Best Man Speeches - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Best Man Speeches

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Best Man Speeches

Postby treat24 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:08 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I also want to add to my previous post, the toast is important, but it doesnt have to be that hard to make up ahead of time. Stick to the formula: Joke, best wishes, toast, exit stage left.

possibly hug the groom, grope the bride jokingly... oh yeah, and vomit on shoes... ;-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:24 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Tell a short joke or an amusing antidote about your friend - MAKE SURE ITS SUITABLE FOR EVERYONE. If its even a little racey, chuck it and find another. Have some class.
Know exactly what you want to say and rehearse it a few times.

Yes, an antidote should be given after poisoning the groom. You want to make sure he can enjoy his honeymoon, at least.
:-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:13 pm

beanoX3 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Tell a short joke or an amusing antidote about your friend - MAKE SURE ITS SUITABLE FOR EVERYONE. If its even a little racey, chuck it and find another. Have some class.
Know exactly what you want to say and rehearse it a few times.

Yes, an antidote should be given after poisoning the groom. You want to make sure he can enjoy his honeymoon, at least.
:-b

Yeah, I'd give the antidote to any fella ready to tie the knot to cure Mad "Cow" Disease. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:44 pm

lol - anecdote or antidote. Spelling was never my forte, but in this case, antidote may be more appropriate anyway. :-b

This subject is just a pet peeve of mine. I have been to too many receptions where the half drunk best man can barely link 2 sentences together, let alone say something meaningful to the bride and groom on one of their most important days, or if they are a talker they just ramble on and on until they realize they have lost the plot a long time ago and raise their glass as an ending. Its embarassing to watch, and I guess I see it becoming more and more common for the best man to wing it rather than take 15 minutes to put something together as a sign of respect for his best friend. This is their day, the least the best man can do is honor them with a decent toast. Like I said, its a rather large pet peeve.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dolfin99 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:59 pm

Do keep it personal
Don't make it embarrassing

Do make a joke or two if you want to
Don't make it so funny that the bride and groom won't be laughing

Do take the time to say what you want to say
Don't talk just for the sake of talking; don't upstage the bride and groom

Do thank the people who helped make the day possible, especially the parents of the bride and groom
Don't forget their names

Do try to relax before you get up to speak
Don't drink so much that you can't keep your composure

The last one is the most important and the hardest to get right. :-b ;-D
Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig.
Dolfin99

EditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Metroid » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:15 pm

For my buddies wedding I pretty much just winged it. I started off by saying how beautiful the bride(Suzanne) was and how lucky the groom(Chris) was(and how I still wasn't sure he hadn't drugged her or tricked her in someway). I Thanked everyone for being part of such a special day for two very special people. Said how from the moment I met the Suzanne that I knew she was a perfect match for Chris. Then mentioned how Chris(I used his nickname 'Q' though)and I had known each other since high school and told some silly quick little story that I can't remember right now. I thanked everyone again and then said that there was one person who couldn't be here today but I know he is looking down on you right now Chris and couldn't be prouder. I raised my glass and told the bride and groom I loved them both and wished them a long and happy future together.

When I mentioned the Grooms father who had passed a little over a year earlier there wasn't a dry eye in the house and after the toast the place erupted. It was a tough call to bring such a happy atmosphere down a notch but it really worked and the groom instantly hugged me and thanked me as did the bride and the grooms mother and various other family members throughout the evening.

I've been in several weddings and never prepared a speech its always worked out for me. The one above was by far the best one though.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:37 pm

Don't mention ANYTHING that happened at the bachelor party. ;-D
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:14 pm

wow good stuff in this thread... some great advice and some great editorials. Several people have spelled it out well above, don't drink too much before hand, have an idea if not notes on what you want to say, keep it completely unoffensive, remember that it is all about them.

As Best Man, are you also planning the Bachelor Party? That can be almost as important for keeping the Groom out of trouble as your need to give a good speech resonsibility is. Avoid strip clubs... as cliched as it is, strippers and Grooms usually amount to angry wife. Unless of course you all can keep a secret ;-D ;-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Previous

Return to General Talk