Patriots Receivers - Fast Forward to 2008 Offseason - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Patriots Receivers - Fast Forward to 2008 Offseason

Moderator: Football Moderators

Patriots Receivers - Fast Forward to 2008 Offseason

Postby wbgrafix » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:58 pm

The Patriots have some thinking to do on how they are going to handle their receiving core next year. Both Moss and Stallworth are due huge bonuses after the season and I doubt they resign both.

Here is what I think:

They keep Moss, give him the bonus because he certainly deserves it. They move Welker to the #2 spot and they drop Stallworth before his bonus is due.

Am I way off base with this thinking?
wbgrafix
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Patriots Receivers - Fast Forward to 2008 Offseason

Postby RocketsDWM » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:02 pm

I think that is exactly what they will do. Chad Jackson will then become the third option. A healthy Watson should contribute to a lethal passing game once against next season.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SniperShot » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:10 pm

Is Welker the kind of guy you want as a #2 receiver? The guy is thriving in the middle right now burning linebackers and working the middle of the field. Can he get open matched up consistently vs a top notch cornerback on the outside of the field? He's small and quick, great traits for an inside receiver and he's been playing mostly slot his entire NFL career so far. I don't doubt his talent at all, I just see him possibly struggling working as a #2 man.

I think what Welker's doing now is what he should continue to do, Chad Jackson would be a better threat on the outside in my opinion with Welker in the slot 90% of the time.

But I'm not the coach, Belicheat knows best!
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby zevon » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:26 pm

Little early to begin dismantling them, isn't it? :-b

They have money, although I have no idea where they'll be against the cap or how bonuses affect their cap. I try not to pay much attention to the financial side of sports, just tends to irritate me.
There's a half season to go and presumably a deep playoff run. I would think Stallworth's performance over the rest of the season and playoffs will determine whether they keep him or not. He certainly runs well after the catch and seems to be healthy. Time will tell, sooner or later teams are going to have to try to shut down Welker, else he'll keep right on doing what he's been doing. If that happens , Donte could be in for some big games.
I think Welker is an ideal #3, a la Stokley for a few years with the Colts. 2's a bit of a stretch. Chad Jackson gets rave reviews for catching everything thrown his way - in preseason and camp. Jury's way too far out on him, he hasn't been healthy in either of his two seasons. Gaffney gets hardly any PT but tends to convert when thrown to, he might end up being a better option than an injury riddled Jackson.
The way the Pats are playing, I don't want to see ANY changes, but sports being the big business it is, change is inevitable, some good, some bad.
zevon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby gtabaplayr » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:47 pm

I think the plan is to bring Moss back and let Stallworth go. They will pay Moss more than he is making this year, but he will probably come back for a discount. Stallworth has never had that big pay-day, so I would assume that he wants to get that big contract where ever that may be (not with the Patriots).

Chad Jackson is itching to become a part of this offense. He should be activated off the PUP list very soon, otherwise he will be lost for the season. If Jackson is 100 percent healthy, which appears to be the case from all of the reports I've read, and he get's some experience the second half of the season, I have no doubt he will fill Stallworth's role on the Patriots next year. Obviously they have somewhat different skills, but it should be a somewhat seemless transition given all of the other weapons. Jackson was a high draft pick for a reason, injuries have really been the only thing holding him back. From what I have seen, he has a similar skill set to Reggie Wayne - smooth route running and great hands. I'm not saying he will turn out to be as good as Wayne, just that he has that type of potential.
gtabaplayr
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Custer » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:27 am

if they can get stallworth to redo his contract, they will keep him. when they signed him, the intention was to use him as the number one, when he could show off his skills and get a big contract for the 2008 season with another team. with moss around, that plan fell through for him. i doubt he will be able to get the contract he wants and staying with the pats will be his best option. if he wont redo his contract, i highly doubt the pats will keep him. as for moss, it depends on whether he wants the big money or another ring. as good as he is, i still find it hard to believe the pats will pay him the money that some other team would be willing to pay, though i could be wrong. welker will stay and continue to play the way he is now, he is just too good at it to move him outside. hopefully jackson will break out next year, otherwise i see him being cut. i really doubt brown will be back this year and no chance in 2008.
Custer
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby zevon » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:00 am

Custer wrote:if they can get stallworth to redo his contract, they will keep him. when they signed him, the intention was to use him as the number one, when he could show off his skills and get a big contract for the 2008 season with another team. with moss around, that plan fell through for him. i doubt he will be able to get the contract he wants and staying with the pats will be his best option. if he wont redo his contract, i highly doubt the pats will keep him. as for moss, it depends on whether he wants the big money or another ring. as good as he is, i still find it hard to believe the pats will pay him the money that some other team would be willing to pay, though i could be wrong. welker will stay and continue to play the way he is now, he is just too good at it to move him outside. hopefully jackson will break out next year, otherwise i see him being cut. i really doubt brown will be back this year and no chance in 2008.

Moss doesn't have a ring.
I like his chances on getting one this year but they aren't handing 'em out quite yet.
zevon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk