Dreamweaver Help - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Dreamweaver Help

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Dreamweaver Help

Postby eastcoaster » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:09 pm

gtabaplayr wrote:I was just checking the Dreamweaver support center, and I think I may have found the solution:

http://www.adobe.com/support/dreamweave ... ote05.html

Determining the remote site's host directory (FTP only)
The host directory you specify in the Site Definition dialog box (see Associating a remote server with a local site) should be the same as the root folder for the local site. If the structure of your remote site doesn't match the structure of your local site, your files will be uploaded to the wrong place and won't be visible to visitors to the site. Also, your image and link paths will be broken.

The remote root directory must exist before Dreamweaver can connect to it. If you don't have a root directory for your site on the remote server, create one before attempting to connect, or ask the server's administrator to create a root directory for you if you can't do it.

If you're uncertain what to enter in the Host Directory field, try leaving it blank. On some servers, your root directory is the same as the directory you first connect to with FTP. To find out, connect to the server. If a folder with a name like public_html, or www, or your login name, appears in the Remote File view in your Site window, that's probably the directory you should use in the Host Directory field. Write down the directory name, disconnect, and reopen the Site Definition dialog box. Then enter the directory name in the Host Directory field and connect again.

Does anyone know how I would get the structures to match? I think I have an idea, but I'm not exactly sure - I guess I'll just mess around with it for a while. Hopefully I can get it back to normal by tomorrow.

I use Dreamweaver, and I've had trouble like you're describing before. The way I keep it straight is to have one folder on my local drive that contains the structure exactly as it is on my remote site. If you switch back and forth from remote view to local view in the drop-down menu on the top right-hand side bar (use the Files tab), you can create the same files (and files within files) on your local system.

Then, as you're uploading your images or files, you can just upload them by clicking on them in the local view, and then hitting upload. It will put them in the right place if you have your file structures the same. Make sense?

Also, as you're playing around with the remote structure (if you're still not sure about the root), then you can upload an image at a time (while moving around the file structure if necessary), and then go back to your browser to check if the image displays. That way you're not trying to move whole directories around without knowing where you're going.

Hope that makes sense and helps some. Kind of hard to explain from this perspective :-?
eastcoaster
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk