To trade, or not to trade...where do you guys stand? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

To trade, or not to trade...where do you guys stand?

Moderator: Football Moderators

To trade, or not to trade...where do you guys stand?

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:02 pm

Ok, im in a 14 team league with guys we all know and competitive, have done this league for some years now...And there are a few guys in the league who are ABSOLUTELY against trades...It doesnt matter what you send him, even if its really lopsided for him he rejects it, he doesnt send any trades out to anyone all season EVER, and when I finally asked him about it he just said "well trading isnt really my thing, I stick with who I drafted" and I was wondering are there any other people here who have the same stance...

Now not that its a horrible method, he is 4th right now in standings, usually consistently makes the playoffs, and he does draft well, but im trying to hear it from the other side for those who dont like 2 trade much...I trade more then anyone else in the entire league probably by double, and in my case I make alot trades that end up burning me in the end, but Im always shopping players, for instance Lamont Jordan...Started the year on fire and one of the best backs, but knowing his injury problems, and Rhodes was coming back, if i owned him I would of been quick to trade him for a superstar rb that was slumping at the time, and looking at Jordan now he's not doing the same and he's splitting carries, I just feel like its so many ways to improve your team, I try to pursue whatever I can to make it happen...My roster is almost a complete turnaround of what I drafted, but guys who kept the same teams are still in the hunt, but just against the trading idea...any guys in your leagues who feel this way about trades let me know how they feel
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: To trade, or not to trade...where do you guys stand?

Postby uncabomb » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:17 pm

i'm just like you. i like to trade a lot. i like to capitalize on good games and bad games and trends that i know that someone else may not know of. i think its just the next step of becoming a good fantasy football player; knowing when to cut your ties with a work horse bc you can capitaize. It sounds like a pride thing to me but its stupid not to sell high, or trade a beast bc your playoff schedule with that player is horrible. I for one, plan on riding kj's stats to a great trade and capitalize mainly due to the fact that the rest of his schedule is like going up against a brick wall. i drafted him and sat on him but theres no reason why i couldn't capitalize on his production.
i guess his reasoning is that he wouldn't have drafted them unless he didn't think they could perform but at the same time, you never get everyone you want in a draft so i have no idea why. It could be as simple as he's not a big risk kind of guy bc he doesn't wanna regret anything
uncabomb
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby FatFoot » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:29 pm

I'm a big fan of trades, but yeah, my leagues suck for them. I managed Lee Evans for DJax way back around week 3 or so (wasn't planning on starting either any time soon) and traded Bowe for Jamal Lewis (also just for bench depth) and haven't regretted either, honestly. But yeah, my suspicion is that owners who do their homework and pay attention, like trades, whereas those who just draft and float through the year don't trade, for fear of making a mistake.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby fantasynewbie7 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:54 pm

I'm the same as you LS2, I'm constantly trading and my team barely looks like the team that was drafted. I'm in a 10-team league and I have been involved in every trade that has been made in my league. I think generally people don't like to trade because they don't want to look stupid in the end or regret the trade in the end.
fantasynewbie7
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:56 pm

I think that it is dumb to have a pat answer like that to be honest. Trading is a tool to help you. Doesn't mean it will always help you, so you need to utilize it judiciously. But to forswear it is a bit stupid. It's the same thing in my opinion as saying "LT is untouchable" REALLY, if someone offered you say a Westbrook and a Peyton for him, or something similar, you wouldn't take it? Or if you don't like westbrook and peyton, pick a similar tandem that fills needs too. I think you should always keep all options on the table.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mystykoekaki » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:14 pm

I love to trade! It's the bees-knees.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pangbones » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:29 pm

I normally don't make too many trades. There are some in my leagues that just have to trade!! And there are some that rarely ever trade. It really just depends on who's on my team and who's injured, what sleepers panned out, etc... Like right now I have 2 good QB's and 5 very good RB's, and 2 elite WR's. So I'm trying to trade a QB and a RB for another elite WR. But I guess for the sake of this thread, I'm more of a nontrader. But I usually make 1-3 trades a year. Just not 15 like some people feel the need to do!!
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cooleyhigh » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:29 pm

The idea of buy low sell high is moot if everyone in the league is up to date on news and trends. I'll pull some high risk trades like I sent out Barber for Moss last year in dynasty but only if I'm overly deep at a position. Trading for the sake of trading does not make a lot of sense.
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:58 pm

cooleyhigh wrote:The idea of buy low sell high is moot if everyone in the league is up to date on news and trends. I'll pull some high risk trades like I sent out Barber for Moss last year in dynasty but only if I'm overly deep at a position. Trading for the sake of trading does not make a lot of sense.

It just seems through every week of the season im looking for smart trades, for instance: halfway through the year Dwayne Bowe was available in the league before he starting his scoring rampage, and I really wanted him but had no room to drop a player who wasnt valued, so ill make a small trade with two wr's I have, try to combine their value and get a team not deep at wr and just take 1 with slightly higher value, then with the room go grab Bowe. Or I look at my team each week and see who is over performing, or at least more then people expected, I always instantly think about trading him for another player at his position who started off slow for a reason, so by the end of the year when things start to balance out your team is alot better...I always test owners in the league to see how they feel about players, I got Lee Evans dirt cheap after the first 3 weeks, thats worth it, If you traded Lamont Jordan for LJ early in the season you probably feel alot better about your team today, I just feel there is always ways 2 improve each week slightly, and I try to capitalize on whatever weaknesses or upgrades I see each week
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby cooleyhigh » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:03 am

I dont disagree with your strategy as it is a good one. I'm just saying smart owners wont take the bait on flavor of the week guys ;-D
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk