This story gets worse and worse - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

This story gets worse and worse

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: This story gets worse and worse

Postby Atog » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:30 pm

More good press for Detroit...

Really, things aren't like this usually :-/
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:32 pm

Atog wrote:More good press for Detroit...

Really, things aren't like this usually :-/

Yes....yes they are. :-/
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:27 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Because splashing "Sex Offender" in the headline gets attention. It's absolutely ridiculous that they continue to bring that up throughout the story if, as they report, that is immaterial to the murder.

Agreed. If it was a revenge murder or something, fine, but its obviously just to add hype to the story.

I've thought the same thing. The press keeps the preface: "Convicted sex offender..." in play making it as if he were a child molester or serial rapist. Not that a 17 year old boy and 14 year old girl is a good thing, but it's a far cry from the implication.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby beanoX3 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:37 pm

"Sex offender" seems like a popular word with media types, since they know it's use will create sensationalism. I remember some story a year back in Chicago where some father pushed real hard and got a conviction for statutory rape for a 16 year old kid who slept with his 16 year old daughter. Guy is now stuck with the "sex offender" label for the rest of his life.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:39 pm

beanoX3 wrote:"Sex offender" seems like a popular word with media types, since they know it's use will create sensationalism. I remember some story a year back in Chicago where some father pushed real hard and got a conviction for statutory rape for a 16 year old kid who slept with his 16 year old daughter. Guy is now stuck with the "sex offender" label for the rest of his life.

Yeah thats BS, if you're underage it should go away when you turn 18. :-?
*note* I am not supporting underage sex I just feel the tag of "sex offender" for these kids is harsh.
Metroid

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:11 pm

Metroid wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:"Sex offender" seems like a popular word with media types, since they know it's use will create sensationalism. I remember some story a year back in Chicago where some father pushed real hard and got a conviction for statutory rape for a 16 year old kid who slept with his 16 year old daughter. Guy is now stuck with the "sex offender" label for the rest of his life.

*note* I am not supporting underage sex I just feel the tag of "sex offender" for these kids is harsh.

They should definitely be in a different category as those those that are child molesters, etc. Consensual sex between two 16 year olds and the guy gets statutory rape and the sex offender label for the rest of his life because of a breakup is pretty harsh.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:37 pm

Metroid wrote:

When I was in undergrad I was a Crim major. We had a police officer come in who specialized in sexual offenses. He hated sex offenders, but told us an interesting story. A guy was convicted of a sex crime and sentenced to 10 years, but got out in 5 years. The guy was 18 and his G/F he lived with was 16 and the mom turned him in for statutory rape because they go an a disagreement. He had lived with them for over a year and the mom knew, but this minor argument had her call the cops. The guy married this girl when he got out and had a child. Now he cannot go see any of his daughters plays, musicals, go to the park etc. b/c he was forced to register as a sex offender. When Halloween comes around he can't give put candy at his house or go with his daughter to trick or treat b/c he is a sex offender.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby RiffRaff » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:30 pm

As a so called "Man", I tried to turn the tables on this girl when I was 16 and she was 19. She pissed me off one day and I thought it would be fun to get her in trouble with the law.

Mom talked be out of it though.

That night I learned that Mom was much better than my sister anyway. ;-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby Metroid » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:41 pm

RiffRaff wrote:That night I learned that Mom was much better than my sister anyway. ;-D

I could have told you that and saved you some heartache. :-b
Metroid

Postby Madison » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:26 am

Some students met Monday with crisis team counselors. Ruggirello said he expected more students would meet with counselors on Tuesday after details about the slayings were released.

*Rolls eyes*

People die. People kill. That's life. Move on.

Art Vandelay wrote:Because splashing "Sex Offender" in the headline gets attention. It's absolutely ridiculous that they continue to bring that up throughout the story if, as they report, that is immaterial to the murder.

Agreed. Anything for ratings. :-P

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk