If the Pats... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

If the Pats...

Moderator: Football Moderators

If the Pats...

Postby jcde7ago » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:26 am

..whoop the Colts (as in a margin of victory by 14+ points), how many people do you guys think will blame it on Marvin Harrison sitting out? (it's looking like he's going to sit). I was just thinking about this as i was checking up on his status...the Colts homers will probably say, "oh well Marvin sat out so we weren't nearly as good blah blah blah".

Of course it's not a lock that he's not going to play, I just think that it would be ridiculous to hear these kinds of excuses crop up if the Pats do indeed stomp the Colts like they have the rest of the league... :-°
10-Team Yahoo! Keeper League: TheYayArea (in 3rd Year now) 11-0!

Starters:

QB: Tom Brady
WR: Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison
RB: LaDainian Tomlinson, Marshawn Lynch
W/R: Marion Barber III
TE: Chris Cooley
K: Shayne Graham
D: Pittsburgh
jcde7ago
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: If the Pats...

Postby FantasyMan13 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:34 am

Well, there's only a handful of players in the NFL that can actually change gameplans and must be planned around, and he is definitely still one of them when healthy.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby busby » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:52 am

I am definitely a Colts homer, and I would certainly not blame the absence of Harrison for the loss. New England can't shut down the Colts offense even without Harrison.

If the Colts lose, it will be because they are completely unable to stop the New England offense, not because their own offense was not good enough.
Cafe leagues
Any Given Dynasty (4th year) 2-2
Kind of a Big Deal (3rd year) 2-2
4th and Goal Dynasty (2nd year) 2-2
busby
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:57 am

....and how many Patriots fans would have the same complaint were Randy Moss unable to play and the Colts blew them out??? :-B
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby zevon » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:51 am

I think this game is all about the perennial unsung heroes, the lines. Colts had 3 O-Line guys limited this week, Pats have a pretty good pass rush and do pretty well against the run.
Brady, Moss, Welker and to an extent Stallworth are getting the press for the Pats' offensive machine, but it's been the O-Line that's given Brady the time to stand in the pocket for what sometimes seems like minutes until he finally finds somebody open.
I think the Pats are in better shape on both sides of the line right now, and I'd be a whole lot more concerned about Bob Sanders being 100% than Harrison if I were a Colts fan. The offense still has Peyton, Addai, Wayne and Clark, these guys will all see Hawaii in February. Sanders is the guy that seems to make the D come together, for the Colts to have a chance to contain the Pats' O, Sanders is key.
zevon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby jcde7ago » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:17 pm

Already heard a couple of my friends use the "Harrison" excuse today.

Ok, so NE didn't "whoop" Indy per se, but to be honest, it was Addai and the Indy D who stepped up and even gave the Colts a chance at winning this game. Peyton's contribution were pretty much just turnovers (i don't count that 1 yard sneak as a contribution, it could easily have been Addai or someone else), as the pass interference penalties yielded a lot of yards to the Colts and gave them some points...it wasn't even like Manning drove them down the field at will. Even if they had Harrison...i doubt it would have made too much of a difference because all of the Indy receivers were pretty well covered the whole game anyways, outside of the short dump-passes to Addai which he turned into big plays. It was a very, very good game on both sides...but in the end, the Pats showed that they were the better team in a hostile environment.

Any takers? :-b
10-Team Yahoo! Keeper League: TheYayArea (in 3rd Year now) 11-0!

Starters:

QB: Tom Brady
WR: Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison
RB: LaDainian Tomlinson, Marshawn Lynch
W/R: Marion Barber III
TE: Chris Cooley
K: Shayne Graham
D: Pittsburgh
jcde7ago
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Felix the Cat » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:48 pm

I think it was anyone's ballgame, and that anyone who insists that the Pats are now superior to the Colts and thus miles above everyone else in the league didn't pay much attention to the game. It was a very well-matched, even game, well-played on both sides. If the game were a long series instead (like baseball) I think we'd see the Colts win about half the time and the Pats win about half the time.
Felix the Cat
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:58 am

FantasyMan13 wrote:Well, there's only a handful of players in the NFL that can actually change gameplans and must be planned around, and he is definitely still one of them when healthy.

I definitely disagree that Harrison is a scheme changer, he is a great WR, but it is highly debatable that he is even the best WR on his team.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:54 pm

the pats made a great comeback in this one, for a long time i was thinking the colts were gonna win it with the way addai was running.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:01 pm

CC wrote:
FantasyMan13 wrote:Well, there's only a handful of players in the NFL that can actually change gameplans and must be planned around, and he is definitely still one of them when healthy.

I definitely disagree that Harrison is a scheme changer, he is a great WR, but it is highly debatable that he is even the best WR on his team.

I think it's a scheme changer, but only in that they also have reggie wayne. Covering them both is much harder than only covering one. So with harrison out there you are gonna leave one of them more open than the other, or if you sell out on them you have dallas clark and anthony gonzalez. You spread yourself just a little thinner than you do with him out of the game. More room for blitzing.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk