College RB's - Who will be the best in the pro's? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

College RB's - Who will be the best in the pro's?

Moderator: Football Moderators

College RB's - Who will be the best in the pro's?

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:31 pm

I dont follow college that much but is McFadden supposed to be the number one running back coming out of college next year? Who is projected to perform the best in the NFL? In other words, whose game translates better to the NFL?
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: College RB's - Who will be the best in the pro's?

Postby mikus » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:07 pm

You might get some more love (and better answers) to this question if you go here:

viewforum.php?f=17

Some real die-hard college folks up in there.

McFadden, to me, clearly is the most talented and NFL-ready back of all the backs in college. He is the clear cut No. 1 RB in the class IMHO.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby CC » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:28 pm

McFadden is the clear #1 RB in this years class but there is going to be a ton of RB talent in this draft.
If all the top juniors come out (unlikely) we are looking at a crop like this (loosely ranked in order):

McFadden*
Jonathon Stewart*
Felix Jones
Rashard Mendenhall*
Ray Rice*
Steve Slaton*
Jamal Charles
James Davis*

The senior RB crop is weak although there are some solid guys in there:

Mike Hart
Ryan Torain (if he is healthy)
Tashard Choice

The *'s denote the juniors I think will declare for the draft.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:40 pm

the 49ers are gonna end up with a horrible record and the patriots are gonna draft mcfadden ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tclangham » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:05 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:the 49ers are gonna end up with a horrible record and the patriots are gonna draft mcfadden ;-D

It makes no sense why the Patriots would still be able to get this pick. It looks like it will be a top 10 pick for a team that will atleast make the AFC championship game. It just sickens me how the rich get richer.
10 Team $ Keeper League - Jockey Full of Tim Tebow - (5-4)
QB - 2RB - 1Flex - 2WR - TE - D/ST - K

QB- Luck
RB - Alf, L. Bell, Jackson
WR - Marshall, Allen
TE - Gates
D/ST - Dolphins
K - Vinatieri

Fantasy Football Cafe - Survivalist League - tclangham
tclangham
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 29)

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:34 pm

CC wrote:McFadden is the clear #1 RB in this years class but there is going to be a ton of RB talent in this draft.
If all the top juniors come out (unlikely) we are looking at a crop like this (loosely ranked in order):

McFadden*
Jonathon Stewart*
Felix Jones
Rashard Mendenhall*
Ray Rice*
Steve Slaton*
Jamal Charles
James Davis*

The senior RB crop is weak although there are some solid guys in there:

Mike Hart
Ryan Torain (if he is healthy)
Tashard Choice

The *'s denote the juniors I think will declare for the draft.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

CC - I really respect your opinion as you seem to have a wealth of knowledge about the college game. I was wondering:

-Out of that list, who will be the best pro's? Is it McFadden? Anyone else who might have a solid NFL career? Who would you compare McFadden to that is in the NFL now?

Thanks again ;-D ;-D
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Axl's Army » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:31 pm

mikus wrote:You might get some more love (and better answers) to this question if you go here:

viewforum.php?f=17

Some real die-hard college folks up in there.

McFadden, to me, clearly is the most talented and NFL-ready back of all the backs in college. He is the clear cut No. 1 RB in the class IMHO.

No. No you won't. The information in that forum is as stale as Tony Kornheiser's bull crap jokes. I hate that guy, as an aside.

Yo Mama is so fat . . .
Axl's Army
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby CC » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:45 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

CC - I really respect your opinion as you seem to have a wealth of knowledge about the college game. I was wondering:

-Out of that list, who will be the best pro's? Is it McFadden? Anyone else who might have a solid NFL career? Who would you compare McFadden to that is in the NFL now?

Thanks again ;-D ;-D

McFadden looks like he will be a really good one, his running game reminds me of Addai a bit, but he is a lot more versatile a back. McFadden is not quite the prospect Peterson or Bush was, but he is probably the 3rd best RB prospect we have seen in the last 5-7 years.

Jonathon Stewart is a great RB prospect that I have been hyping since he was a freshman and I think is a top 10 talent. Think a more physical Frank Gore.

Felix Jones is McFadden's backup but has over 1000 yards and is averaging more YPC than DMC this year, I think he will go back to school next year and get a chance to carry the load.

Mendenhall should be a nice NFL back and is having a great season at Illinois, he is debatable to come out this year, but he should be a late 1st kind of guy.

Ray Rice has been great at Rutgers and while I am not completely sold on him as an NFL workhorse, he has the potential, he does have a lot of mileage in college though.

Charles and Slaton are both speed backs that I see as guys that would be ideal in a RBBC.

James Davis has speed and power and will leave school because he is the 2nd best RB on his team (sophmore CJ Spiller will be a top 10 pick when he comes out) I like him a lot as a prospect.

Hart is a workhorse with great vision, great toughness, and who never goes down on the first hit. He is small and not a burner though, so he will not be a very high pick, he could continue to play well at the next level.

Torain is coming off an injury, so it remains to be seen how good he will be when he gets back.

Hope that helped.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:19 pm

Thanks ;-D ;-D
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Lung » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:38 pm

McFadden, Stewart and Jones make up the upper tier and there's a big drop-off to the next tier ,imo. McFadden has been on everyone's radar for the past few years but Jonathan Stewart has been coming on REALLY strong and is arguably the better pro prospect. He's listed at 5'11" 230 lbs, runs with power, keeps his feet moving and can really move a pile.

Steve Slaton is highly overrated, imo. He's listed at 5'10" and 185 lbs. and while he can run circles around lame Big East defenders, I question his speed and durability in the NFL. He reminds me of a Michael Bennett who is quick but isn't going to get the tough yards. Slaton would likely only be effective in a RBBC teamed along with a bruising back.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Next

Return to Football Talk