believes in them anymore. What a difference a week can make. I, myself on the other hand KNOW better by now. This team does this to everyone. Gives you just enough to make you think "hey maybe they can do something." NO they cant. If they cant go in and beat a bad Arizona team with a one armed QB then how can you expect them to beat the Giants, Green Bay, Minn, KC, Dallas, San Diego, or Green bay again?????? You cant! Its as simple as that. Im not sure if i will ever have faith in Martz again. I have been watching football for a long time and that was one of the worst that I have ever seen. Millens F ups have only started to effect this team. We dont have the talent to compete with even average teams. We just dont. Any time you have someone as bad as Foster on the O line then you know your talent is in question. That guy is an absolute joke. Next week we get to see Strahan destroy him all day. The worst case senario at this point is that we do make the playoffs and dont get a draft pick. I mean what happens after next year when Roy is a free agent?? Do you pay him?? Calvin they gave him big dollars so hes gonna have to be the main guy in not too long. Who is going to be the quarter back? I just dont see this getting any better anytime soon. We havent played against any good quarter backs or wide receivers yet. You could actually say the best receiever we have played against is Curtis. LOL. When we did play some average QBs with Washington and Phily we got fried. Its sad that everyone bought into this debacle. If they lose this week then the wheels are going to fall completely off. :-t :-t :-t
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:57 pm

Lat, I can so totally feel where you are coming from with that post. Good effort summing up the summary frustration NFL fans get.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby moochman » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:10 am

Spree, Spree, Spree.
When you are right, you are right. All of the Lions weaknesses were exposed by a less than team in the Cards. We've been winning these ugly games and now that we've lost one all hope is too easily let go of. Hey, it's the NFL and anyone can win on any given Sunday, right? The problem is that we only have two patsies left on the sched, and one of them is a Viking team that we haven't beaten in their house since before Bud Grant walked the sidelines. (Bud Grant was an early American explorer who when traveling with Lewis & Clark discovered a bunch of drunken Norsemen stuck on a frozen Lake Minnietonka. He threw helmets on them, told them to leave the sheep alone and called them Vikings)
I could see the Lions winning two at most the rest of the way and an 8-8 record will probably not be good enough for the play-offs. It will be herlalded as a sucessful, corner-turning season by the press, but like you pointed out there only so many more time Kitna will be able to saddle up and Martz is already wearing thin. He is the king of gimmacks and his style doesn't mesh with pound the rock Rod's. If he is here next season it will only be becuase we stank so much down the stretch that nobody would want him.
I am really worried about CJ2. We hear all about how strong he is and how fast he is, and we can see how big he is. So why can't he ever get any seperation from CBs? Why doesn't Roy? We need to hire a WR coach to teach these guys how to get off the line of scrimmage, methinks.

For the record I think we will surprise the Pack on Thanksgiving and beat the Vikes and Chiefs to finish 9-7.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scrumtalecent » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:35 am

Latsprewell, nice job listening to the talk radio show on the way home. They were saying the exact same thing verbatim and you regurgitated it nicely for the forum.

One of the actual positive callers said it best when he asked what record the Lions were supposed to have against these weak teams. 9-0? 8-1? Of course the Lions aren't that good. Yes, they have a lot of holes. Take them for what they are and right now, and for at least the next few games, they are a team with a winning record. You think just because the Lions are not an "elite team" (how many of you didn't know that was just coach speak trying to change their mindset?), does not mean they cannot beat some of the better teams out there. Dallas had something on the line last year and the Lions fought back and beat them to take them to 3 wins for the year.

We watch these games for entertainment purposes only. If the Lions plan on screwing up the next 50 years too, then that's too bad. For now, allow yourself to be entertained by a decent football team for at least 4 of the last 7 games because that's how many they will win. If you don't want to be a fan, like myself for the last 10 years, then don't be a fan and don't "buy in" to this currently winning football team. For now, I'm allowing myself to buy in to this "debacle" because, well, I damn well feel like it.
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:06 am

scrumtalecent wrote:We watch these games for entertainment purposes only. If the Lions plan on screwing up the next 50 years too, then that's too bad. For now, allow yourself to be entertained by a decent football team for at least 4 of the last 7 games because that's how many they will win. If you don't want to be a fan, like myself for the last 10 years, then don't be a fan and don't "buy in" to this currently winning football team. For now, I'm allowing myself to buy in to this "debacle" because, well, I damn well feel like it.

That is the crux of many of out aingst: We feel that the Lions 6-2 record was a bit of a mirage but long so much for a winner that we buy in to the hype. Yes they are 6-3, but without a good win in the bunch. And now we fear the possiblity of going 2-6 in the second half and quite possibly look as bad as ever.
As for being a 'fan', don't worry about the quality of the fan. It is not your place to question the loyalty of another, just your own.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scrumtalecent » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:08 pm

I'm not questioning the loyalty of his fandom. I simply took offense to the "sad that everyone bought into this debacle" comment. Why is that sad? Why is it crazy to think hopeful thoughts about what may quite possibly be a bad football team. Check out Santa Cruzer's post a couple posts over. You think he's selling his tickets after a bad game or no longer looking forward to Sundays? No one says they're going to the Super Bowl anytime soon. I'm just hoping they do well in the second half. I wasn't kicking him off the bandwagon I'm sure he's not on anyway. I'm just saying if wants to be a fan of the team and enjoy it, do so. If not, than that leaves more playoff tickets for me ;-D
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:21 am

Fair enough, my misunderstanding.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:15 pm

scrumtalecent wrote:I'm not questioning the loyalty of his fandom. I simply took offense to the "sad that everyone bought into this debacle" comment. Why is that sad? Why is it crazy to think hopeful thoughts about what may quite possibly be a bad football team. Check out Santa Cruzer's post a couple posts over. You think he's selling his tickets after a bad game or no longer looking forward to Sundays? No one says they're going to the Super Bowl anytime soon. I'm just hoping they do well in the second half. I wasn't kicking him off the bandwagon I'm sure he's not on anyway. I'm just saying if wants to be a fan of the team and enjoy it, do so. If not, than that leaves more playoff tickets for me ;-D

I'm the one with the tickets ;-) :-b
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Next

Return to Detroit Lions