Brian Westbrook - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brian Westbrook

Moderator: Football Moderators

Brian Westbrook

Postby eaglesfan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:36 pm

He is currently #1 in points from WR/RB position...why doesn't this guy get more consideration as a top 3 pick...Injury history? Who else would you rather have after LT next season? AD?
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Brian Westbrook

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:49 pm

eaglesfan wrote:He is currently #1 in points from WR/RB position...why doesn't this guy get more consideration as a top 3 pick...Injury history? Who else would you rather have after LT next season? AD?

westbrook had some of his best games last season when mcnabb was out. Prior to last season he was the no. 2 weapon on that team behind mcnabb and the overused passing game. Then when mcnabb got injured they paid attention to mr. westbrook. People weren't confident that they would continue to use westbrook in all situations, so he dropped. I'd say next year he is a lock for top 5.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby eaglesfan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:53 pm

Agreed on your points, I was just wondering considering the uncertainty next year towards the top of the draft with RB's. Gore, SA, Rudi should all fall out of the 1st...maybe not Gore depending on his finish. Westbrook seems to perform year in and year out and gets overlooked by some. In a PPR this year I took him 4th, in this same league next year I would considering drafting him at 2 or 3.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby jfg » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:53 pm

He probably will be a top 3 pick next year if he stays healthy for the rest of the year. I draft him every year knowing I'm getting a top 3 running back in my PPR league. It's worth the risk that he might miss a couple games because every other running back drafted late first round or early second is risky as a player who can produce every week. However....as a top 3 pick he becomes really risky. You want a guy at that spot who you know is going to be producing week in and week out barring a fluke injury. Westbrook is not that guy. If he projects as a top 3 pick next year it will probably be the first year I don't own him.

I'd draft LT, Addai and Brady before him. Maybe Manning too.
jfg
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:00 pm

jfg wrote:He probably will be a top 3 pick next year if he stays healthy for the rest of the year. I draft him every year knowing I'm getting a top 3 running back in my PPR league. It's worth the risk that he might miss a couple games because every other running back drafted late first round or early second is risky as a player who can produce every week. However....as a top 3 pick he becomes really risky. You want a guy at that spot who you know is going to be producing week in and week out barring a fluke injury. Westbrook is not that guy. If he projects as a top 3 pick next year it will probably be the first year I don't own him.

I'd draft LT, Addai and Brady before him. Maybe Manning too.

Ha. Can't wait for next year when brady returns to above average numbers as opposed to his career year numbers. Brady is not a first round pick. Neither is Manning. But that can wait for next offseason. PPR westbrook is probably 1b overall to LT.
(Thanks Leber)
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Teck » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:58 pm

I got good ol' westy 11th in a PPR league (dynasty) I also got edge in that draft, along with ADP and Lynch in the rookie draft. (#1 and #3 picks after trading ronnie brown) I got lucky :)

Dude has been one of the best PPR for the past few years.. in my big $$ league he's been..

3rd this year (220 points to date) (overall)
5th last year (overall)
top 10 rb in 05
top 10 rb in 04

idk if you're in a PPR league LT is obviously the #1 choice, and I think westy has to be up there with the next pick.
Thanks Wicked for the sig!
Teck
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:58 pm

personally, I think he is the most underrated back in the NFL. His value to the Eagles is probably as important as any other back not named tomlinson. I'm not saying this lightly, or as a homer. You can just see it (see the game versus the giants). his dual threat ability usually combines nicely with mcnabb's (when healthy), as teams have a lot to factor in with every snap. He is a lot better between the tackles than anyone gives him credit for, and in space, I don't think there are many (or any better--again, not named tomlinson). He is a quality player. That said, he drops for two reasons: one overt, the other subtle. And both have merit. I argue he isn't an injury risk as much as he gets credit for. That being said, he always has something going on, even if he plays. It makes decision making difficult. The other reason, is reid is still addicted to donovan, so westbrook gets his touches, but they aren't always rushes. In the end sum of things, it really doesn't have a practical matter statistically, he still gets his. BUT, since his yardage is more evenly divided between rushing and receiving relative to the rest of the backs in the league, I think he doesn't get as much hype in shows, and I think that gets reflected in his draft perception. He never seems to have the buzz, rather, people who end up with them feel almost like they "have to take him" or his the normal pick. Heck I personally felt that I both got a steal and settled-at the same time in a draft--when I got him at seven. He is my favorite eagles player almost ever, but there is a connotation with him that is hard to shake fantasy-wise, even though he flat-out performs when in.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:46 pm

yeah, sometimes you feel a little guilty in your .5pr league when he gets 9 receptions for 60 yards no tds and 30 yards rushing and somehow he's the 6th ranked back for the week. Oh wait. That is awesome!
I love the perception around westbrook. Nobody likes him, and he's the most consistent rb in the league for fantasy because he gets his whether they are having success on the ground or through the air.
(Thanks Leber)
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kilroy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:24 am

skibrett15 wrote:yeah, sometimes you feel a little guilty in your .5pr league when he gets 9 receptions for 60 yards no tds and 30 yards rushing and somehow he's the 6th ranked back for the week. Oh wait. That is awesome!
I love the perception around westbrook. Nobody likes him, and he's the most consistent rb in the league for fantasy because he gets his whether they are having success on the ground or through the air.

I've got him in two 1PPR leagues. One team is 8-2, the other's 8-1-1.

Guilt Schmilt. :-D

In a PPR league I'd have no problem taking him at number 2.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:46 am

Interesting to note about Westbrook: he hasn't fumbled in his last 458 touches, and has only three since 2004, which spans 984 touches.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk