Everybody Cheats...Even the Colts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Everybody Cheats...Even the Colts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Everybody Cheats...Even the Colts

Postby gtabaplayr » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:04 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Yeah, I clearly lumped ALL Patriots fans into one big category.


Well you did qualify your statments, but it didn't quite come off like that when I finished reading your post maybe it's just me though. Patriots fans have been in a defensive mode the entire year. Sometimes warranted and sometimes not, they've had to see their team/coach/organization/players critiqued week-in and week-out by irrational/annoying trolls and others. It puts them in a tough position trying to mitigate public sentiment with team loyalties. It's pretty easy to see why some Patriots fans would jump all over this story, they saw an opportunity to be on the offensive for the first time this year just like all of the people who have been pouring it on the Patriots the entire season. I'm not saying it's the right way to go about things, but they saw an opportunity to give a shot after taking a bunch the first half of the season.

I hope it's all about on-the-field play from here on out this year.
gtabaplayr
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 395
Joined: 6 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Everybody Cheats...Even the Colts

Postby Axl's Army » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:41 pm

New England = Jerks.
Indy = Cool Guys.
Ed Hoculi = A Sexual Gym Rat Guy.
Image

Yo Mama is so fat . . .
Axl's Army
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 565
Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Watching Shonn Greene Make Defenses Look Silly

Re: Everybody Cheats...Even the Colts

Postby FatFoot » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:54 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I love how certain fans open their mouths before the evidence for or against something starts rolling in. Patriots accuse the Colts of something and all the sudden it's legit. Someone hears something on Youtube and, naturally, it's enough evidence to stamp the Colts as cheaters.

Some of you opened your mouths just largely enough to insert both feet, Pats fans. Why is it that some of you do such a horrible job of representing your team? The Pats should be a proud franchise, with humble fans who respect the game of football. These days, many of you are acting quite obnoxious. You're either too busy pointing fingers at everyone else when your own team is correctly labeled a cheater, or you're desperately trying to convince yourselves, and others, that your team, and coach, have class. It must be a glorious time for all of you. 9-0 to start the year, three Super Bowl rings to start the decade and you're labeled one of the least classy teams in the league outside of the Raiders. It's a pity that 20 years from now, when Brady and Belichick are retired, we'll look back on the Patriots legacy and remember your Super Bowl rings almost as often as we'll remember Videogate, The Tuck Rule and one of the least respectful coaches of the modern era.

I suppose that's why some Patriots fans are often so quick to open their mouths before thinking - they have to defend something that's almost indefensible. They can't deny that their own team is one of the least likeable teams in the league and that their coach is one of the biggest jerks in pro sports. Three Super Bowl rings and some of you still feel like you have something to prove to the world. It's like you have a hole that's so filled with pride you can't find a way to fill it no matter how many rings you win. At least Raiders fans embrace who they are. Patriots fans can't even claim that. They're too busy trying to defend their wrongdoings by claiming everyone else is just as bad as they are. 20 years from now and the Patriots will still be remembered for the things they couldn't win on the football field.


This whole post screams "attitude problem."
If you were really as "above it all" as you pretend to be, you wouldn't be posting in this thread.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3259
Joined: 28 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In the Belly of the Beast

Re: Everybody Cheats...Even the Colts

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:10 am

FatFoot wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I love how certain fans open their mouths before the evidence for or against something starts rolling in. Patriots accuse the Colts of something and all the sudden it's legit. Someone hears something on Youtube and, naturally, it's enough evidence to stamp the Colts as cheaters.

Some of you opened your mouths just largely enough to insert both feet, Pats fans. Why is it that some of you do such a horrible job of representing your team? The Pats should be a proud franchise, with humble fans who respect the game of football. These days, many of you are acting quite obnoxious. You're either too busy pointing fingers at everyone else when your own team is correctly labeled a cheater, or you're desperately trying to convince yourselves, and others, that your team, and coach, have class. It must be a glorious time for all of you. 9-0 to start the year, three Super Bowl rings to start the decade and you're labeled one of the least classy teams in the league outside of the Raiders. It's a pity that 20 years from now, when Brady and Belichick are retired, we'll look back on the Patriots legacy and remember your Super Bowl rings almost as often as we'll remember Videogate, The Tuck Rule and one of the least respectful coaches of the modern era.

I suppose that's why some Patriots fans are often so quick to open their mouths before thinking - they have to defend something that's almost indefensible. They can't deny that their own team is one of the least likeable teams in the league and that their coach is one of the biggest jerks in pro sports. Three Super Bowl rings and some of you still feel like you have something to prove to the world. It's like you have a hole that's so filled with pride you can't find a way to fill it no matter how many rings you win. At least Raiders fans embrace who they are. Patriots fans can't even claim that. They're too busy trying to defend their wrongdoings by claiming everyone else is just as bad as they are. 20 years from now and the Patriots will still be remembered for the things they couldn't win on the football field.


This whole post screams "attitude problem."
If you were really as "above it all" as you pretend to be, you wouldn't be posting in this thread.


So now I have an attitude problem because I share an opinion? :-?

So I suppose anytime someone is against something, or "above it" as you stated, they shouldn't speak their mind? How does that make any sense at all?
Image
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14333
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Room 7609

Re: Everybody Cheats...Even the Colts

Postby fezzik » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:35 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
FatFoot wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I love how certain fans open their mouths before the evidence for or against something starts rolling in. Patriots accuse the Colts of something and all the sudden it's legit. Someone hears something on Youtube and, naturally, it's enough evidence to stamp the Colts as cheaters.

Some of you opened your mouths just largely enough to insert both feet, Pats fans. Why is it that some of you do such a horrible job of representing your team? The Pats should be a proud franchise, with humble fans who respect the game of football. These days, many of you are acting quite obnoxious. You're either too busy pointing fingers at everyone else when your own team is correctly labeled a cheater, or you're desperately trying to convince yourselves, and others, that your team, and coach, have class. It must be a glorious time for all of you. 9-0 to start the year, three Super Bowl rings to start the decade and you're labeled one of the least classy teams in the league outside of the Raiders. It's a pity that 20 years from now, when Brady and Belichick are retired, we'll look back on the Patriots legacy and remember your Super Bowl rings almost as often as we'll remember Videogate, The Tuck Rule and one of the least respectful coaches of the modern era.

I suppose that's why some Patriots fans are often so quick to open their mouths before thinking - they have to defend something that's almost indefensible. They can't deny that their own team is one of the least likeable teams in the league and that their coach is one of the biggest jerks in pro sports. Three Super Bowl rings and some of you still feel like you have something to prove to the world. It's like you have a hole that's so filled with pride you can't find a way to fill it no matter how many rings you win. At least Raiders fans embrace who they are. Patriots fans can't even claim that. They're too busy trying to defend their wrongdoings by claiming everyone else is just as bad as they are. 20 years from now and the Patriots will still be remembered for the things they couldn't win on the football field.


This whole post screams "attitude problem."
If you were really as "above it all" as you pretend to be, you wouldn't be posting in this thread.


So now I have an attitude problem because I share an opinion? :-?

So I suppose anytime someone is against something, or "above it" as you stated, they shouldn't speak their mind? How does that make any sense at all?


Not really liking either team, I've found this thread pretty funny...but I'll take a stab at answering this question, because TBH you had a chance here to actually be "above it"...but...while being fairly articulate, your post contained:

Derision

Condescension

Antagonism

Hypocrisy

These elements weren't necessary to make your point, but...it just looks like you had an emotional response when you felt like your team was vindicated...nothing wrong with that, but there's no need to pretend like your post was anything but caustic and abrasive. ;-)

Arguably...even classless. :-b
Last edited by fezzik on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
I only dog paddle...
fezzik
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 256
Joined: 9 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In the moment

Re: Everybody Cheats...Even the Colts

Postby FatFoot » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:36 am

Sorry, I would have responded (was watching MNF on TiVo) but that sums it up better than I would have.

And I think I'm clearly not a fan of either team, though I enjoy watching both teams.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3259
Joined: 28 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In the Belly of the Beast

Re: Everybody Cheats...Even the Colts

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:05 am

fezzik wrote:
These elements weren't necessary to make your point, but...it just looks like you had an emotional response when you felt like your team was vindicated...nothing wrong with that, but there's no need to pretend like your post was anything but caustic and abrasive. ;-)

Arguably...even classless. :-b


I'll give you that, my post was certainly abrasive because I let my emotions show. Also, I'm not above admitting that I could have gone about this differently. However, you can't argue that quite a few Patriots fans around here, and elsewhere, seem to look for any reason to deflect blame when it comes to their team's actions. That was the basis for what I was trying to convey before my emotions took over and turned this thing into a crap-flinging contest. I think Patriots fans should be able to enjoy their dynasty. Unfortunately, it seems that the Pats are almost as well known for what the team doesn't do right. While I do think the media is doing its best to make the Pats out to be villains, the Pats themselves, along with a defensive fanbase, are making it all too easy. It's just unfortunate that the team, as great as it is, has been overshadowed by controversy, finger-pointing and abrasiveness.
Image
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14333
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Room 7609

Re: Everybody Cheats...Even the Colts

Postby portisfan24 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:27 am

I have tons of respect for you DDD, but go back and read the whole thread again. There are lots of non-Pats fans who jumped on this as much as Patriots fans did. Also, it was reported by a pretty reliable source and lots of fans admitted to hearing some sort of disturbance in the audio feed. Add to that the fact the Colts have been accused of this before and I would say you have at least some ground to stand on calling the Colts cheaters/classless. They have been cleared now and I assume we should be able to move on.

PS- I am not condoning past, shall we say "indiscretions," of certain Pats fans. Trying to defend the taping was silly, but I guess you have to defend your team to a certain degree. I won't address the running up the score issue because I am one of the fans who tends to get a little defensive about that paticular subject. ;-D
Image
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6196
Joined: 4 May 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Canada

Re: Everybody Cheats...Even the Colts

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:42 am

portisfan24 wrote:I have tons of respect for you DDD, but go back and read the whole thread again. There are lots of non-Pats fans who jumped on this as much as Patriots fans did. Also, it was reported by a pretty reliable source and lots of fans admitted to hearing some sort of disturbance in the audio feed. Add to that the fact the Colts have been accused of this before and I would say you have at least some ground to stand on calling the Colts cheaters/classless. They have been cleared now and I assume we should be able to move on.

PS- I am not condoning past, shall we say "indiscretions," of certain Pats fans. Trying to defend the taping was silly, but I guess you have to defend your team to a certain degree. I won't address the running up the score issue because I am one of the fans who tends to get a little defensive about that paticular subject. ;-D


I appreciate that, Portisfan. I definitely got emotional and made myself out to look like a hypocrite in the process. Fans will be fans, I suppose. Whether it comes to defending your team or calling out a rival - it's all part of the game. B-)
Image
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 14333
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Room 7609

Re: Everybody Cheats...Even the Colts

Postby Keyser_WV » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:20 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:They can't deny that their own team is one of the least likeable teams in the league and that their coach is one of the biggest jerks in pro sports. 20 years from now and the Patriots will still be remembered for the things they couldn't win on the football field.


I am a Steelers fan and I can tell you 20 years from now I will think that Tom Brady is one of the greatest QB's of all time, Bill Belichek (sp?) is one of the greatest coaches of all time, and the Patriots of 2000-2010 were the best team of the decade hands down.

I think people love to try to knock the top dogs (not DDD specifically, in general) down a few notches and will nitpick any way they can.

I think spygate is overated and I also think it is ridiculous to call Bill Belicheck classless. The guy wears a hooded sweatshirt and people make a huge deal of it. That's high school stuff.

If you want to call someone classless I would say Eric Mangini is your guy. It's fine when he did it but he turned snitch when he left the organization. That would get you shanked in some places :-b
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar

Posts: 907
Joined: 4 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bushkill, PA

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 13:46 hours
(and 45 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact