Another High School Club - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Another High School Club

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Another High School Club

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:21 am

Nfl Fan wrote:Life begins at conception.

And therein lies the debate. It's not quite that cut and dry. For all the evidence that says life begins at conception, there's an equal amount that says otherwise. To just simply say "life begins at conception" as if that is an absolute fact is erroneous.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:28 am

Nfl Fan wrote:I was unplanned. My mom was an unmarried teen. If I was aborted, I would be dead. So again I ask, has anyone ever had the right to kill me?

I've pretty well stayed out of this topic as it's been discussed many, many times. However...

The answer to your question is different for everyone. Obviously, you believe life begins at conception, which is fine and cool, but there are others that don't believe that, so yes, people do believe it is ok to abort a mass of cells that isn't a person yet. Unfortunately, science cannot prove exactly when a child is a child, so everyone's opinion is simply based on what they believe, and no one can be proven right or wrong in their feelings or beliefs. If one believes that a child is a child at conception, then odds are they are against abortion. If one believes it's nothing more than a mass of cells, then odds are that they are pro-choice. That's pretty much the bottom line factor for where people decide which side of the fence they are on, and the science on all of it doesn't answer the questions.

No different than what you underlined above. You believe that you would be dead if you were aborted, but do you "know" that? What if your mother decided to abort at that time, but have a kid later. How do you know you wouldn't still be you? A little younger obviously, and most likely a bit different genetically (taller, shorter, hair color, etc), but you don't know for sure that your soul never would have existed. So we're talking "soul" at this point and getting into religion, so I'll stay away from that, but honestly, no one knows if you would exist now or not had your mother aborted. The only way to know for sure is if she had decided to never have a child. Then of course you wouldn't have existed, but otherwise, no one knows for sure.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:47 am

knapplc wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:
knapplc wrote:I have half a mind to play Devil's Advocate for both sides and argue against everybody here. I could do a pretty good job of it, I'll bet. }:-)

Would that be arguing for complete birth control? O:-)

I don't think that would go over very well even around here. :-o

That's not what I'm saying at all. All I'm saying is... what I just said ^^^ up there to steeler. I know most of the arguments pro and con on this subject, so I could debate either side equally well.

Forgive me. I tried to insert a slightly funny comment in a serious thread, but alas, to no avail. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:54 am

Good for her. ;-D

My personal opinion is that any abortion is a travesty. You can argue all you want about when life starts, but also remember that it usually takes a woman a month or so to figure out she's pregnant. By that time, the baby's heart is completely formed and beating. A couple more weeks and you've got fingers and toes, etc. It's tough for me to look at the pictures and try to justify statements like "It's not a baby yet." But that's just me.

Additionally, there's a huge double standard. For example, how can the government fine you $1000 for breaking an eagle's egg while also allowing the killing of unborn babies? Seems to me if it's wrong/bad/illegal to kill an unborn eagle, a human should have just as many (if not more) rights. I just don't get it...
Big Pimpin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:56 am

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:10 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:Additionally, there's a huge double standard. For example, how can the government fine you $1000 for breaking an eagle's egg while also allowing the killing of unborn babies? Seems to me if it's wrong/bad/illegal to kill an unborn eagle, a human should have just as many (if not more) rights. I just don't get it...

Aren't eagles you speak of like endangered or something? :-?

Sadly I don't think we're in any danger of running out of humans. :-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby moonhead » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:11 pm

Metroid wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Additionally, there's a huge double standard. For example, how can the government fine you $1000 for breaking an eagle's egg while also allowing the killing of unborn babies? Seems to me if it's wrong/bad/illegal to kill an unborn eagle, a human should have just as many (if not more) rights. I just don't get it...

only intelligent ones.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:15 pm

Metroid wrote:

So you really think that because a species is endangered its life should be valued higher than a human's? I just don't agree.
Big Pimpin
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:18 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Metroid wrote:

So you really think that because a species is endangered its life should be valued higher than a human's? I just don't agree.

No thats not what I think at all...actually what I think is there are to many pesky humans around and not enough eagles, eagles are kick ass...really I'm just being an ass. Carry on. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:24 pm

But you've got a nice... maybe I shouldn't finish that thought.... :-o
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk