The Patriots are Doing It "Old School" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Patriots are Doing It "Old School"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The Patriots are Doing It "Old School"

Postby APAP » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:11 pm

See, I think that part of the reason that Belichick doesn't let up when hes up 52-7 IS in part to get back at the league. As much as we say Belichick is respected, overall he really isn't that much. Teams and everybody else wanted to jump all over him because he got caught cheating in THE FIRST HALF OF THE FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON. Not like it was 2-3-4 or halfway through, but less than halfway thorugh one game. Nobody stood up for Belichick even in the smallet, tiniest little but and even mentioned that it was during the first game of the year or anything like that, so I don't blame him for being pissed off.

Now back to the topic, I agree with the first post that said there isn't really any such thing as running up the score in a professional league. If any team had done it and got complained at for doing it I'd say suck it up and try playing Defense, it's your fault you got in this whole anyways. But I do love how it's only called running up the score when the Pats do it.....
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigBadBrawler » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:45 pm

I'm not really a Pats fan, but I'm far from a hater, and it is fun watching them play this year. I think they absolutely do run up the score (that's fairly obvious) and I do think that they do it knowingly and on purpose, with intent. I also think there's a common courtesy agreement in the NFL to sit on huge leads late in the game (whether we agree with that unwritten rule or not, I think it exists). I think most posts on these topics are much too far to the extreme on the whole Pro-Pats/Anti-Pats and Pro-Bellichick/Anti-Bellichick arguments this year (not neccessarily in this thread, just in general) and like most things, the answer's probably somewhere in the middle. I think Bellicheck isn't the villian he's made out to be by all the haters (but there are plenty of skeletons in his closet to use as ammunition, and some of them do present a pretty class-less picture) and I think the cheating thing wasn't nearly as big of a deal as it was made out to be (I don't think it really has that much affect on the games, and I think a large portion of the league does similar things). As for running up the score, I'm not sure what Bellichick's motivation is, but I do have to admit that it doesn't feel right to me. I hear a lot of "both teams are professionals getting paid to play" and "if they don't like it they should stop them" or other similar arguments (and those are all actually valid points that I can't really dispute). But the fact is that NE is better than everybody they've run up the score on. By a lot. Is that NE's fault? Absolutely not. Do they owe the other teams anything? Absolutely not. But just because you can beat a team of professionals by 7 TDs and they can't stop you, doesn't mean you actually have to. A win's a win, and showing some consideration when you're destroying another team isn't required, but it doesn't really hurt.

Oh and Kill, good post man. Ah, the good ol' days of your youth, back in the 1940's when you used to watch teams with part-time factory workers absolutely maul each other 73-0... :-b
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:54 pm

i always thought it funny that a lot of college football games are won by 50+ points.....no one complains about those?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fantasizing » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:32 pm

Nothing wrong with running up the score. You don't even want to give the opponent even the glimmer of hope of thinking about the remote possibility of formulating any notion or idea whatsoever of staging a possible comeback. So as Bellichek says to his wife before he goes to bed on sunday nights: "We had to go for the jugular dear"........

And as for the comment on Bellichek not knowing of his misbehaving tactics earlier in the season is ridiculous. I've never seen a player, much less a coach, get fined half a million dollars.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby u_fig_eater » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 am

Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Azrael » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:57 pm

I don't think teams have a right to complain about someone running up the score if they still have their starters in and are trying to score themselves. So what? It was 35 and 42 to 7 and the Pats had 4th downs inside the 15 or 10 and went for it both times. Why? 1. Because they could. and 2. Because they knew the Bills could not drive the ball 90+ yards on them. You could see it on the Bills' fans faces at the game. Both times they thought they ensured a field goal attempt after stopping them on 3rd and goal only to see Brady lining up in shot gun and then their jaws dropped. TD and TD followed by cascades of boos. And you know what I loved it. I don't like the Patriots but I love to see a good drubbing as much as I love to see a last minute drive to win a game.

But don't complain about running up the score if you are going to try to come back. People want them to stop scoring but then they run their offense out there in the 2 minute drill half way through the 3rd. What? You are still trying to score so stop complaing about them trying to score. Take a knee if you feel like you're done. I think it's up to the losing team to "surrender" if you've had enough. If you aren't going to admit defeat then don't complain about getting your faces rubbed in it.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:19 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:i always thought it funny that a lot of college football games are won by 50+ points.....no one complains about those?

That's because the talent differential is usually much larger in those college games.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby russellzisky » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:20 pm

It appears the talent differential is pretty large in these Patriots' game as well :-D
russellzisky
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: The Patriots are Doing It

Postby PMoneyTKE » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:42 am

Patriots suck :-D
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk