Any keeper types that could be had for cheap? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Any keeper types that could be had for cheap?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Any keeper types that could be had for cheap?

Postby ivesaidway2much » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:16 am

steelerfan513 wrote:
ivesaidway2much wrote:Ronnie Brown is a horrible pick for next year. ACL injuries always take 2 years to fully heal. Just look at Braylon Edwards last year vs. this year. Or Mcnabb last year vs. this year. Brown's not going to be very good in 2008, but in 2009 he'll be huge value pick.

Carson Palmer fully recovered in less than a year from his ACL injury. Edwards was plagued as much by a bad knee as he was by a bad offense. Players are recovering from knee injurys much, much quicker these days.
Carson Palmer doesn't need his mobility as much as McNabb. Whereas McNabb lives off of running around behind the line and making something out of broken plays, Carson is more of pocket passer. He can get by with a knee at 80%. However a running back or wide receiver would be more likely to struggle. If they are slowed down, even a little, their production is going to suffer. And the general feeling I got from read Browns fan forums last year was that Braylon looked slow and was protecting his knee whenever he ran in the area of defenders.

mikus wrote:If you play in a keeper league and have the ability to keep Ronnie Brown for several more seasons, it is not so horrible a pick by any means.
Unless it's a dynasty league, I think either trading Ronnie away or keeping a healthier back and letting him go is the smarter play. He'll be much cheaper next year if he struggles early on. In the same vein, those who make a move on McNabb now, will probably reap the benefits next year.

As for someone who is definitely keeper-worthy and cheap, I'd go with Dwayne Bowe. Even with a zero-catch game last Sunday, he's still nearly on pace for a 1000 yard season on a pretty crappy offense. And this is as a rookie. IMO, this year Bowe is probably the cheapest he ever will be.
ivesaidway2much
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:54 am

I was very disappointed that Anthony Gonzalez didn't step up when given his first start in the biggest game of the year with everybody watching. But his subpar performance may be attributable to injury and may have kept him under the radar for a little while longer. He could be Marvin's heir and a good sleeper.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DraftDodger » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:08 pm

Max Power wrote:Laurent Robinson WR ATL

Guy will be huge once ATL gets a QB.

But when might that be? Unless they make a big free agent or trade move, that leaves the draft, and you can't expect anything out of a rookie quarterback (not saying you won't get anything, just that you can't expect it).

Not a situation I'd want to touch at this point. Atlanta could be one of those teams in for a long run of hard times.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby YerInUrine » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:17 pm

Sidney Rice on Minn.. He looks pretty good this yr. If they get a QB he will be nice.
YerInUrine
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby benb18a » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:29 pm

mikus wrote:If you play in a keeper league and have the ability to keep Ronnie Brown for several more seasons, it is not so horrible a pick by any means.

If I had him in addition to the RBs I have on my two keeper teams, he would be a no brainer to keep, even this year :~(

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Champagne Supernova » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:51 pm

Im really liking Michael Turner. I think there is a ton of value there considering he could very easily be a starter next season. Chicago, Houston, Tampa, or Green Bay seem like the most likely destinations at the moment.
Champagne Supernova
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby abrunn11 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:50 pm

One guy that was already mentioned is Sydney Rice. I think the Vikes will go after McNabb in the off season (Childress connection and they have a ton of $) and Rice will be the clear-cut #1 there next year. I like Rice to out-produce Reggie Brown's 2006 (when he was McNabb's #1 for most of the season).

Someone who has not been mentioned is Ladell Betts. He is an unrestricted free-agent who has proven to be able to carry the load when given the opportunity. I see him going to somewhere next year and being a #1. I do not think 1200-1400 yards and 8 TD's is out of the realm of possibility.

You can probably get Demetrius Williams for peanuts right now. Once the Ravens get a QB that can actually throw the ball he and Clayton will be a formible 1-2 punch. The good thing about DW is you can get him for nothing, the bad part is he will probably play second fiddle to Clayton as long as he is with the Ravens.

Brandon Marshall's stock has probably gotten too high to be in this conversation, but I like his near future value.

Cadillac Williams may be had for cheap. If can afford to sit on him for 2 years, he may pay dividends. This guy has a ton of talent, for some reason he has not been able to produce on a consistant basis, or any basis for that matter. Watch this guy in college, I find it hard to believe he will not be ever be able to find his stride in the NFL.
abrunn11
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Ek » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:26 pm

Cadillac Williams, Ladell Betts, Ronnie Brown, and Michael Turner are all good options.

Deuce McAllister, although it's dependant on how well he recovers from injury.

I could see Greg Olsen having a big year next season as well, and he won't cost much. Both of those are more for leagues where you have at least 4-5 keepers, although usually if you're looking for cheap keepers at this point it means your team isn't all that great (I'm there to).
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Jackalope » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:23 pm

Champagne Supernova wrote:Im really liking Michael Turner. I think there is a ton of value there considering he could very easily be a starter next season. Chicago, Houston, Tampa, or Green Bay seem like the most likely destinations at the moment.

With those teams as turner's likely destination... where do you think Turner will fall as far as RB's next season?

top 10... top 15?

Cheers
Jackalope
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby gtgrad95 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:13 pm

abrunn11 wrote:
Someone who has not been mentioned is Ladell Betts. He is an unrestricted free-agent who has proven to be able to carry the load when given the opportunity. I see him going to somewhere next year and being a #1. I do not think 1200-1400 yards and 8 TD's is out of the realm of possibility.

Betts? He just signed a big contract last year. He'll be in Washington for a while.

Ladell Betts - 12/8/2006: Signed a five-year, $11 million extension through 2011. The deal included a $3.5 million signing bonus. 2007: $595,000 (+ $2 million roster bonus + $100,000 workout bonus), 2008: $605,000 (+ $100,000 workout bonus + $2 million roster bonus), 2009: $900,000, 2010: $1.65 million, 2011: $1.4 million, 2012: Free Agent
gtgrad95
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk