Longest return record: a crock of hoooey? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Longest return record: a crock of hoooey?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Longest return record: a crock of hoooey?

Postby kaiser » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:51 pm

I believe it. It just seems strange that, afetr 12,000+ games in the history of the NFL, that's the first time someone has taken it 109 yards to the house.
Thanks to madaslives911 for my Flutie sig!
kaiser
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:55 pm

kaiser wrote:I believe it. It just seems strange that, afetr 12,000+ games in the history of the NFL, that's the first time someone has taken it 109 yards to the house.

doesn't seem strange to me. It basically has to be on a missed FG that you are playing deep for. Many people back in the day would just let that go. also, they may have everyone on the line to block the FG. Basically what I am trying to say is that the situation itself is not all that common and than to actually return it that whole way and not step out of bounds, get tackled, or have a penalty thrown makes it even less likely.

Did anyone see that replay? He really caught that thing at the very end of that endzone 8-o
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kaiser » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:34 pm

I hear you, but i still say that, in 12000+ games, you would think it would have happened at least once before.
Thanks to madaslives911 for my Flutie sig!
kaiser
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bagobonez » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:37 pm

I could have sworn an Eagle had an interception against Dallas in the back of the end zone and returned it 109 for a Td. Maybe I'm wrong.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:25 pm

bagobonez wrote:I could have sworn an Eagle had an interception against Dallas in the back of the end zone and returned it 109 for a Td. Maybe I'm wrong.

That was 101 yds or something. You're talking about the game where Drew Bledsoe melted down against the Giants on MNF, right? Lito Sheppard intercepted that pretty much at the goal line and returned it for a TD.

Anyways, deeray has it right pretty much. Only missed FGs have a chance to be returned for more than 100 yards, and most teams don't bother putting anyone back there unless the FG attempt is more than 55 yds. Most special teams coaches teach their returners to let kickoffs and punts go out of bounds or kneel on it rather than risk getting tackled on the 5 yard line.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby treat24 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:02 pm

It really was 110... They needed to check if his foot was out when he caught it. It wasn't, it was clean... but he was literally at the edge of the endzone. It is pretty much impossible to have been farther back than him.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:42 pm

treat24 wrote:It really was 110... They needed to check if his foot was out when he caught it. It wasn't, it was clean... but he was literally at the edge of the endzone. It is pretty much impossible to have been farther back than him.

That was my point Gary :-b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk