2007 NFL Week 9 Barometer - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Article Discussions

2007 NFL Week 9 Barometer

Moderators: daullaz, Football Moderators

2007 NFL Week 9 Barometer

Postby WebHamster » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:18 pm

This thread contains comments on the Cafe's "2007 NFL Week 9 Barometer", which was posted in the Cafe's Player Rankings section by Scott Fish on November 1, 2007. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

Pick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 204)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2007 NFL Week 9 Barometer

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:20 pm

Good work guys. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CRWeaks23 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:32 pm

While I agree that the Giants did very little to help themselves against Miami, there should be a little more emphasis placed on the sloppy conditions they were playing on. Not a SINGLE PLAYER on that field looked good. The only thing you can is that the Giants should have been running the ball when they were up by 10, not throwing incomplete passes. That's bad play calling - which I agree should be factored into ratings - but it's not enough in my opinion to knock them down a notch. A W is a W, and they've still won 6 in a row.
CRWeaks23
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:35 pm

CRWeaks23 wrote:there should be a little more emphasis placed on the sloppy conditions they were playing on. Not a SINGLE PLAYER on that field looked good.

I agree the field conditions were horrible. Seemed the guys were constantly switching out cleats trying to get any kind of traction at all. The London fans booing as they kneeled to run the clock out at the end of the game was a bit interesting too. I understand they wanted more action, but running out the clock and ending the game was the right move. :-D

Nice job everyone and thanks to all who contributed and helped with this article! ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby treat24 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:01 am

CRWeaks23 wrote:While I agree that the Giants did very little to help themselves against Miami, there should be a little more emphasis placed on the sloppy conditions they were playing on. Not a SINGLE PLAYER on that field looked good. The only thing you can is that the Giants should have been running the ball when they were up by 10, not throwing incomplete passes. That's bad play calling - which I agree should be factored into ratings - but it's not enough in my opinion to knock them down a notch. A W is a W, and they've still won 6 in a row.

I agree. However, I don't believe they dropped a notch for a poorly played game that they won. Yes, a win is a win, but, they were leapfrogged by last week's #7 team San Diego. The Chargers just look more and more like contenders again. Right now I think #3-#7 are pretty interchangeable. San Diego is playing great football and the addition of Chambers has already proved to make them better. They just put up 35, 28, and 41 in their last 3 games. Tough not to rank them highly. :-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:11 pm

OK, I totally appreciate free discussion in the forums, but I think you should refrain from calling the Patriots classless in the barometer. It is not a universal opinion, and it gives the impression to outsiders that the entire cafe backs that opinion. Frankly I think it looks unprofessional.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:28 pm

portisfan24 wrote:OK, I totally appreciate free discussion in the forums, but I think you should refrain from calling the Patriots classless in the barometer. It is not a universal opinion, and it gives the impression to outsiders that the entire cafe backs that opinion. Frankly I think it looks unprofessional.

The whole cafe doesn't think Brad Childress should be fired yet I've put that in the Barometer a couple of times. I call the Bengals defenseless and they aren't the worst defense in the league. Maybe it was a bit of a low blow. However, when it is a weekly topic on ESPN and even former players like Steve Young are ashamed that we can't talk about how good the Patriots are because of what they are doing... you know that there is something rotten in state of Denmark. Steve Young last week said that it's sad state of affairs that we can't appreciate how truly good this team is because of what they are doing. (paraphrasing of course because it was on tv and I can't remember the quote verbatim) I spent 7 Barometer articles praising the Pats, saying they will probably go undefeated. Their team is truly amazing this year. Which is also a weekly discussion on ESPN. I can't sit back and ignore the other aspect of what they are doing on Sundays just so Patriots fans don't get offended. Why should I censor my writing to keep Patriots fans happy and not give a sentence or two about something that sports analysts are talking about and is a common discussion topic in the forums?

I read critical articles on other websites like CBSSportsline and Sporting News etc... If I disagree with something they say, I view it as the guy whose name is in the byline. That is why we make jokes about people like Funston, not typically the site the article is from. The name on the article is the guy that gets the heat. Bring it. I sincerely doubt that very many cafe outsiders are sitting reading that article thinking, "the Cafe is anti-Patriot." Truth is I'm not. I was a huge Patriots fan when they had Bledsoe/Glenn/Martin. I'm not as big anymore, I cheered for them in those 1st couple Superbowls. I just can't respect what they are doing right now. It was 38-0 at the end of the 3rd and Brady stayed in that game. Continuing to pass the ball instead of running out the clock. If it's 38-0 at that point, you sit your starters. If the Redskins score a couple touchdowns, put the starters back in and hold the lead. You don't continue to pile on.

The only possible problem with that statement, is that it might detract a Pats fan from joining our little community. For that, maybe I shouldn't be so harsh. As for being unprofessional? I'm not writing a news article here. There is no reason for me to write without bias or try to censor myself to make sure everyone is happy. That would lead to a very boring Barometer. I actually think that I don't add enough personality and opinions to it.

I actually wasn't given a guideline for how to write it and what crosses what lines. Maybe I have been doing it wrong for weeks. I guess maybe from now on I'll just try to post something positive and unfunny about every team. :-°
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:40 pm

portisfan24 wrote:OK, I totally appreciate free discussion in the forums, but I think you should refrain from calling the Patriots classless in the barometer. It is not a universal opinion, and it gives the impression to outsiders that the entire cafe backs that opinion. Frankly I think it looks unprofessional.

While I can understand what you are saying, it's one person's opinion. As is yours that you don't think they are classless. But you can't pretend for one second they have acted classy during recent events. To make a long story short, cheating and running up the score on many occasions now, well that can hardly be perceived as classy. As for the author's professionality goes, I will say I think treat's done a great job since taking over this project.

And shockingly enough, his is a pretty popular opinion outside of the Boston area. :-b To me, honestly, I wonder what your feelings on the perception of the Patriots would be without your allegiances.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:08 pm

man. the patriots just can't win for losing. they never get enough respect as winners of 3 out of 4 superbowls. then when they are running up the score on everyone to prove how great they are and that they don't need to cheat to win...people call it classless instead of greatness. poor guys.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:39 pm

I don't agree with Treat's comments in the article, but it is completely in his right to say what he said. That's why you write articles. To express your opinion. I think that if the Pats want to run up the score, then let them. It will come back to bite them if they run into an injury, but they have a point to prove and they are doing a great job at it.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Article Discussions