Buying a Car - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Buying a Car

Moderator: Football Moderators

Buying a Car

Postby sox 06 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:17 pm

I'm thinking of buying a car sometime soon, but I have one question. How much do you think I should spend for a used car that won't break down on me after two weeks? I'm seventeen years old so I don't have $10,000 to spend nor do I need a really nice car.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Buying a Car

Postby moonhead » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:47 pm

i think i spent about 5k on my first car. and it was ok. it seems like 5k will buy you quite a bit more car today than it did then. i don't know.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Leber » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:14 pm

I spent 2k on my first car and boy was it a POS...but it did some awesome donuts in the dirt parking lot. ;-D
Leber
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby treat24 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:47 pm

I buy a 1000 or less work car every year or two. It really depends on your definition of "really nice car" on how much you want to spend. What is your budget for the car. once you hit 5k you are looking at a car that will last 3-5 years or more IMO... I spend less than 1000 on my work cars and they last 1-2 years each...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:40 pm

I don't know what size car you're looking for, but you can't go wrong finding a used Honda or Toyota that's in good condition. They retain their value pretty well so you'll have to go back a few years to find something that'll fit your budget. When I was your age I got one and then another Accord and they both ran fine right up till I traded them in at around 175,000 miles.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:13 pm

treat24 wrote:I buy a 1000 or less work car every year or two. It really depends on your definition of "really nice car" on how much you want to spend. What is your budget for the car. once you hit 5k you are looking at a car that will last 3-5 years or more IMO... I spend less than 1000 on my work cars and they last 1-2 years each...

Got any pics of your sweet work ride(s)? :-D

Check out this awesome deal in the Boston area...only ONE DOLLAR OMG!!! :-b
http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/car/467808246.html
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:17 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I don't know what size car you're looking for, but you can't go wrong finding a used Honda or Toyota that's in good condition. They retain their value pretty well so you'll have to go back a few years to find something that'll fit your budget. When I was your age I got one and then another Accord and they both ran fine right up till I traded them in at around 175,000 miles.

I was actually thinking of getting a Honda, I've heard nothing but good things about them.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:06 pm

Buy a used Jeep. Jeeps are reliable and they can be serviceable for awhile. My first car was given to me (more of a rental and it looked like a World War II tank - couldnt go over 45 mph). The second car I bought for about 7,000 at a Jeep place - it was a great buy. I have had it for four years now ( I think it was a 96 Jeep)
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:36 pm

Don't buy a used VW. Replacement parts cost an arm and a leg. :-C

Also, don't buy a used Lexus or Infiniti. Even though they share a lot of parts with the normal Toyotas and Hondas, for some lame reason Lexus and Infiniti parts tend to carry a premium, even though they're the same damn part. :-[

Anyways, for 9K, you might be able to buy a brand new Kia. :-B
Seriously though, can't go wrong with a Honda or Toyota. ;-D
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:49 pm

yes, avoid a luxury label, you'll be paying a premium before you even walk in the door if you do so.

get a well maintained Accord or Camry, or if you want a smaller car, civic or corolla. There are a lot of different models of each so you can still get something suited to you. An Accord coupe 5-speed would be great for you for years and very economical and still sporty. or a civic EX if you want a smaller one you can mod up a bit.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Next

Return to General Talk