Priest Holmes - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Article Discussions

Priest Holmes

Moderators: daullaz, Football Moderators

Priest Holmes

Postby WebHamster » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:21 am

This thread contains comments on KC Chance's Sleeper "Priest Holmes", which was featured in the Cafe's Sleepers section on November 6, 2007. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

Pick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 206)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Priest Holmes

Postby FatFoot » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:12 pm

I know it's for sort of humor factor, but Priest would have been a sleeper pick MAYBE a couple of weeks ago. Now he's a pretty obvious pick... pretty much a must have, for an LJ owner or anyone who is hurting at RB.

I chuckled at the intro, though, and you are an asset to the site.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby latraffic » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:55 pm

FatFoot wrote:I know it's for sort of humor factor, but Priest would have been a sleeper pick MAYBE a couple of weeks ago. Now he's a pretty obvious pick... pretty much a must have, for an LJ owner or anyone who is hurting at RB.

I chuckled at the intro, though, and you are an asset to the site.

Now that kind of critisim I can live with. And you're right, even I mention ol' Priest in the "Back from the Dead" article weeks ago, which means he's something of older news. Still, LJ's ankle moves Priest up from a speculation to a reality. He should have to a carry the rock in double digit numbers for the first time in two plus years. I'm eager to see what he can do, especially against Denver's marshmellow run defense.

Still... how often do you get to recommend a future HOF as a sleeper? I couldn't resist and until I saw LJ gimp off, I didn't think Holmes had an honest chance to make an impact. I figured they'd just brought him out ot sell tickets and jerseys in a ho-hum year for them. Whoops! Now he's starting! :-*
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dj Spice » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:26 pm

How can you possibly call Priest Holmes your "Sleeper" pickup of the week? Unless you were born within the last 2 years, you probably know Padre was the LT (and now it looks like AD) of the first half of this decade. I would bet that in leagues without a waiver period, Priest is already owned by at least 95% of owners. In fact, in my two $ leagues, he was picked up last week. Without going on forever, If you want to call someone a "Sleeper", I suggest you find someone who hasn't been a concensus top 3 pick in multiple years.

Dj Spice
Dj Spice
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby dream_017 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:02 pm

Dj Spice wrote:How can you possibly call Priest Holmes your "Sleeper" pickup of the week? Unless you were born within the last 2 years, you probably know Padre was the LT (and now it looks like AD) of the first half of this decade. I would bet that in leagues without a waiver period, Priest is already owned by at least 95% of owners. In fact, in my two $ leagues, he was picked up last week. Without going on forever, If you want to call someone a "Sleeper", I suggest you find someone who hasn't been a concensus top 3 pick in multiple years.

Dj Spice

He hasn't been a consensus top 3 pick for multiple years. This year? No! Last year? No! The year before? No, again.

Suggest a nice sleeper and maybe we can take you seriously
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby latraffic » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:42 am

Dj Spice wrote:How can you possibly call Priest Holmes your "Sleeper" pickup of the week? Unless you were born within the last 2 years, you probably know Padre was the LT (and now it looks like AD) of the first half of this decade. I would bet that in leagues without a waiver period, Priest is already owned by at least 95% of owners. In fact, in my two $ leagues, he was picked up last week. Without going on forever, If you want to call someone a "Sleeper", I suggest you find someone who hasn't been a concensus top 3 pick in multiple years.

Dj Spice

Thank you for your feedback, Dj Spice. May I suggest however that you actually read the article before commenting in the future? It would be much appreciated.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:05 pm

Why are these sleepers turning into a flame fest for know-it-all newbies? They are all good recomendations imo. In fanball for example, Priest was owned in 4% of leagues until after the Tuesday morning waiver periods.

We shouldn't have to remind people that this site isn't just for the people that think they know everything and are 9-0 at this point in the season. This is a community, where the flow of information (created by writing) is meant to be spread to a broad audience. This is one of the reasons that I love this site and why it is such a great environment for conversation, etc.

This site's membership certainly includes the seasoned vets, but how many people out there are less dedicated than we are and appreciate this kind of information? I play in a league with 12 guys (8 of whom are over the age of 50) who have families and jobs and not a lot of free time, and they appreciate this kind of advice. Come on anyway, it isn't like anyone is pointing out that you should pick up Marion Barber because he is only owned in 99% of leagues. Lots of people probably didn't otherwise know about Jason Wright an Ryan Grant, or that Chris Henry was coming off suspension just in time to fill an important void in the Bengals offense. I love football and fantasy sports as much as anyone, but there is a large audience out there that is seeking advice and knowledge about this subject for various reasons. That is why there is a boon in print media in the preseason for magazines including sleepers, rankings and cheat sheets; and why sites like this thrive in the long term for that matter.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents worth...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby latraffic » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:19 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:Why are these sleepers turning into a flame fest for know-it-all newbies? They are all good recomendations imo. In fanball for example, Priest was owned in 4% of leagues until after the Tuesday morning waiver periods.

We shouldn't have to remind people that this site isn't just for the people that think they know everything and are 9-0 at this point in the season. This is a community, where the flow of information (created by writing) is meant to be spread to a broad audience. This is one of the reasons that I love this site and why it is such a great environment for conversation, etc.

This site's membership certainly includes the seasoned vets, but how many people out there are less dedicated than we are and appreciate this kind of information? I play in a league with 12 guys (8 of whom are over the age of 50) who have families and jobs and not a lot of free time, and they appreciate this kind of advice. Come on anyway, it isn't like anyone is pointing out that you should pick up Marion Barber because he is only owned in 99% of leagues. Lots of people probably didn't otherwise know about Jason Wright an Ryan Grant, or that Chris Henry was coming off suspension just in time to fill an important void in the Bengals offense. I love football and fantasy sports as much as anyone, but there is a large audience out there that is seeking advice and knowledge about this subject for various reasons. That is why there is a boon in print media in the preseason for magazines including sleepers, rankings and cheat sheets; and why sites like this thrive in the long term for that matter.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents worth...

So, can I just make this whole statement my signature? :-)

Well said and appreciated. You know, this is my second year writing reliably for this site and doing sleepers and I'm sorry to realize that last year wasn't a fluke. The sleepers are a target and it is impssible to find a sleeper everyone is satisfied with. You can be certain I won't be talked into doing this a third year in a row.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Article Discussions