Buying a Car - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Buying a Car

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Buying a Car

Postby Metroid » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:54 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Buy a used Jeep. Jeeps are reliable and they can be serviceable for awhile. My first car was given to me (more of a rental and it looked like a World War II tank - couldnt go over 45 mph). The second car I bought for about 7,000 at a Jeep place - it was a great buy. I have had it for four years now ( I think it was a 96 Jeep)

a Jeep Wrangler maybe, Cherokees or Grand Cherokees are pretty much garbage. for a first car I would look for a Toyota or Honda as others have said, also Subaru makes very reliable cars. Toyotas hold their value very well so if you're looking for a small pickup like a Tacoma you'll have to spend a bit of money, but they are well worth it. Personally I would recommend a Tacoma if you can afford it. If you are looking for a small car I would say look at an Accord or Civic...very good cars. Or if you can find someone who has a well taken care of older Subaru, like 88-90, those are really good cars.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:40 pm

This thread surely isn't going to help the Big 3 turn things around. !+)

Buy American or else the terrorists win! ;-D
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:45 pm

Jimboozie wrote:This thread surely isn't going to help the Big 3 turn things around. !+)

Buy American or else the terrorists win! ;-D

Well the "Big 3" make it tough for the poor man. :-b
Metroid

Postby Nfl Fan » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:08 am

Been in the biz for 20 years and currently am Finance Manager at a Chevy store. You might call me an expert on the subject. :-D

Camry and Accord are fine automobiles, but you'll spend far more for them than a newer domestic. If you were only spending 3-4 grand, i'd pick up a newer Grand Am with lower miles way before I'd get some 150,000 mile foriegn car. I've had probably 5 Grand Am's and have had great luck and no service woes. Plus, you get to drive American and I for one prefer to do just that.

My two cents.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Tiki » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:32 am

Subaru's are really nice. Granted I don't know the prices, but that's what I used to deive and it was in the family for about 12+ years I believe. Good stuff.

Post 6k hooray!
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:36 am

Are you guys reading my mind 8-o I've been wanting a Honda Civic for a while. It doesn't really matter what kind of car I get, but I don't really want to spend more than $3,000 for it. All I need is a car that will get me through this year, next year and the year after that.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby treat24 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:56 am

Jimboozie wrote:
treat24 wrote:I buy a 1000 or less work car every year or two. It really depends on your definition of "really nice car" on how much you want to spend. What is your budget for the car. once you hit 5k you are looking at a car that will last 3-5 years or more IMO... I spend less than 1000 on my work cars and they last 1-2 years each...

Got any pics of your sweet work ride(s)? :-D

Check out this awesome deal in the Boston area...only ONE DOLLAR OMG!!! :-b
http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/car/467808246.html

I'll have to check. I had a 1988 Subaru DL for like 5 years. All that thing ever needed was oil changes. never had one single problem with it. Bought it for 200 bucks, sold it 5 years later for for 200 bucks... That was a good deal... Best car I ever owned. I beat the crap out of it. Stick Shift of course. It took a beating and never needed any repairs. That thing was awesome.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Metroid » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:04 am

treat24 wrote:
Jimboozie wrote:
treat24 wrote:I buy a 1000 or less work car every year or two. It really depends on your definition of "really nice car" on how much you want to spend. What is your budget for the car. once you hit 5k you are looking at a car that will last 3-5 years or more IMO... I spend less than 1000 on my work cars and they last 1-2 years each...

Got any pics of your sweet work ride(s)? :-D

Check out this awesome deal in the Boston area...only ONE DOLLAR OMG!!! :-b
http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/car/467808246.html

I'll have to check. I had a 1988 Subaru DL for like 5 years. All that thing ever needed was oil changes. never had one single problem with it. Bought it for 200 bucks, sold it 5 years later for for 200 bucks... That was a good deal... Best car I ever owned. I beat the crap out of it. Stick Shift of course. It took a beating and never needed any repairs. That thing was awesome.

Holy crap you just described my Subaru! 88 stick shift, lemmie guess yours was burgandy too. :-b

I bought mine for 500 bucks and beat the crap out of it till the clutch finally went out. It's been sitting in my driveway since in front of my Impala, sort of like a blockade to keep people from stealing the Impala(I had a non running vehicle stolen once). :-[ :-t

I actually am having the salvage yard pick up the Subaru today. ;-D
Metroid

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:27 pm

I bought a 1998 Pontiac Grand Am GT with 85,000 miles on it for $4500 cash about a year ago. It's definitely the way to go. I have put new tires on it and had a radiator pinhole in the tank, so only about $500 in repairs in a year. Not that bad really. And it gets decent gas mileage. Definitely go for a cheaper vehicle you can pay cash for or pay off quickly. Don't go into debt young if you don't have to.

Basically, you have to find the line in between paying so little you spend way too much in repairs/poor gas mileage and paying too much for something you won't need.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:29 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:If you were only spending 3-4 grand, i'd pick up a newer Grand Am with lower miles way before I'd get some 150,000 mile foriegn car. I've had probably 5 Grand Am's and have had great luck and no service woes. Plus, you get to drive American and I for one prefer to do just that.

My two cents.

LOL, exactly my first car. It's been great for me. I posted my post before I read this one too. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk