WGA strike affecting your favorite TV show? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

WGA strike affecting your favorite TV show?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: WGA strike affecting your favorite TV show?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:29 pm

eastcoaster wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:what's even dumber (or smart business practice i guess) is that they're fighting over how much royalites they should get off of internet content

Yeah, I think business practices haven't yet caught up with technology. I mean, how are they going to enforce anything about internet content? I truly see their point (in the music industry as well), but I think they all just need to rethink how they approach the business. Just forget the traditional delivery methods of CD. Make the first song of the next project free on the internet at the same time you go public with it, and have people pay to download more if they want, in whatever format they choose..or something.

The old methods just don't work anymore.

Pretty much. The studios claim they pay royalties off of content distributed on the Internet and that it's significant enough for the writers while the writers think otherwise. As I might have said before, this is going to be a tricky issue because the studios could have to see themselves having to concede royalties in the future to even PA's because of their involvement in production to some extent.

From what I know, talks are on and off again. No one is a real rush it seems.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:03 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
eastcoaster wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:what's even dumber (or smart business practice i guess) is that they're fighting over how much royalites they should get off of internet content

Yeah, I think business practices haven't yet caught up with technology. I mean, how are they going to enforce anything about internet content? I truly see their point (in the music industry as well), but I think they all just need to rethink how they approach the business. Just forget the traditional delivery methods of CD. Make the first song of the next project free on the internet at the same time you go public with it, and have people pay to download more if they want, in whatever format they choose..or something.

The old methods just don't work anymore.

Pretty much. The studios claim they pay royalties off of content distributed on the Internet and that it's significant enough for the writers while the writers think otherwise. As I might have said before, this is going to be a tricky issue because the studios could have to see themselves having to concede royalties in the future to even PA's because of their involvement in production to some extent.

The studios are going to fight tooth and nail for all the money they get off DVD sales. Like the music industry not figuring it out until iTunes smacked them in the face with a fist-load of cash, the movie/TV industry is heavily reluctant to move away from DVD. Two new digital content services did come out from Apple and Amazon, but Amazon's version is handicapped with crap for content since they conceded so much to the studios, leaving nothing good to buy/DL, and Apple's service might get tanked with the same thing with Walmart trying to blackmail the studios. Walmart is the 3rd or 4th largest seller of DVDs in the world and they want to keep their money.

Anyways, as for how long this strike can go, I've read rumors that it can go well into 2008. Once all the shows run out of scripts, I plan on not watching TV at all except for football games. I hate reality shows. I'm also dreading how bad some new movies are going to be, since so many studios rushed scripts into production to get it started before the strike started.
:-o
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:31 am

i also read 2009 will suck for movies because alot of scripts were hammered out now but with no one writing currently they wont be shooting anything when those scripts run out
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:10 pm

beanoX3 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Pretty much. The studios claim they pay royalties off of content distributed on the Internet and that it's significant enough for the writers while the writers think otherwise. As I might have said before, this is going to be a tricky issue because the studios could have to see themselves having to concede royalties in the future to even PA's because of their involvement in production to some extent.

The studios are going to fight tooth and nail for all the money they get off DVD sales. Like the music industry not figuring it out until iTunes smacked them in the face with a fist-load of cash, the movie/TV industry is heavily reluctant to move away from DVD. Two new digital content services did come out from Apple and Amazon, but Amazon's version is handicapped with crap for content since they conceded so much to the studios, leaving nothing good to buy/DL, and Apple's service might get tanked with the same thing with Walmart trying to blackmail the studios. Walmart is the 3rd or 4th largest seller of DVDs in the world and they want to keep their money.

Anyways, as for how long this strike can go, I've read rumors that it can go well into 2008. Once all the shows run out of scripts, I plan on not watching TV at all except for football games. I hate reality shows. I'm also dreading how bad some new movies are going to be, since so many studios rushed scripts into production to get it started before the strike started.
:-o

Right, Hollywood just isn't a flexible business with the bureaucracy many of the studios have and just the ultra-conservative stance on responding to changes that could disrupt their current business models.

Interesting side note: yesterday, I walked to Hollywood & Highland where they had the WGA strike were I go to lunch just to get away from the office. I found it funny that there's a rally in front of the Kodak while I had seen a dozen writers eating at the nearby CPK. Lightweights. :-b Then again, with everyone shouting, "SHARE!" which kind of smacks of a wild rallying cry for a Cher retirement tour stop in L.A., I don't blame them.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby wake » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:02 am

I noticed Carson Daly is attempting to come back to his late night show this week even though he doesn't have any writers. His show has never been very good, but it was actually akward watching him show pictures of his staff's vacations from the last month.

I do have to give the show credit for trying to come back though.
wake
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby houstonherdfan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:24 pm

WEll, don't watch much TV. The only show I watch regularly is Hero's. Other than non scrpted shows like football, basketball, dirty jobs, and a few other things on the educational channels.

so this won't bother me much. I'll just spend more money at the used bookstore a couple blocks from the house. I might even cancel my cable for the duration after football season is over anyway.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby treat24 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:19 am

YAY IT'S OVER!
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby RiffRaff » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:45 am

treat24 wrote:YAY IT'S OVER!

Time to get those next 8 episodes of Lost done. Oh, and to kill these reality TV shows. ;-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby knapplc » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:48 am

I'm ready for more of The Office. I just realized in January how much I like this show. I've caught up on past episodes through the second episode of this season, and I'll be fully caught up by the end of the month, so I'm ready for more. Excellent show, and one of the best since Friends went off the air.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:50 am

knapplc wrote:I'm ready for more of The Office. I just realized in January how much I like this show. I've caught up on past episodes through the second episode of this season, and I'll be fully caught up by the end of the month, so I'm ready for more. Excellent show, and one of the best since Friends went off the air.

a guy from tv guide said the office will be one of the quickest to return. yay...

what really bums me out is that this season of the office was supposed to be 30 episodes straight, no weeks off. It was gonna be a first in a long time that a show did that. i was so excited for it. now look what happened... ugh
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk